Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Committed Roadie wants to start MTB, quality CAAD10-level MTB?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 12:40 PM
AndySchleckfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me know what the good entry level, but quality MTB is. I've been a roadie for 5 years, but have very little/no MTB experience. I might buy used, but I want to know its a good steed/groupo. What is the 29er 26er difference? That thing.
Old 09-16-16, 01:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,851 Posts
How much do you want to spend ... what kind of riding do you see yourself doing?
Old 09-16-16, 03:42 PM
AndySchleckfan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mostly hilly trails and 1-2hr stuff. What are the differences in bike for different mountain biking?
Old 09-16-16, 04:08 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Your already a 'Roadie' U got some power, skills, you like to go fast !

For you, an 'Entry' Level MTB will be a very short expensive love affair ending In a quick divorce, Don't Do It !!

Andy, Go to the trail head where you Intend to be riding and hang out, have a cooler full of Gatorade and hand that out to riders coming in or prepping to go out.
Simply ask them what they ride and why, It would be smart to ask riders In your age group and It's ok to judge them by body type/conditioning and apparent skill level.. If your young and crazy fast and fearless seek out that kind of rider.
Ask them what LBS is best, go there. Maybe you'll get lucky and a shop will have a rental fleet...

The trails dictate the bike as does the riders skill level and physical condition.

Modern Mountain bikes simplified ::::
Forget 26" wheeled bikes as they are fading away, tire choice will be very Limited as will bike size selection.
27.5" bikes, very agile and very quick acceleration, better for getting air, not the best fit for tall riders,,over 6'...
29er' bikes, Much faster out In the open, Very Important to get newer Frame GEO with 29er's If you seek agility AND speed.

Hard Tails, lightest and very fast.

Full suspension XC bikes also very fast now, (The Current crop) not two or three year old bikes
Trail bikes, most versatile Do It All attitude.
Enduro bikes,,a bit meaner, tuff, more weight.
Down hill bikes,,don't go there Unless your affixing race numbers and going,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,down hill racing..
Plus wheeled bikes,, well,, do you know you actually NEED that much tire ???
Fat bikes,,,well what can I say,,they are fat

Like road bikes, No wait, as you were, Twice as important as on a road bike,,,, a GOOD wheel set, nice wide rims,,,25mm I.D. for "2.2- 2.35 inch wide tires... 29mm I.D. are favored with certain tire profiles for more control.

I'm 5' 11" 170 pounds now, did not like sitting way up on my 29er HT bike but I really like sitting 'IN' my current 27.5 light trail cross country medium travel bike..

Decent lower end but very good Hard Tails start at $1,000 and Decent lower end but very good Full Sus'ers start at about $3,000. This lower end price range should be your absolute lowest end.. you are not a Bike Newb....

Last edited by osco53; 09-16-16 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 04:48 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on your riding style, and the area you ride in, 29er roll over stuff better than 26er and easier to carry momentum. I went from 26er XC FS and 29er carbon HT and liking it so far.

there are a lot of things to consider. I also went from XTR 3x9 to XT 1x11 gears, and i like how it simplifies the shifting.

my personal preference would be 29er, with a 1x system.

Shimano SLX (think Shimano 105) is a good place to start.

don't worry about weight too much, with today's low gearing, you can pretty much get over any hills if you can turn the crank fast enough, and keep the rear traction.
Old 09-16-16, 07:23 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
All the wheel size crap doesn't matter as much as people like to make out. I still have all three standards and after a few minutes riding and getting used to seeing the different size wheel out front I forget about it. The most important thing is a good fork. The difference between an entry level Suntour spring fork and intermediate level air fork like a rockshox recon is huge. The difference between deore and XT drivetrain not so much. Something with 100-120mm of travel is a good all around bike.

If you are buying new forget 26er because you wont find any except ultra lowend stuff. Used I'd be more opened to a 26er just don't pay a lot for it, resale is crap on them but some sellers haven't figured that out yet. Even used most 26ers you are going to come across are going to be older and I'd try to avoid anything much over 4 years old.