Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter bib tights for the long legged - recommendations please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 02:56 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts

I'm long legged for my height (92cm inseam, 183cm tall, size M or L depending on the manufacturer) and am looking for a pair of thermal bib tights that don't make me look like a high school kid after a growth spurt wearing his trousers from two years ago.

I don't have the option to go to a shop and try on anything, so an online purchase it is. I'm not tied to any particular brand or have a budget in mind. I'll spend the money if I know the leg length will be long enough. But instead of a crapshoot on an unknown quantity, it would be helpful to narrow in on some options. A comfortable not-too-thick chamois for longish distances would be good too.

So, all you long legged cyclists on BF, what do you recommend?
Old 12-11-21, 11:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
Full length leg warmers might be a more workable option. Then you can use the same bibbs for a wider range of temperatures and just go from knee warmers to leg warmers or no warmers.

However my Pearl Izumi bibbs with long legs are plenty long for me, but I'm only 87 cm (34.5 in) for my inseam. Haven't had them on in a while so I'd hate to guess whether I thought they could work fine for you.
Old 12-11-21, 05:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4750 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,006 Posts
A workaround is just to use overshoe booties that have an ankle length sufficient to cover any gap (plus some longer socks wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-11-21, 08:15 PM
Kabuto

Thanks for the suggestions. I was kinda hoping someone would be able to recommend bibtights with extra length compared to standard.

Using bibshorts as a comparison, something like the Endura Pro SL Bibshort Long Leg vs the standard Endura Pro SL Bibshort.

https://www.endurasport.com/pro-sl-b.../12926336.html

I did actually contact Endura regarding the inseam lengths of their bibtights but never got a reply...
Old 12-12-21, 07:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Thanks for the suggestions. I was kinda hoping someone would be able to recommend bibtights with extra length compared to standard.

Using bibshorts as a comparison, something like the Endura Pro SL Bibshort Long Leg vs the standard Endura Pro SL Bibshort.

https://www.endurasport.com/pro-sl-b.../12926336.html

I did actually contact Endura regarding the inseam lengths of their bibtights but never got a reply...
fwiw, Aerotech makes Tall sizes but it looks like they're out of stock on their tights. Q36.5 also makes 'long' sizes, but very pricey: https://www.q36-5.com/online/men/cyc...ng/bib-tights/
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-12-21, 02:04 PM
Disposable

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Bike Friday tikit, Disc Trucker, Specialized Crosstrail, Raleigh M50, a bunch of get-around-to-thems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try Boure, out of Durango, CO. My inseam is about 91cm and they covered my ankles just fine.
Likes For Disposable:
Old 12-12-21, 07:26 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
fwiw, Aerotech makes Tall sizes but it looks like they're out of stock on their tights. Q36.5 also makes 'long' sizes, but very pricey: https://www.q36-5.com/online/men/cyc...ng/bib-tights/
Thanks for the leads! I contacted Q36.5 and they replied they don't do long lengths with their bib tights as standard but they can do made to order with a 20% extra fee. Tempting... but expensive.

Originally Posted by Disposable
Try Boure, out of Durango, CO. My inseam is about 91cm and they covered my ankles just fine.
Thanks for the heads up! What size are you?
Old 12-12-21, 07:47 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Disposable
Boure will also do custom sizes. I'm skinny and long-legged. They make custom cycling knickers for me. They're nice folks. Call them up and ask if their standard size will work for you.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-12-21, 09:25 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Boure will also do custom sizes. I'm skinny and long-legged. They make custom cycling knickers for me. They're nice folks. Call them up and ask if their standard size will work for you.
Brent
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. I'll contact them.
Old 12-13-21, 01:36 AM
Disposable

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Bike Friday tikit, Disc Trucker, Specialized Crosstrail, Raleigh M50, a bunch of get-around-to-thems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! What size are you?
By the Boure chart I'm a 2X. I'm 6'5" and 230 lb.
Likes For Disposable:
Old 12-13-21, 06:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Thanks for the leads! I contacted Q36.5 and they replied they don't do long lengths with their bib tights as standard but they can do made to order with a 20% extra fee. Tempting... but expensive.
They are expensive, but I'm a bit confused as the q36.5 link I previously posted has long tights listed available to add to cart? (scroll to bottom of the webpage) eg. this is just one of them:
Salopette Long Tight Black
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-13-21, 07:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

They are expensive, but I'm a bit confused as the q36.5 link I previously posted has long tights listed available to add to cart? (scroll to bottom of the webpage) eg. this is just one of them:
Salopette Long Tight Black
Unless (talking to myself), this is just some screwy translation thing going on, and all that they mean by "Long" is that this is a tight and not shorts (even though they call them "long.. tights" in the description. I thought these tights were maybe new and extension of the "long" editions referenced here: https://www.q36-5.com/longer-classics/
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-13-21, 07:15 AM
Kabuto

Unless (talking to myself), this is just some screwy translation thing going on, and all that they mean by "Long" is that this is a tight and not shorts (even though they call them "long.. tights" in the description. I thought these tights were maybe new and extension of the "long" editions referenced here: https://www.q36-5.com/longer-classics/
Yep, long just means tights and not shorts. Here's the reply I received from Q36.5 (fastest reply I've ever received to a product inquiry).

Thank you for being interested in Q36.5, we really appreciate it. We have a long version bib, but not in our bib tight section, its a longer version in our bib short section.
I will link it to you here: https://www.q36-5.com/shop/men/cycli...ottore-x-long/

Even though, we do not have an extra long bib tight, we could create one for you tailor made. For this special deal the bib tight would cost an extra 20% additional to the normal product price. We then could not only adjust the bib tight length, but also all your other individual measurements.
Old 12-13-21, 08:26 PM
Kabuto

Here's the reply I received from Q36.5 (fastest reply I've ever received to a product inquiry).
Scratch that. The fastest reply I've ever received to a product inquiry is from D2D Cycling Clothing this morning. They replied to my inquiry within a few hours with very helpful information, and I placed an order shortly afterwards. Looking forward to trying out their Men’s WinterBlock Extra Long Bib Tights!

https://www.d2dcyclingclothing.co.uk...ng-bib-tights/