Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stormy-Season Conversion

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Stormy-Season Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 04:39 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Stormy-Season Conversion

I'm curious about whether or not others (like me) convert an MTB or hybrid from road configuration to cold-weather operation in the fall and then back again in spring. I do this with my M80. My summer tires are 1.25" slicks (Bontrager SR1's) and my winter tires are 2.15" Hutchinson Toro "knobbies". I actually have two wheel sets so that I don't have to change the tires. I take my water bottle cages off and pop them in a box to save wear-and-tear. The stem goes from a 8-degree rise to a 40 degree rise (puts the handlebars higher to give me more time to react if the tire slips out on slush or ice). In fall, I go from an aluminum rigid (Kinesis) fork to a Manitou Drake 100mm suspension (helps with the harder road surface). My pedals get switched from my Xpedo w/ titanium axles to heavier, generic platforms w/ reflectors. Saddle is switched from a road-racing saddle to a gel saddle (Serfas Reactive Gell 226). That's about it. It is better than buying a second bike. The M80 handles it all, and is even disc-brake applicable, if I ever choose to go in that direction.

One clip on the right pannier has not been hooked. I must have been in a hurry to get home!

w/ Mavic XC717's. Road bike, tourer or heavy-hauler, it doesn't matter to the M80. It does it all exceptionally-well.
Old 10-05-23, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
1989Pre wow! that's a lot of work! impressive! I swap tires & add bar mitts, but that's about it!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-05-23 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-05-23, 02:24 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
1989Pre wow! that's a lot of work! impressive! I swap tires & add bar mitts, but that's about it!
Is that on the Muirwoods? Oh I forgot to mention, each saddle has it's own seatpost, too. Summer: Easton EA50 single-bolt and winter: Strong (probably from 1980's)
Old 10-06-23, 06:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Is that on the Muirwoods? Oh I forgot to mention, each saddle has it's own seatpost, too. Summer: Easton EA50 single-bolt and winter: Strong (probably from 1980's)
wow, but that makes sense. I dislike fighting w/ seat clamps

I have 1 set of drop style bar mitts for the 1 road bike. I only take road bike out in the winter when the the roads or paved trails are dry

I have 1 set of straight bar mitts that I move between the MTB & the Muirwoods
here they are on my Trek FX which I haven't sold yet. the Muirwoods was supposed to replace it but my selling the FX hasn't happened yet

on the Muirwoods

on the MTB

very useful protection in falling snow & other precipitation

oh man now you have me thinking about the cold & I'm still flying kites at the beach!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-06-23, 02:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The only changes I make for winter is change to studded tires and change my gear ratio. I use singlespeed bikes and I prefer to use lower gear ratio during winter than summer.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-10-23, 03:48 AM
rumrunn6

gotta remember it's bow hunting season & wear more orange!

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-09-23, 06:46 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Rumrunn, that is a nice deck set-up on the Bottechia. Do you use lower pressure in your tires in winter? Yeah, true about the hunters. Sometimes, I wish my main helmet wasn't white, but I have lots of orange (jerseys and jackets). An orange (or any day-glo) helmet for this time of year would not be a bad idea. That's a nice-looking pond.
Old 11-09-23, 10:05 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Rumrunn, that is a nice deck set-up on the Bottechia. Do you use lower pressure in your tires in winter? Yeah, true about the hunters. Sometimes, I wish my main helmet wasn't white, but I have lots of orange (jerseys and jackets). An orange (or any day-glo) helmet for this time of year would not be a bad idea. That's a nice-looking pond.
thank you

the bar thing is for light & camera, sometimes 2 lites because I have a helmet setup w/ light & camera, so sometimes I got out w/ 3 lites, 2 on bars 1 on helmet. mostly tho, that's all on the MTB. I really do like the mountain feed bag most of the year, for stuff I want easy access to like phone & camera batteries & yeah food too, sometimes bug spray & napkins for my nose. when it gets really cold tho, batteries & phone ride next to my body

interesting question about winter tire pressure. I only ride the road bike if the paved trail is clear so I don't do anything special with pressure. if I'm riding the road bike regularly I don't check pressure before every ride. I guess that applies to any of my 3 bikes. if it's been a while I will check & top off whatever bike/tires I'm using. if it's the MTB I'll give them a hand squeeze & maybe a spin in my parking lot. mostly I decide about pressure based on the terrain I'll be riding

re: hunters, yeah, gets tricky this rime of year. I like my orange sweatshirt which fits over lots of stuff. I have a bright yellow helmet but I haven't been using it due to a new camera setup on a black helmet. black camera/black helmet makes me look less dorky. so I guess my most useful item is a lime green vest which fits over whatever I have. I have a large "bear bell" meant for hikers, I keep meaning to try ... ;-)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-09-23, 12:53 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Seems like a nice bike to roll. — I like your panniers :-)

Usually I go with one pannier. But this year, I might choose to add the other one, to have an extra lightweight insulated jacket for emergencies on the road (or at my work space).
In the early years I commuted with a backpack. But from the moment I had to cycle a longer distance, I preferred to have my back free.
I do carry a very small backpack in my pannier though. Contains my lunch and some small things.