Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

(Yet another) Road bike buying advice thread.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 09:46 PM
albertf22

Bikes: '16 Emonda Alr 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've been reading bf for a while now and decided to join in order to get some input on wether or not to purchase a specific road bike.

My LBS is offering a 2014 Trek 1.2 for $600 (normally $929). I've been riding a 2011 Trek 7.1 hybrid for about 3.5 years now and definitely feel that it is holding me back for what I want to do, longer rides both in mileage and time, as I top out at about 35 miles in 2.5 - 3 hours. Originally I planned on saving for a bit higher spec'd bike, something with 105 or Tiagra, but now that I see this decent bike for $600 am considering buying it.

If i do buy it, I know I'm still going to want something a little higher, I planned on having enough for the higher end (for me) bike of around $1300 - $1600 right around April/May but if I were to get the 1.2, I'd be looking at another year for another bike. If someone has experience riding a bike in the same range as the 1.2, would you recommend toughing it out on the hybrid for another 5-6 months, or would the 1.2 be enough for what I want to do, which is 75 - 125 miles a week in 3 or 4 rides and maybe some longer rides when time allows.

Edit: Heres a link to the bike I'm looking at
https://phattirebikeshop.com/product/trek-1.2-c-193462-1.htm

Last edited by albertf22; 11-16-15 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Add a link
Old 11-16-15, 11:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
If it is indeed a 21-lb aluminum-framed bike with a carbon fork and Sora drivetrain, it sounds like a solid bike. I notice in the "Comments" section people either complained that it was noisy or didn't shift well (get it adjusted, maybe?) or had been damaged as it was a demo model. i'd suggest if you are getting a new bike (not used) for that price and the LBS is willing to check everything and then check it again in a few weeks, it's be a decent option.

I have used this level (and lower) of component without issue for a fair amount of miles---keep everything adjusted and it works fine.

Only real question is, why buy this now when you know you won't be happy---not because the bike isn't good, but because you will be wondering if another would be better?

If you have the discipline to buy this and ride it for a year or so without comparing it to some mental image of a "better" bike, and cannot wait until you can afford that bike, then buy it. If you can hold off until you buy the better bike. But make sure you shop around for a great deal then too, or your "better" bike won't be sufficiently "better."

Don't stay crouched, ready to leap, only to jump up one step. If yo are going to wait to buy a better bike, wait until you can get a Much better bike---one you can live with for a few years at least.

Or ... buy this bike, buy a 105 groupset online, and sell the Sora stuff on Ebay. Take the cash from that and get some better wheels. There's your better bike. Best part is, you can do it in stages as your income allows.
Old 11-17-15, 01:56 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter is coming. If I were you I would wait until April and get the better bike. Otherwise, April will come and you'll probably wish you had it.
Old 11-17-15, 03:08 AM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you lived around or south of the equator, I'd refer you to traditional wisdom: Buying now and riding is better than buying later and not riding. But, if that link is an indicator of your location, and considering your budget, I agree with the above posters: Ride your hybrid until the winter is done with, then "spring" for the nicer bike.
Old 11-17-15, 03:34 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I agree with the two comments above. Hold off until spring and get the bike you were planning on getting rather than settling for the sake of this sale.
Old 11-17-15, 04:49 AM
kc9eog

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Electra Ticino 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1.1 is just fine, if you can buy the 1.2 cheap now I'd say do it! If you've rode the hybrid for years then you'll be happy with the $600 road bike.
Old 11-17-15, 07:49 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You ask if the 1.2 is "enough for 75 - 125 miles a week in 3 or 4 rides and maybe some longer rides when time allows." Well, it most definitely is, although I don't see why a hybrid wouldn't be suitable for such purpose. What is it that you're having issues with when it comes to your current bike?

I ride a 1.2. The bicycle is fine. I do long rides without any issue (not sure what the issue would be exactly, if it fits it fits, which does beg a question, are you sure it is the right size?) and go on some of the local fast rides where I can guarantee you it is not the bicycle holding me back. Also plan to race on it next year. Now, it won't make you considerable faster instantly, but neither will a 105 equipped bike. The Sora drivetrain shifts just fine and the brakes are decent after changing the pads. The Vero cranks work although I did decide to replace them with Praxis Zayantes which I like much better.

With that out of the way, it looks like you have already decided you want something more expensive. In that case, I don't see the point on spending twice. Wait until you can buy what you think you need so you can be happy with your purchase. Seems to me like if you buy this one now you will always be wondering what you're missing out on or finding flaws in it to justify the need for something better, the purchase of which will be delayed since you'll be $600 down from where you are now. Your money your call though.
Old 11-17-15, 10:55 AM
albertf22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies y'all. From the feedback, I see that the bike is more than enough. The reason I had settled on buying a "better" bike was because I thought to myself, if I would buy the 1.2 at $929, I might as well put in the extra $300 - $500 for a "better" bike. Mental gymnastics, I know.
@PepeM I've been able to get up to 70 miles in a week with the hybrid, but felt the tail end of those miles I was pushing way too hard, since the bike is a lot heavier than a road bike would be, that's why I don't feel I could do better on it. Rode a friends road bike and felt it would allow me to go farther.

As far as buying 2x, I don't mind having the extra bike, since my niece could use it and the hybrid could be relegated to commuting. I just wanted to know if pouncing on it at that price was worth it, or better to hold off. I have already bought cold weather cycling gear, so barring snow and rain, I was going to be on the roads.
Old 11-17-15, 11:01 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Well I paid $800 for mine, so I would say you're getting a good deal. BTW I have weighed mine at ~24lbs ready to ride (saddle bag, water bottles, etc.) so not the lightest bike around but should still be lighter than your current one. Only thing I would recommend is to make sure it is the right size, some stores might be willing to push a leftover bike just to get rid of it even if it is the wrong size.
Old 11-17-15, 11:09 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a sora-equipped road bike in August That I've been super happy with. After about a month the shifting lost it's crispness, but I carefully re-adjusted them and now it shifts fine...It was just the new cables stretching a bit.

My bike is probably a pound heavier than the trek, but I've been doing group rides with guys on more expensive and light carbon bikes, many with Ultegra, one with sram Red...guys who have been cycling a lot longer than me...and I don't feel like the bike is holding me back; at least not enough to blame it on the bike. There are a few guys who can pull away from me, especially on descents and the long flat stretches that follow descents...but those guys do triathalons...I ride 30 miles a week...big difference.

Cycling weekly did a nice review of Sora...their conclusion: "It just works." Shimano Sora groupset review
Old 11-17-15, 11:11 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, If you get that trek for 600, and don't like it in 6 months or year, you could likely sell it for at least 400, and maybe even closet to 500 in the right market.
Old 11-17-15, 12:28 PM
albertf22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, these are all helpful replies, I'm going to take it for a test ride when the rain clears up. Interesting about upgrading the groupset down the road, I guess I could always keep that in mind. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-17-15, 12:33 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Save your money and get what you really want. Do not settle just because its a good deal.
Old 11-17-15, 12:36 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by albertf22
Well, these are all helpful replies, I'm going to take it for a test ride when the rain clears up. Interesting about upgrading the groupset down the road, I guess I could always keep that in mind. Thanks everyone.
Upgrading a group isn't the best deal ever, and you'd probably have to change wheels too. It can make sense if you're incrementally upgrading and will change the frame at a later date too, then put the original parts back on the old frame and either sell it or have a second bike for rain/winter/trainer, but it would be a better deal to get a complete bike the way you want it.
Old 11-17-15, 02:18 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kc9eog
My 1.1 is just fine, if you can buy the 1.2 cheap now I'd say do it! If you've rode the hybrid for years then you'll be happy with the $600 road bike.
I tend to agree with this logic. IF the bike is your size, that is a good deal. You can always get caught up in the "If I only spend $300 more..." game. This happens at every level. $600 for that bike is a steal if it is new. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sora. One of my employees just bought a new road bike with Sora and I have to say that it shifts quite well. I have ridden many Ultegra equipped bikes. My current bike is Campy Athena. They all shift really well in my opinion. The difference between Sora and Ultegra is mostly weight. It really has very little to do with reliability or shift quality. You pay for less weight. All of the groupsets are reliable. None of them will hold you back. If you like the frame, than go for it.
Old 11-17-15, 04:06 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
You may save a couple of hundred grams in weight by upgrading a groupset but a higher grade groupset isn't going to make the bike ride noticeably faster.

The best upgrade you could do to any prebuilt bike is replace the tyres and wheels as manufacturers seem to try to cut costs here. Every bike I've bought has had dud wheels (either heavy, low quality or they start to break spokes or all of the above). I bought a nice Giant TCR carbon fibre with Ultegra a couple of years ago ($2500 worth of bike). The wheels were ordinary and when I got them out to have a look at them the other day paint was flaking off the hubs.

Something like a set of Campagnolo Zonda wheels with Continental GP4000 tyres will do wonders for that Trek and if you get a better bike later you can take the wheels with you:

wiggle.com | Campagnolo Zonda Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels