Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comfort bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Comfort bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 03:55 PM
pete2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort bike?

Trying to find the best comfort bike for a large man. I will mainly ride on paved greenway and maybe some light dirt paths. I really leaning toward the jamis explorer a2. dont really like a the front shock. Looking for a exercise type bike that is comfortable. Any suggestions?
Old 05-13-20, 09:44 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
A bike that fits you and your riding style will be comfortable.

Note those upright bikes sold as comfort bikes are only comfortable for short rides. An upright spine is a horrible suspension......
Old 05-14-20, 06:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Other bikes in this same general category that may appeal to you include the Trek Verve, Giant Cypress, and Raleigh Detour. All these bikes have the larger 700c wheels (vs. 26" wheels on the Jamis). Giant's Sedona is probably most like the Jamis, in terms of being a comfort-oriented frame, without front suspension, and with 26" wheels.

With upright bikes like the Jamis and the Giant Sedona, I'd recommend a coil spring seat. You can get very nice ones from Brooks and also less expensive knock-offs from eBay. A sprung seat will add a tremendous amount of vertical compliance to the bike (feel fewer impacts).
Old 05-14-20, 07:37 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
pete2020....did you see this section? https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...-200-lb-91-kg/

It may give you some ideas/options.....
Old 05-18-20, 07:59 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
"Comfort Bike" is a bit of a joke, IMO. No matter what bike you decide to get, your time in the saddle will be limited to your tolerance level for butt pain. I have tried about 10 saddles now and have not found one that I can sit on for more than about 30 minutes before I have to take a "butt break". I weigh 220 lbs.

Last edited by coopman; 05-18-20 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add'l. comment
Old 05-24-20, 04:21 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by pete2020
Trying to find the best comfort bike for a large man. I will mainly ride on paved greenway and maybe some light dirt paths. I really leaning toward the jamis explorer a2. dont really like a the front shock. Looking for a exercise type bike that is comfortable. Any suggestions?
You say you are a large man, are we talking tall or wide in the meddle like I am? If you are just tall I’d say have look at a Sirrus made by Specialized a or a good used Pilot that was a spin-off of Specialized but sadly no longer made. If you are built like me I’d have a look at a none suspension short wheel base or SWB recumbent bike. You can pick up a good used BikeE CT or a Sun EZ-1 for around $200 to $300 on Craigslist.
https://bicycleman.com/sun-ez-1-recumbent-bike/

Recumbents have very strong wheels and large seats with built in lumbar support back rests. They are also very adjustable so you can get it adjusted just right for you for you comfort.
Old 05-24-20, 05:18 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I agree with the previous comments. Perhaps you could explain why front suspension is undesirable. For what you're planning to do it certainly isn't necessary but it is a good comfort feature.
Old 05-24-20, 07:43 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
That jamis explorer a2 looks like a fine bike.

When bike manufactures install suspension forks and seat posts on entry level bikes, Like a Giant Sedona DX, They may be optimised for "average" riders, perhaps in the 150 - 225 lb range. I know they often have an adjustable preload feature but not sure how effective it might be for men over 200 lbs. I would ask the dealer if a suspension fork would be suitable for your needs. If it is, Look at the Giant Sedona DX. If not, The base Sedona might be a fine choice too after swapping out the suspension seat post with a rigid one, or a custom suspension post for your weight.

My Sedona only has a suspension seat post, Which seems to work well for recreational cyclists absorbing big bumps and isolating me from smaller vibrations, But even at 145 lbs I have the preload set up pretty high, I don't know how well it would work for a heavy man. I'm guessing most suspension forks might have the same limitations. Some better hybrid bikes offer air charged suspension forks that might be adjusted to accommodate your weight.

My next bike will have suspension forks too because I often encounter some rough patches on roads, Sidewalks and MUP's I ride on. I don't know what effect properly adjusted suspension components has on peddling efficiency on smooth roads, They probably do reduce it some, But for recreational cyclists or commuters who regularly ride on rough surfaces it might be well worth it.
Old 05-25-20, 08:15 PM
h20man

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Verve 3.
Old 06-06-20, 10:00 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
The KHS Brentwood or KHS Movo bikes are the only two comfort class I can think of offhand without a front suspension.