Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Claris 3x8 shifters with Claris 2x8 drivetrain

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-09-20, 01:21 AM
papaki72

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport Sora (now), Whistle Modod Flatbar (retired)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I have a fitness bike with a flat bar and Claris 2x8 shifters and drive train on it. I would like to convert it to a road bike by swapping the handle bar and its shifters with another one that comes with the Shimano Claris 2403 (8x3) on it. Are these compatible, or can they be adjusted so that they can be used with the 2x8 drivetrain?
Old 07-09-20, 04:06 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by papaki72
I have a fitness bike with a flat bar and Claris 2x8 shifters and drive train on it. I would like to convert it to a road bike by swapping the handle bar and its shifters with another one that comes with the Shimano Claris 2403 (8x3) on it. Are these compatible, or can they be adjusted so that they can be used with the 2x8 drivetrain?
It should shift. The derailleur cable tension and limit screw should be set-up to prevent using the big chainring position of the shifters.

There could be some problems if the shifter has trim positions, as it's possible that they won't work as intended.
Old 07-09-20, 05:00 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
It should shift. The derailleur cable tension and limit screw should be set-up to prevent using the big chainring position of the shifters.

There could be some problems if the shifter has trim positions, as it's possible that they won't work as intended.
I would suggest setting it up to use the big and middle positions of the shifter and letting the cable go slack if accidentally shifted into the small position. Trying to lock out the big ring position with the high limit screw can result in jamming or damage to the shifter if attempting to shift against the stop; having a slack cable will do no damage.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-09-20, 05:17 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've set up triple shifters to work with just 2 front rings. Should work fine.
Old 07-09-20, 06:53 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I would suggest setting it up to use the big and middle positions of the shifter and letting the cable go slack if accidentally shifted into the small position. Trying to lock out the big ring position with the high limit screw can result in jamming or damage to the shifter if attempting to shift against the stop; having a slack cable will do no damage.
It won't damage anything and avoids having 3 clicks and 2 gears. The limit screw would just block the shifter engaging the big chainring.

I've ridden for 6 years with a 11sp mountain bike shifter with a 10sp cassette and the last shift blocked with the limit screw without any issue.
Old 07-09-20, 06:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
It won't damage anything and avoids having 3 clicks and 2 gears. The limit screw would just block the shifter engaging the big chainring.

I've ridden for 6 years with a 11sp mountain bike shifter with a 10sp cassette and the last shift blocked with the limit screw without any issue.
If you do manage to get the shifter into that third position, your cable will be very tight and the ratchet under a lot of stress. It may be difficult to shift back down without slacking the cable due to the pressure on the escapement.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-09-20, 07:02 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you do manage to get the shifter into that third position, your cable will be very tight and the ratchet under a lot of stress. It may be difficult to shift back down without slacking the cable due to the pressure on the escapement.
If you manage to get the shifter into that position I'll suppose you'll have bigger problems. Like a broken shifter paddle, cracked mechanism, broken cable, or at least a slipping cable. Specially on a FD that usually has quite a long throw.

As I've said I have run a similar setup on a RD (that needs a lot less travel to engage) for 6 years and I can assure you that it's totally impossible to engage the last position without the cable slipping or breaking something if you set it up correctly.
Old 07-09-20, 07:21 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Why do you need to replace your 2x shifter? Can't you continue to use it? Is there a problem with mixing your old 2x shifter with the new right side shifter?

I thought 3x shifters sometimes don't come with trim? So you'll be losing the ability to trim if you do use it?

I switched my Shimano double FD with 11 speed type long pull to a SRAM yaw FD which doesn't need trim, but continued to use the Shimano long pull shifter with trim. I disabled the trim by setting the high limit screw to high trim which effectively disabled high index position. I can easily get the trigger into high index position. I thought that the extra cable pull and tension against the limit screw simply gets taken up by the spring in the parallelogram mechanics. Or maybe I'm wrong and the extra tension is taken by the mechanics in the shifter?

Anyway because it's a long pull shifter, both the low index and low trim are slack.
Old 07-09-20, 02:22 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
2 of my bikes are 3x8 shifters on 2x8 drivetrains. They work great. The front derailleur limit screws keep me from shifting the chain off the outside chainring.
Old 07-09-20, 02:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I’ve setup bikes with brifters using the low/middle on a 2x. Didn’t have any issues.

Also Claris 3x8 has trim.

John