Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 11:42 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluscuba
Thanks for the tips!

I used to ride fixed gear on the road albeit with a higher gear than 70. I'll definitely give that a try.

I'm in the UK - I hadn't noticed the commercial breaks getting more frequent and longer here but maybe they do now.
My memory is that commercial breaks in the UK are much different than those in the USA - but maybe that has changed.

I used to ride fixed gear extensively in the UK (even for touring) using gears in the 69 to 72 range.
I always wanted a fixed gear 3-speed hub but never could afford one. Riders such as Ray Booty rode such a hub.
Old 08-11-17, 09:28 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi y'all. Noob question.

I'm new to track. I'm a Cat 1 female road racer. I had a private lesson in June at the Blaine velodrome (while I was in town for a stage race). It came really naturally, and I fell in love. Now I'm transitioning to focus on track, have an experienced track coach, and will be taking my track certification at Rock Hill next weekend. I'm also going to do the race categorization/race certification practice race session immediately afterwards.

My question is whether you think it's possible I'll be cleared to race the following weekend in regional championships (assuming all goes well, which I expect it will).
Old 08-11-17, 09:51 AM
gl98115

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
My question is whether you think it's possible I'll be cleared to race the following weekend in regional championships (assuming all goes well, which I expect it will).
You'll definitely be eligible for the timed events. Whether you will be able to do the mass start events depends on the local track manager/committee. You'll need to demonstrate that you will not be a danger to other riders. Contact them and explain your situation.

Giordana Velodrome Staff | Rock Hill, SC
Old 08-11-17, 10:19 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gl98115
You'll definitely be eligible for the timed events. Whether you will be able to do the mass start events depends on the local track manager/committee. You'll need to demonstrate that you will not be a danger to other riders. Contact them and explain your situation.
Thanks. I was planning on trying to have a conversation with them after the track cert course, between that and the race cert session, asking them to pay particular attention to me for racing mass starts the following week.
Old 08-11-17, 10:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi y'all. Noob question.

I'm new to track. I'm a Cat 1 female road racer. I had a private lesson in June at the Blaine velodrome (while I was in town for a stage race). It came really naturally, and I fell in love. Now I'm transitioning to focus on track, have an experienced track coach, and will be taking my track certification at Rock Hill next weekend. I'm also going to do the race categorization/race certification practice race session immediately afterwards.

Welcome to the forum and to the sport!

While I have no doubt that you have the legs and lungs to beat up on the field in Regionals, you simply don't have the track-specific mass start racing experience and will probably only be allowed to race with other new racers for a handful of race days until you are cleared by the track director to join a faster group. You'll likely be required to ride several race days in each category (D, C, B, then A).

This isn't just about you. This is also about everyone else. Track racing is a local event. The local racers want to see you race and have confidence in you before getting into a big race with you (literally) shoulder-to-shoulder at 30mph.

At DLV, the former track director (ex continental road pro) would require CAT1 men and women to complete the beginner's course as well as race 2-4 race days in the beginners group. He'd demand that they stay with the pack and ride within the group (no matter how slow) until the final sprint. This is because they had legs strong enough to ride off the front from the start of the race. But, beginner racing isn't about winning, it's about learning. Many of the road racing techniques that you know well may not apply on the track.

After the race director was comfortable with the CAT1 rider knew enough to level up, they were leveled up.

The absolute worst thing that can happen is for a CAT1 roadie take the intro course then jump into a P/1/2 mass start track race. These races can only be described as high speed organized chaos.

The best way to level-up is simply to train and race as much as possible. EVERY day you can.

Originally Posted by gl98115

Giordana Velodrome Staff | Rock Hill, SC
+1
Old 08-11-17, 10:27 AM
carleton
Elitist

On a related note: This was (and to some extent, still is) an issue for Collegiate Track Nationals. A lot of collegiate riders are really fast on the road, categories P, 1, 2, and 3, but some have limited track racing experience or opportunities. A LOT of racers like that show up at Collegiate Track Nationals...which would sometimes be a mess (to put things nicely). In 2011 (or so), USA Cycling issued a rule that stated that mass start participants were required to have relevant experience at local tracks before showing up at Nationals.
Old 08-11-17, 10:37 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Welcome to the forum and to the sport!

While I have no doubt that you have the legs and lungs to beat up on the field in Regionals, you simply don't have the track-specific mass start racing experience and will probably only be allowed to race with other new racers for a handful of race days until you are cleared by the track director to join a faster group. You'll likely be required to ride several race days in each category (D, C, B, then A).

This isn't just about you. This is also about everyone else. Track racing is a local event. The local racers want to see you race and have confidence in you before getting into a big race with you (literally) shoulder-to-shoulder at 30mph.

At DLV, the former track director (ex continental road pro) would require CAT1 men and women to complete the beginner's course as well as race 2-4 race days in the beginners group. He'd demand that they stay with the pack and ride within the group (no matter how slow) until the final sprint. This is because they had legs strong enough to ride off the front from the start of the race. But, beginner racing isn't about winning, it's about learning. Many of the road racing techniques that you know well may not apply on the track.

After the race director was comfortable with the CAT1 rider knew enough to level up, they were leveled up.

The absolute worst thing that can happen is for a CAT1 roadie take the intro course then jump into a P/1/2 mass start track race. These races can only be described as high speed organized chaos.

The best way to level-up is simply to train and race as much as possible. EVERY day you can.

+1
Yes, I've read through a lot of the forum. Thanks for all the wisdom ^_^ I'll certainly not be looking to accelerate from C-A without going through the normal requirements (and will be doing some racing at DLV this fall). Just hoping to get into C for the regionals.
Old 08-11-17, 10:40 AM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks. I was planning on trying to have a conversation with them after the track cert course, between that and the race cert session, asking them to pay particular attention to me for racing mass starts the following week.
Awesome.

I've hosted a few races that had fast roadies in them and here are the common issues that I saw:

Sprinting out of the saddle at the end of a race:
Don't do this. Learn to sprint in the saddle. Stand up to get a few RPMs from low speeds. Do not attempt to sprint out of the saddle from high speeds.

Waving the bike side-to-side:
Many roadies naturally do this because this is how they sprint on the road. This will make a mess. Learn to sprint without waving the bike around.

Letting off the gas at the end of a race:
Remember, there are 10 other people right behind you with no brakes barreling in at full speed. Give yourself some room.

Passing underneath other riders:
Yeah, I know you see a spot and have the juice to get there. DON'T. PERIOD. Look right, if clear then pass over the top.

When in doubt, hold your line.

At the end of a race or sprint for points, hold your line.

Hold your line.

Don't pull up/out at odd times because it's flashy and you've seen it done on youtube (see rules above).

Forget the team tactics. I know that's your teammate bro. Until you know how team tactics work on the track, you don't know how team tactics work on the track. You know, the leadout train where you burn up then peel off. That will cause a wreck. That tactic is executed differently on the track.

Treat this as a new sport that is loosely related to your old one. They are as related as Tennis and Table Tennis

EDIT:

As you get more experience, you'll know when it's OK to break all of the rules above. Until then, just think of them as strict rules for now.

Last edited by carleton; 08-11-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-11-17, 10:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Hi CB.

Technically, USAC rules allow you to be apply to be a Cat 2? in track right away. But the folks at Rock Hill are quite concerned about safety and are not apt to let riders out right away. I had the same conversations with them, but they still made me race in the Cs for the entire series. I was specifically told fitness and strength were not sufficient reasons to allow me to move up. I had to prove that I was a safe racer on the track first. There is a new race director though, so that may change.

Also, I may see you out there during the certification course and race practice. They sometimes let me work out in between the certification session efforts.
Old 08-11-17, 10:42 AM
gl98115

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'll likely be required to ride several race days in each category (D, C, B, then A).
The regional mass start events are open to A, B, and C riders.

2017 CCA Regional track Championships | Rock Hill, SC
Old 08-11-17, 10:45 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Hi CB.

Technically, USAC rules allow you to be apply to be a Cat 2? in track right away. But the folks at Rock Hill are quite concerned about safety and are not apt to let riders out right away. I had the same conversations with them, but they still made me race in the Cs for the entire series. I was specifically told fitness and strength were not sufficient reasons to allow me to move up. I had to prove that I was a safe racer on the track first. There is a new race director though, so that may change.

Also, I may see you out there during the certification course and race practice. They sometimes let me work out in between the certification session efforts.
Cool. See you there Cat 2 doesn't mean much until next season. The rest of this season is just getting as much experience I can get before getting into the bigger races next season. Happy to race an entire series in C. Also happy to stay in a pack even when I could ride away from them, just for the track pack experience. So hoping to get into C quickly isn't about having the lungs/legs to crush D fields
Old 08-11-17, 10:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

Hi CB.

That won't change.

The other racers will pitch a fit if an inexperienced-but-fast racer joins the group.

To put this into perspective, what if a fast track & field athlete were put on a bike and jumped from CAT5 into a P/1/2 crit. Would you want to race alongside him?
Old 08-11-17, 10:50 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Awesome.

I've hosted a few races that had fast roadies in them and here are the common issues that I saw:

Sprinting out of the saddle at the end of a race:
Don't do this. Learn to sprint in the saddle. Stand up to get a few RPMs from low speeds. Do not attempt to sprint out of the saddle from high speeds.

Waving the bike side-to-side:
Many roadies naturally do this because this is how they sprint on the road. This will make a mess. Learn to sprint without waving the bike around.

Letting off the gas at the end of a race:
Remember, there are 10 other people right behind you with no brakes barreling in at full speed. Give yourself some room.

Passing underneath other riders:
Yeah, I know you see a spot and have the juice to get there. DON'T. PERIOD. Look right, if clear then pass over the top.

When in doubt, hold your line.

At the end of a race or sprint for points, hold your line.

Hold your line.

Don't pull up/out at odd times because it's flashy and you've seen it done on youtube (see rules above).

Forget the team tactics. I know that's your teammate bro. Until you know how team tactics work on the track, you don't know how team tactics work on the track. You know, the leadout train where you burn up then peel off. That will cause a wreck. That tactic is executed differently on the track.

Treat this as a new sport that is loosely related to your old one. They are as related as Tennis and Table Tennis

EDIT:

As you get more experience, you'll know when it's OK to break all of the rules above. Until then, just think of them as strict rules for now.
Thanks ^_^

I'm lucky to have lots of pro pack sprinting experience, where I'm used to accelerating in the saddle (no rocking the bike). Also been working hard on track sprinting technique (getting up to 130-140rpm, in the saddle, for 20" sprints)--so different from road sprinting!

And I'm fully on board with this being a new sport vaguely related to the one I got good at Soaking stuff up like a sponge.

My events will be sprint-focused, but the next ~6mo will be focusing on mass start races for the experience.
Old 08-11-17, 10:51 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That won't change.

The other racers will pitch a fit if an inexperienced-but-fast racer joins the group.

To put this into perspective, what if a fast track & field athlete were put on a bike and jumped from CAT5 into a P/1/2 crit. Would you want to race alongside him?
The main thing (I think?) is that women's races are typically 'open,' and aren't separated into A, B, C etc. So it's either ABC or you don't race...it seems...for events like this.
Old 08-11-17, 10:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Technically, USAC rules allow you to be apply to be a Cat 2? in track right away.
Also, this technical rule is only to allow for a highly-ranked road rider to bypass the USAC upgrade points requirements. That upgrade request will go through the regional USAC rep and that rep will ask the local track director. So, if the rider is squirrelly, then the track director should not vouch for that person.
Old 08-11-17, 10:56 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Also, this technical rule is only to allow for a highly-ranked road rider to bypass the USAC upgrade points requirements. That upgrade request will go through the regional USAC rep and that rep will ask the local track director. So, if the rider is squirrelly, then the track director should not vouch for that person.
I'd also *love* to race the Velodrome Cup at DLV early Sept. But I figure that even if I got into regionals, it would only be 2 race days, and DLV wouldn't be cool with that. *And I'm okay with that* Disappointed, but I understand.
Old 08-11-17, 11:02 AM
carleton
Elitist

From USA Cycling: Track Category Upgrade Guidelines - USA Cycling

All track upgrades and downgrades are made through the Local Associations and Regional Coordinators. All track upgrades are processed using the following criteria:

Category 5 to 4: Complete a velodrome class or four race days
Category 4 to 3: Five race days and 20 points
Category 3 to 2: Five race days and 25 points
Category 2 to 1: Five race days and 30 points

(This is how you get the points -- carleton)

National championships, Category A, B, or C track race will be 7, 5,3,2,1 for each event.

For all other events, upgrade points are 5,3,2,1 and are based on an omnium of the event’s races.

Attendance at a USA Cycling Development Camp will count as one qualifying race for Category 5 to 4 upgrade. It will also count as four upgrade points for a Category 4 to 3 upgrade and three upgrade points for a Category 3 to 2 upgrade.

Additional Considerations

10-person field minimum for Category 3-5 and 20-person field minimum for upgrade to Category 1.
50 percent of upgrading points and number of times raced will be carried over to the next year. Points do not carry over to the next category.
When upgrading to a Category 1, points earned need to be from more than one velodrome.
A race day is defined as one full day of racing. A race day can include a number of events such as a kilometer, sprints or time trial, but it only counts as one race day.
Omniums will be counted for upgrading if atleast half the events on the omnium were massed-start.
Women and Juniors earn one point for every five race days when upgrading from Category 4 through Category 2.
Races exempt from upgrading are Youth races and races of more than two categories (i.e.: “A” and “B” races).

With the approval of USA Cycling, riders who are Pro or category 1 on the road may be upgraded to category 2 on the track, and riders who are category 2 on the road may be upgraded to category 3 on the track, without first having to begin at category 5 for men and category 4 for women.
Old 08-11-17, 11:09 AM
carleton
Elitist

I'd also *love* to race the Velodrome Cup at DLV early Sept. But I figure that even if I got into regionals, it would only be 2 race days, and DLV wouldn't be cool with that. *And I'm okay with that* Disappointed, but I understand.
I would contact someone at DLV: Contact Info | The Dick Lane Velodrome

They will basically contact someone at Rock Hill and ask about you.

Or, you can come down and race a few beginner race nights and show that you are capable of racing in the Cs. Ds do not get to race at any DLV Pro Race Events. Only ATRA A, B, or C (which is the USAC Track Equivalent of P/1/2/3/4)
Old 08-11-17, 11:15 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would contact someone at DLV

They will basically contact someone at Rock Hill and ask about you.

Or, you can come down and race a few beginner race nights and show that you are capable of racing in the Cs. Ds do not get to race at any DLV Pro Race Events. Only ATRA A, B, or C (which is the USAC Track Equivalent of P/1/2/3/4)
Yep! Unfortunately, if I do regionals, I can't make any of the DLV beginner nights before Velo Cup, but I'll be out for other nights afterwards!
Old 08-11-17, 01:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Yep! Unfortunately, if I do regionals, I can't make any of the DLV beginner nights before Velo Cup, but I'll be out for other nights afterwards!
Some things you can do in the mean time: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyc...ack-racer.html

You can start assembling the tools you'll use daily. They are covered in the thread. Yes, I know you have a multi-tool. But, a set of ball-head allen keys are a helluva lot easier to use several times during a training or race session. Get two 15mm wrenches. Keep one in your bag and one in the trunk of your car (you'll soon learn why ) You can get the wrenches and allen keys at Harbor Freight for cheap or Sears for normal prices.

If you know you are all-in, invest in a set of quality chainrings and cogs as well as chainwhip and lockring too. Practice changing everything with them. I know this sounds silly, but it takes some new racers a long time to get the hang of this. Multi-tools are small for traveling. No need for them when you have a gear bag in the infield. Full-sized tools are easier to use.

Learn what a good chain tension is...and isn't.

Make sure that your tires are fresh and not old and hard.

You, and only you, are responsible for your bike.

Go ahead and start using bigger bottles. No need for 12oz water bottles that fit in cages.

If you already have a race front wheel, get an allen bolt skewer for your regional event. Use it in training so you can get used to it. Aero wheels work, but smaller people sometimes have a hard time handling crosswinds on the track when using them.

Get either a skinsuit or a Nike / Under Armor compression top to mate with your bibs. This makes a cheap 2-piece skinsuit.

Maybe borrow some rollers, this will accelerate your adaptation to constant pedaling and help you dial in your fit. If you don't know how to set them up for your bike, ask. They have to be properly adjusted for each bike that rides them.

You will use all of the above on any bike you wind up buying.

Ask questions in that thread listed above or here.
Old 08-11-17, 01:33 PM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some things you can do in the mean time:[/url]

You can start assembling the tools you'll use daily. They are covered in the thread. Yes, I know you have a multi-tool. But, a set of ball-head allen keys are a helluva lot easier to use several times during a training or race session. Get two 15mm wrenches. Keep one in your bag and one in the trunk of your car (you'll soon learn why ) You can get the wrenches and allen keys at Harbor Freight for cheap or Sears for normal prices.

If you know you are all-in, invest in a set of quality chainrings and cogs as well as chainwhip and lockring too. Practice changing everything with them. I know this sounds silly, but it takes some new racers a long time to get the hang of this. Multi-tools are small for traveling. No need for them when you have a gear bag in the infield. Full-sized tools are easier to use.

Learn what a good chain tension is...and isn't.

Make sure that your tires are fresh and not old and hard.

You, and only you, are responsible for your bike.

Go ahead and start using bigger bottles. No need for 12oz water bottles that fit in cages.

If you already have a race front wheel, get an allen bolt skewer for your regional event. Use it in training so you can get used to it. Aero wheels work, but smaller people sometimes have a hard time handling crosswinds on the track when using them.

Get either a skinsuit or a Nike / Under Armor compression top to mate with your bibs. This makes a cheap 2-piece skinsuit.

Maybe borrow some rollers, this will accelerate your adaptation to constant pedaling and help you dial in your fit. If you don't know how to set them up for your bike, ask. They have to be properly adjusted for each bike that rides them.

You will use all of the above on any bike you wind up buying.

Ask questions in that thread listed above or here.
Again, thanks. Kinda literally already did *all* of that ^_^ Read through that entire thread last week.

Already race in skinsuits. Picked up some batting gloves on y'all's suggestion (didn't know that batting gloves/golf gloves were a thing in track cycling...then I saw Laura Trott wearing FootJoy golf gloves...huh!). Already train on rollers, though I prefer my Feedback Sports Omnium trainer (rollers with a fixed fork). Will be using one of my road race wheels (55mm tubular) with a bolt skewer (but my normal track rear wheel, also tubular). I'm not small ^_^ Got my tools and chainrings/cogs on the way for my Dolan TC1 I picked up. And SRAM should be sending me an Omnium crankset soon. Just went with 36cm road handlebars for now. Will invest in some nice aero track ones next season.

...and will definitely be practicing changing cogs/chainrings as soon as everything is in. I'm mostly giving up on road racing (which is what I was being groomed for, but was never going to make it). I'll still do some pro crits, but track is where I'm putting my focus now.
Old 08-11-17, 01:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Get two 15mm wrenches.
Seriously. I have three, and I still manage to forget to bring one sometimes.
Old 08-11-17, 03:31 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Ever forget your aerobars? Yes. I did.
Old 08-11-17, 04:24 PM
silvaeri
bike dork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[delete]

Last edited by silvaeri; 05-27-19 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 04:41 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Ever forget your aerobars? Yes. I did.
If I owned any, I almost certainly would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.