Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a saddlebag....?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you carry a saddlebag....?

Old 05-23-20, 06:33 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Boa isn't quite in the middle of the roll, so I fasten it with the longer side towards the back. Haven't had any problems with it contacting my legs in that orientation.
I’ll give it another shot. Can you get a tube in that roll?
Old 05-23-20, 06:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
I’ll give it another shot. Can you get a tube in that roll?
Yup. Tube, multi-tool, tire lever, and some little odds and ends (bacon strip plugs, insertion tool, spare master link)
Old 05-23-20, 07:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I've got a Silca Premio Roll - like the above Silca clamshell, it has Boa retention and would assume that the clamshell snugs up just as nicely. No movement out of the roll -

Really wanted one of these, but based on reviews all over the internet, the boa releases often(never should be how often it happens) and the whole unit sorta inverts itself and flips loose when on gravel.
I wanted to chalk it up to user error, but it was a common review complain on multiple sites.

Totally wanted it- looks great.
Old 05-23-20, 07:52 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Oh, that looks excellent. Does it flop or swing?
Not at all. It’s very secure due to the Boa attachment
Old 05-23-20, 07:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Really wanted one of these, but based on reviews all over the internet, the boa releases often(never should be how often it happens) and the whole unit sorta inverts itself and flips loose when on gravel.
I wanted to chalk it up to user error, but it was a common review complain on multiple sites.

Totally wanted it- looks great.
Having owned it for two years, I'd chalk it up to user error.
Old 05-23-20, 08:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You have almost basically the same setup I run now. Everything you typically could need. I have squeezed in though a couple nitrile gloves and a couple quicklinks too.
I ordered both the Road Caddy and the Arundel Pico though, and sent back the Road Caddy. Both were great, but liked the material/look of the Pico a bit better. Trick is (as you point out), choosing ultralight tubes for this purpose (I went with Michelin Aircomps), and my pump at the bracket is some Lezyne model.

Further trips, or will be in a remoter location, I'd switch back to Arundel Dual setup that's the same but has 2 tubes and 2 CO2s.
Arundel is a local company and I try to buy their products whenever I can. But something about their seat bags doesn't quite grab me. I've checked all of them in person at the LBS. The Lezyne Road Caddy has a wider Velcro strap that prevents any wobble and is easy to attach/detach. The slip pocket in the lid helps organize stuff -- that's where I keep the Hero Kit multi-tool and Lezyne self-sticking patch kit in their flat envelope, and a KMC Missing Link.

But I do like Arundel bar wrap and buy it whenever I can. If they made a few minor modifications to the Uno and Pico, I'd buy one.

The larger Arundel Dual are great for carrying extra tubes, or a tube and spare folding tire. But usually I just bungee strap an extra folding tire for century rides where I don't want to pester a friend for a ride if my main tires fail. I've done that since the late 1970s or early '80s when the first folding bead tire was introduced -- just bungee strap one under the saddle and saddle bag. Sometimes I'll jam a spare tube under the saddle rails -- so far, so good, haven't had one develop a friction hole from contact with the rails, but I don't carry 'em that way every ride.
Old 05-23-20, 08:10 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This is homemade, & waterproof.

You have to take it off to access stuff, but it unrolls & makes a place to put the tools, etc. I may make another with lighter fabric.

Old 05-23-20, 09:32 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Oh, hell no.
Oh hell yeah!!
Old 05-23-20, 09:34 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
11 oz, just for the bag!
Weight just makes you stronger.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 05-24-20, 07:32 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Why not just put the seat bag on the rack or use of top rack bag?
Because the all-in-one, zen camel-Trek is designed/outfitted for modularity! Depending on my "mission", the bike can/will have four panniers, back trunk, and stuff strapped to the front rack. The two areas available (water takes the frame triangle) are under seat (tool/repair kit) and just above front der (med kit).

When I want to fly out the door and just for exercise, minimal bags is best. Tools and med kit only. SOP in my little world

That's how I roll....

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 05-24-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 08:25 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Because the all-in-one, zen camel-Trek is designed/outfitted for modularity! Depending on my "mission", the bike can/will have four panniers, back trunk, and stuff strapped to the front rack. The two areas available (water takes the frame triangle) are under seat (tool/repair kit) and just above front der (med kit).

When I want to fly out the door and just for exercise, minimal bags is best. Tools and med kit only. SOP in my little world

That's how I roll....
Yes, I do understand but you show no packs just saddle bag so it could have easily just been attached ontop of rack. Either way, always nice to have so many options.
Old 05-24-20, 10:47 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Short rides, typically no. Everything (tools, spare tube) fits easily into jersey pockets.

Longer rides up to 200km, I take the above, plus 2 additional spare tubes, emergency wire lock and spare rear blinker light in a small saddle pack.

Longer rides up to 400km, all the above, plus top tube bag for a power bank, spare lights, nutrition, etc.

600km and up, the big saddle bag comes into play and load out varies depending on route.
Old 05-26-20, 07:33 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
So true, I destroyed countless pairs of expensive bib shorts, from the habit of taking them off when I still had my velcro shoes on.
I'm trying to imagine what activity requires that you take off your bike shorts but keep your shoes on. They all lead to odd or disturbing scenarios. You need not elaborate, we don't need to know.
Likes For MKahrl:
Old 05-26-20, 07:50 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I've read mixed reviews on this. How has it held up?
It's been covered in dirt and mud and had been cleaned up. It's held up pretty well. I'm thinking of getting more so I don't have to keep moving it to different bikes.
Old 05-26-20, 08:15 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Yep. Levers, patch kit, tube, and Park MT1. Pump vertical on seat tube next to bottle cage.
Old 06-05-20, 09:08 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This thread got me thinking of making a lighter bag, & after trying a couple of things,

I found neoprene zippered pencil holder (~$9 for two) that is a good size, & shaves off 17g.

Neoprene performs very well- quiet, waterproof & non-slippery. I have used a (sunglasses case) pouch for the phone for several years.

Old 06-05-20, 09:18 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
What I carry, or more to the point, how I carry it, depends on which bike I'm riding. For the road bike I have my bag underneath my saddle. In it is a tube, patch kit, bike multi-tool, pressure gauge, ID, house keys and my phone. I also have a tire pump attached to my down tube next to one of the water bottles cages. When on the mountain bike, all of the above is in a backpack, including a water bladder for hydration and the pump is in there too. Nothing on the bike. That's just how I roll....
Old 06-05-20, 09:24 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
indeed i do most times.
however i prefer small semi useless sized bag....
i do have one larger with extra bottle holder for the longer days.
i usually go with luck of god and a phone....
Old 06-05-20, 09:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

I like that you put the money into your saddle and seatpost, and went with a rubber band and shims for your light.
Easy to see where your priorities are!

Seriousy, thats a great pic.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-05-20, 12:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts

Cyckit Aeroclam is my jam!
Old 06-05-20, 01:21 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I have been using this since last year and very happy with it. It's super clean and fits everything you need. I use it on my road bike so don't really need a large multitool. I use a mini multitool I got from the REI.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, after having a bunch of double flats in the past year I have decided to get a storage keg too. I don't really mind carrying some extra weight. looked at the Spesh keg but it seems like they are not selling it anymore. Any recs on that?