Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What material are silver-colored cassettes made of?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 04:22 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

And durability wise, are they better or worse than surface-rusted steel cassettes? Not a lot of information to go with because I don't have cassette removal tool to take them off the wheel. I also screwed up and didn't focus the camera when I took this pic.

Old 06-03-20, 04:35 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Plating is probably nickel for corrosion resistance but underlying material is often steel or aluminum.

Last edited by Tony P.; 06-03-20 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 05:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
And durability wise, are they better or worse than surface-rusted steel cassettes? Not a lot of information to go with because I don't have cassette removal tool to take them off the wheel. I also screwed up and didn't focus the camera when I took this pic.
And magnets are impossible to get.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 06-03-20, 05:08 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Plating is probably nickel for corrosion resistance but underlying material is often steel or aluminum.
+1 very likely nickel with a copper underplate for adhesion, as nickel does not adhere well to either aluminum or steel.
If chrome it is almost certainly copper, then nickel as a barrier layer (chrome will react with the copper) and chrome on top of that.
Old 06-03-20, 05:32 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
And magnets are impossible to get.
Ah, I do have an abundance of magnets sitting around. Will give that a try.
Old 06-03-20, 08:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have a couple of old Shimano N600 freewheels with plated-cogs that are silver in colour. They are form the mid 1980s and the plating is still solid as is t he plating on my silver colour Uniglide cassette cogs.
Old 06-03-20, 10:00 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Good cogs are made of tool-level hard steel. Plating will rub off on the teeth if they work. You have to apply protection no matter whether you start plated or not. The only practical reason for going with plating is that it is likely to correlate with the overall amount of effort going into the manufacturing.
Old 06-03-20, 11:40 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So I have confirmed that it is indeed steel by doing the magnet test

Originally Posted by 2_i
Good cogs are made of tool-level hard steel. Plating will rub off on the teeth if they work. You have to apply protection no matter whether you start plated or not. The only practical reason for going with plating is that it is likely to correlate with the overall amount of effort going into the manufacturing.
The reason I made the thread is to figure out if this cassette which has extra holes carved out for weight reduction is as durable as my other cassette which doesn't have weight reduction in design and has started rusting because it was left outside for a while. I wont to figure out which ones I should use for my main bike.

I had thought the silver one is worse because it may not be steel, but turns out it is steel. The other set has already started rusting, and rust can cause friction and furthering wear.

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; 06-04-20 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 12:56 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Cassette rust is mainly cosmetic.
It’ll wear off in minutes from the flanks on the teeth.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-04-20, 07:39 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Rust on a cassette isn't a problem. The places where the chain contacts the teeth are constantly "polished" (worn) by the chain. And since the chain should be lubed, those areas won't get or stay rusty. A nickel plated cassette might resist rust better than a black painted one, but it doesn't really matter. Clean the cassette if you want and call it a day.

Virtually all cassettes are made from hard steel. Some very expensive ones will have titanium larger cogs to save weight, not to improve durability. And some "event" cassettes were made from aluminum to save even more weight, but they wear out almost immediately.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 06-04-20, 03:48 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
+1 very likely nickel with a copper underplate for adhesion, as nickel does not adhere well to either aluminum or steel.
If chrome it is almost certainly copper, then nickel as a barrier layer (chrome will react with the copper) and chrome on top of that.
I spent the summer before my senior year in high school doing an internship at a chemicals company, running experiments on electroless nickel plating. Unfortunately I can't remember too much about it, but it was pretty interesting and I think it's used a lot in the automotive industry.
Old 06-04-20, 04:55 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I spent the summer before my senior year in high school doing an internship at a chemicals company, running experiments on electroless nickel plating. Unfortunately I can't remember too much about it, but it was pretty interesting and I think it's used a lot in the automotive industry.
Electroless nickel, as you know, leaves a layer of nickel-phosphorus (or less commonly nickel-boron) alloy which is quite porous and does not have the rust resistance of plated nickel so it is used for stuff like trim or for wear resistance on internal parts.
My experience was in the semiconductor industry so very pure plating layers were required; the phosphorus or boron would have "doped" the silicon or gallium semiconductors. Better than 99.999% ("five nines plus") purity was the norm.
Likes For dsbrantjr: