Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Train Derailment Affects the C&O

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Train Derailment Affects the C&O

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 10:40 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Hopefully someone in charge at CSX will realize the importance of fixing the bridge and prioritize its repair. It looks like fencing and decking and probably some supports need to be replaced. Not that big a deal, unless the company is run by lawyers.
Old 12-26-19, 11:47 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Good to know. I haven't been north of Brunswick since May. I remember just north of HF being dirt like with a lot of ruts. I don't remember the details of the surface between HF and Brunswick but it was different. I do ride the southern section a lot. They did a 5 mile section from Whites Ferry south with the crushed stone liek you described this year too. It was done in phases over a few months. It ended up settling out to a decent surface but for a while it was like oatmeal and loose. Eventually the excess fines bed in or wash off and and the slurry subsides, at least it did there. I prefer the random packed larger gravel over the new crushed they are doing but that's me.
They have extended the new stone from Whites Ferry to past Nolands Ferry. Currently working on re-stoning from Nolands Ferry to Brunswick. Brunswick all the way to Shepherdstown has been completed. Makes for easier bike riding, but will admit it is oatmeal right now.

I was walking the canal yesterday from Nolands Ferry to and from Monocacy yesterday. I could not see the bottom of my shoes when done. Had to scrape the stones off.
Old 12-26-19, 01:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Hopefully someone in charge at CSX will realize the importance of fixing the bridge and prioritize its repair. It looks like fencing and decking and probably some supports need to be replaced. Not that big a deal, unless the company is run by lawyers.
Looks to be more than 200' (those cars are about 57.5', if not longer) attached to a bridge, most of which is over water, carrying a busy freight line. Engineering and work plans will have to be submitted and reviewed. Contractor(s) with all the necessary training will have to be engaged, possibly through a competitive bidding process. Materials will need to be ordered and delivered. If the track needs to/can be taken out of service, and alternate service plan may need to be developed, and customers may need to be notified of potential service disruptions. If the track cannot be taken out of service, repairs will take longer and be more costly. I think we quote a cost of around $1,800/day/flagman. Probably need two for that job.
Old 12-26-19, 01:13 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
They have extended the new stone from Whites Ferry to past Nolands Ferry. Currently working on re-stoning from Nolands Ferry to Brunswick. Brunswick all the way to Shepherdstown has been completed. Makes for easier bike riding, but will admit it is oatmeal right now.

I was walking the canal yesterday from Nolands Ferry to and from Monocacy yesterday. I could not see the bottom of my shoes when done. Had to scrape the stones off.
Ah, that is awesome news. When they did the work from brunswick heading north they did it in stages: first drag/clear a section, then put down a first layer of stone, then put down dust, before finally running the rollers on it. Even after they finish working on a section it takes a while to settle. I thought the new surface was ruined right away when it rained and then a bunch of horses used it. After a heavy rain later that week you couldn't tell the horses had been there (on a related topic I wish the horse riders would remove their manure from the path...). So, it was still pretty soft. Now that many months have passed it has gotten pretty solid. You can't tell when the rangers have driven their trucks through any more. Even so the people who ride their bicycles on it have their calves covered in grit after riding even on dry days. I suppose I'll know my own opinion on it for cycling once I get out there on a bicycle with some regularity (should be out there tomorrow). I do know that it's great for running as is.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 12-26-19, 01:21 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
Ah, that is awesome news. When they did the work from brunswick heading north they did it in stages: first drag/clear a section, then put down a first layer of stone, then put down dust, before finally running the rollers on it. Even after they finish working on a section it takes a while to settle. I thought the new surface was ruined right away when it rained and then a bunch of horses used it. After a heavy rain later that week you couldn't tell the horses had been there (on a related topic I wish the horse riders would remove their manure from the path...). So, it was still pretty soft. Now that many months have passed it has gotten pretty solid. You can't tell when the rangers have driven their trucks through any more. Even so the people who ride their bicycles on it have their calves covered in grit after riding even on dry days. I suppose I'll know my own opinion on it for cycling once I get out there on a bicycle with some regularity (should be out there tomorrow). I do know that it's great for running as is.
I too wish the horse riders would clean up themselves. It does get tiresome, either riding or walking having to dodge the manure on the trail. I have heard this trail is nearly duplicate to that on the GAP. The GAP is very much settled and is super easy to ride on, so I'm looking forward to when all of the C&O is settled like this as well. Only issue I have ever had with the GAP, is the grey/white dust coating your bike has on it after riding a significant amount of miles on the trail. The drivetrain requires a good cleaning after the ride.
Old 12-27-19, 07:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
A guy on a rail aficionado site posted this on YT. I snapshot some of the video of the sections showing how much damage was done to the walkway. It’s going to be a while to fix this.

Old 07-02-20, 05:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
An update on this train derailment, and reconditioning of the foot bridge:

https://www.winchesterstar.com/repor...7df18fa22.html

It sounds like the train was stopped with the brakes on, and the engineer went "full speed ahead" at the engine, and pulled the line tight (as you might when pulling a curve out of a string) and it yanked the cars off the track. The news article claims the foot bridge is expected to be back in service in late July.