Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I got a flat in my first mile of Riding my bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 10:35 AM
Long Tom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
So if you got a flat right away, you shouldn't except it like every other day? I just have no confidence now. But I'm gonna go out tomorrow and dam I just feel cursed. I wonder if I'm too heavy and no matter what there is gonna be a flat all the time. How long do they take to repair? My mnt bike had no flats in 3 years and this got a flat in 10 minutes.
For about the tenth time, no, you shouldn't expect a flat every ride and no you aren't cursed.

In the fullness of time get 25mm Gatorskins on there if not flatting is your highest priority. For now ride the bike and enjoy!
Old 08-18-15, 11:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4757 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Really? You've never heard of there being such a thing as optimal pressures for tires based on load? One link to get started -- extrapolate sheldons chart to accommodate 140 lbs of load.
Bicycle Tires and Tubes
Old 08-18-15, 11:38 AM
Stevensondrive

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4 Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Get some Gatorskins in 25mm would likely be better.
+1

that being said I had a mountain bike that gave me a flat on EVERY ride. There was a bur on the inside of the rim
Old 08-18-15, 11:55 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
So even if my tires aren't perfect, I shouldn't expect flats like every day right? It was just odd how it happened as soon as I got it.
You were unlucky, it happens.

I went a couple of hundred miles on my bike without a flat, and withing the past 2-3 weeks, I've had 3 flats. The second was definitely the rider's fault, but the 1st and 3rd were due to some debris that I didn't see.

First one, I had the LBS fix it, because it happened right at the end of one of their group rides. The 2nd and 3rd were in the middle of rides, so I had to fix them.

You may go 3 years without having another flat. Or you could have one this afternoon. it sounds like from reading the forums and my experience that flats happen about every few hundred miles to a thousand miles. Maybe you got the only flat you'll ever have on that bike right out the door (literally).

The only thing you can really do is look out for debris, really big potholes, and know how to change the tire yourself. While some people may like the CO2 pumps, it didn't take me very long to pump up the tires with the mini-pump that I have. It's just a mini-pump from Perfomance that is rated to 100+ psi, but I probably only filled the tires up to about 80psi. Its mount goes under the water bottle cage, so it's out of the way.

And there's a group for the heavier riders: Clydes and Athenas. We discuss things like wheels and tires that heavier riders need to be careful with. Don't know if you want to get under 200+, but we also discuss things like that and try to give each other support. We also have a monthly goals thread, so you can track your mileage.

GH

Last edited by ColaJacket; 08-18-15 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 11:58 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, flats just happen. Any time, anywhere. Sometimes tires or tubes can have defects, and sometimes the road just eats you, and sometimes it's both. I really wouldn't sweat it. If it happened again immediately, I MIGHT think something of it, but it's just one flat. That being said, the tires and tubes used stock on the ALR5 are low quality Bontrager stock. You just had some bad luck this time. I replaced my tubes and tires (25mm Conti GP4000s II) shortly after purchase and have been really happy with them so far.

As others have said though, definitely go AROUND pot holes if you can. If you're stuck and you can't slow down fast enough, you can, after time, learn how to "jump" the bike over small obstacles gently.
Old 08-18-15, 12:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
OP, go ride your bike. You will definitely get another flat, though probably not on your next ride. You should also carry the necessities for fixing a flat and know how to use them. Good luck and happy riding!
Old 08-18-15, 12:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd still suggest that 23s are too narrow for 250+ lbs of rider/bike
We've time trialed on our tandem with 370 pounds of rider and bike on 23's without a problem.

23's are fine at 235lbs. It's mostly a matter of comfort. You're going to need to run fairly high pressure, depending on how light you are on your tires, 25mm or even 28mm would allow lower pressure, more comfort, and arguably lower rolling resistance, but they aren't necessary.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-18-15, 01:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I'm not arguing that running 23s would be impossible, just that there's an increased probability of pinch flats vs a wider tire. One chart (as a tandem rider) u might find of interest:

https://www.precisiontandems.com/phot...tirechartx.jpg
Old 08-18-15, 02:23 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 376 Posts
That chart is just radically different from our experience. It suggests we need to run 32mm tires at 123psi.

When we actually run 25mm (other than TT's) at 105-110psi and don't have any trouble with pinch flats.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-18-15, 02:35 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I've been on 23's at a weight that hit 240 lbs at one point. I ran rear 120psi, front 105 psi. I've never, in 29 years, had a pinch flat.
Old 08-18-15, 02:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Wow. You should tell 10wheels your secret.
Old 08-18-15, 03:43 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Originally Posted by sy reene
wow. You should tell 10wheels your secret.

105f 120r on 23s. Although I prefer 25s at 95/110, I'm not comfortable with the clearance between the rear tire and seat tube on my TCR. With 23mm rims, and 23mm tires running much lower pressure than I ever thought I'd get away with (85/100), it's really comfy, but I keep feeling that my consecutive pinch-flat-less season streak might come to an end at some future twilight pothole.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 08-18-15 at 03:51 PM. Reason: I felt the undeniable yearning to bloviate about tire pressure
Old 08-18-15, 04:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
That chart is just radically different from our experience. It suggests we need to run 32mm tires at 123psi.

When we actually run 25mm (other than TT's) at 105-110psi and don't have any trouble with pinch flats.
Though this doesn't address PSI or rider weights, indeed it seems that there is a preference (and less anecdotal stories about flats) from the posters here using 28s and wider.
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...ite-tires.html
Old 08-18-15, 07:55 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a flat tyre dude - happens to everyone, so don't chuck the baby out with the bath-water....

FWIW, I'm around your mass and use 110lbs F and 115-120lbs R in my tyres - works well enough on the ****e coarse-chip roads we have over here.

cheers
Old 08-18-15, 07:58 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Originally Posted by macca33
It's a flat tyre dude - happens to everyone, so don't chuck the baby out with the bath-water....
Depends on the baby. Some babys totally suck.
Old 08-18-15, 09:03 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Flat in the first mile?

I wouldn't take a chance. Get a new bike.
Old 08-18-15, 09:46 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

In a girl. I'm an Athena. I know how to fix a flat and learned how when I forgot to check air pressure on my tires before heading out when I was above 240 lbs. I RARELY get flats but can take care if on my own. OP HTFU
Old 08-18-15, 09:51 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I had a similar experience as the OP with my (new at the time), Madone on the stock Bontrager 23's. Taking greenway rides, at less than 2 miles in, pinch flats, on the front, on the rear, with the front being more frequent. I was running at max inflation due to my weight, on smooth, clean surfaces. A swap to Continental GP4000s in a 25, and I've never had a flat since. I think it's not only the width that needs help, but maybe the Bontrager sidewall may lack some squish resistance if the OP is on the original tires.
Old 08-18-15, 11:03 PM
Damien09

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get more flats id say put on some better 25s or 28s if the frame can take it other wise make sure you have a pump and id pump them close to that 120 psi at your weight. Also check to see what size tires you have.
Old 08-19-15, 09:37 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mawashi
Seriously, it's just a flat, get over it lol!
I hate to say this but it is sound advice. It happens. You can go years without one and then get two in a quick time span. I would not even pay the slightest amount of attention to this unless it happens a few more times. If that is the case than you may have an issue with your equipment but it is minor. Even "cheap" tires are pretty good. There are bad stems and bad tubes. If you have one, replace it and move on.
One of my employees started road biking last year. We scoured Craigs List and settled on a Lemond that had not been used for so long the tires were dry rotted. We went to Performance Bike and bought some Forte Tires for $12 each and the least expensive tubes they had. He has over 2K miles on those things with no issues. I am not saying that good tires are not better feeling but I am not sure about less flats and etc. Your Emonda came with descent tires. Don't worry about it. Just ride and get comfortable with things. It is no different than buying a new car and riding off the lot and getting a flat. Exact same principles apply.
Old 08-19-15, 10:26 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
OP has vanished. Pretty sure that means he sold the bike on craigslist for half of what he paid and has left the sport forever because of this flat.
Old 08-19-15, 10:41 AM
mawashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
OP has vanished. Pretty sure that means he sold the bike on craigslist for half of what he paid and has left the sport forever because of this flat.
OP has gone for 9 days or more without posting so wait... He'll be back. Most likely to post that he's eaten his first bug or had his first paint scratch or horror of horrors he's had his first fall... JK lol!