Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

fitties fat fine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 07:16 AM
fix
yeahh, becky

Bikes: 1990 Kotter Albuch, 2005 Empella Spaar Select Cross, 2007 Ridley Aedon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
Get with the 21st century, yo. Disc brakes are the best thing to happen to mountain bikes since the threadless stem.
Disagree. Big fat knobby tires that actually roll and don't pop when you ride are the best thing ever. You can't say discs are the best after you see CX guys training on cantis on the same trails the FS Disc guys are doing.
Old 12-04-06, 07:20 AM
isotopesope
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as for brakes, have you considered center pulls? like old mafac racer's? paul also makes some too. they'd have more clearance than a caliper would.
Old 12-04-06, 07:27 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fix
Disagree. Big fat knobby tires that actually roll and don't pop when you ride are the best thing ever. You can't say discs are the best after you see CX guys training on cantis on the same trails the FS Disc guys are doing.
Okay, race downhill w/ cantis then. Weee-COMPOUND FRACTURE.
Old 12-04-06, 07:34 AM
fix
yeahh, becky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, race uphill with 8" disc rotors then. Wee, dropped after four seconds.
Old 12-04-06, 08:32 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fix
Ok, race uphill with 8" disc rotors then. Wee, dropped after four seconds.

That is more a factor of the 8" travel and 40lbs weight of the bike then just the rotors themselves.

Cantilevers may be workable but vbrakes were a huge improvement and discs even better for some conditions.

The only cross guys I ever see may be going faster then some weekend warrior with more bike and travel then they know what do with but nowhere near as fast as even a mediocre xc rider and they are constantly hopping on and off the bike.
Old 12-04-06, 09:18 AM
jaypee
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbjack
I know people on the forums (soze) have had success using wider rims--this means less vertical and more lateral 'puff' to the tire. This would be a definite gain in terms of clearance. Don't despair, it's still a very nice frame and you can still make it work.
Ok, I'm running Delgados so I should be fine. I'll probably have to cut up my fenders but that's usually to be expected.
Old 12-04-06, 11:20 AM
fix
yeahh, becky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you gave me a set of disc brakes, I would certainly use them. XC racers are faster on XC bikes and XC terrain than cross racers on cross bikes on a cross course. I just don't think discs are the best thing to ever happen to mountain biking, because many very good riders get along just fine with V's or Cantis.
Old 12-04-06, 11:32 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fix
I just don't think discs are the best thing to ever happen to mountain biking, because many very good riders get along just fine with V's or Cantis.
I can see what you are saying. The old "If it's good enough for them, why shouldn't it be good enough for me?" I felt the same way for a long time. Then I rode with discs. It is incredible to be able to apply and modulate your brakes all the way down a long descent without fading. It is awesome to fall in the mud and not have your braking compromised for the rest of the ride. Is it joyous to be able to replace pads without taking a half-hour to adjust them so they don't squeal. It is wonderful to have brake pads that last more than 30 rides. It is super to not have to have my wheels trued perfectly in order to avoid brake rubbing. I could go on and on, but I'm probably being a little too evangelical as it is.
Old 12-05-06, 09:04 AM
jaypee
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my frame and fork (56cm Steamroller) and started putting it all together. With Salsa Delgado's and Conti 37's, I still have plenty of clearance for fenders with a bit of modification. Truth be told, I was expecting to have to cut 'em up a little bit. Fleet Farm is your friend for all manner of little hardware bits and pieces at 8:00 PM. Pics to follow...
Old 12-05-06, 09:52 AM
onceinalifetime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moustache bars and cruiser bars are not the same thing.

Originally Posted by kbjack
Speaking of which: right now I have some old 3-spd mustache bars on it. These were taken off a Raleigh Robin Hood cruiser

Last edited by onceinalifetime; 12-05-06 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 10:27 AM
kbjack
Makeshift

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2002 S-works CX, 1973 Raleigh Super Course conversion, 1979 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh Professional Track, 1980 Austro Daimler Inter-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 30mm (Ritchey Speedmax Cx) tires work fine. Not quite the fatty blunt I expected to roll, but it'll work for a snow bike, and we'll see how it handles some of the trails when the snow disappears. jaypee, what fenders are you using?

onceinalifetime, thanks for the handlebar 101. The robin hood cruiser doesn't have cruiser bars; it has mustache bars. Sorry for your confusion.
Old 07-07-20, 01:59 AM
good neighbor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baxtefer
hmmmm.
just last weekend I saw a steamroller with 37c and brakes. granted there was virtually no clearance left, the wheels still spun. and they were just regular-old long reach brakes

maybe you just need bigger calipers. tekro R556's perhaps?
i am running at 37c WTB Riddler and having the same issue with brake calipers. Any other advice?