Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New or old roubaix?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New or old roubaix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 10:39 PM
Dizzo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New or old roubaix?

Haven't biked in a while. Had a baby and well...I got fat. Time to remedy this
I have been looking at buying a specialized roubaix. I was an off roader, so this would be my first street bike. I like the roubaix for the comfort factor and the warranty.
I can get the base sl4 new for 1700 or if I try the elite and feel the new fancy stem and 105s are worth it, I can drop the $2600.
I was just looking at Craigslist and saw a very nice condition 2014 roubaix sl4 expert in my size. Asking 1700 obo.
Do you folks think it's a good idea to snag the used one if I can talk him down, or just go new?
Old 05-11-17, 10:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Whichever choice you make. Here's a Roubaix purchase that will add the most to your ride quality.

Veloflex - Tubular tyres - Roubaix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
veloflex_roubaix25_400.jpg (70.2 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-11-17 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 11:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I tend to prefer used bikes. Let someone else take the depreciation. Is the used bike running 11-speed? Ultegra? How much wear and tear on it? DOES IT FIT? It sounds pretty new, but $1700 seems a little high.

Hmmm, Bicycle Blue Book does put the price right in that area though, assuming great condition.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3052318

Still, for that price, I'd probably lean towards a 2016/2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport, 105 purchased New/NOS with full warranty.

As you have apparently figured out, one of the big differences between the SL4 and the current Roubaix is the "Future Shock", essentially a steer tube/stem shock. It seems like a logical place to put some shock absorbing, but also sounds awkward to ride. I like to stand up a bit and think the extra movement could be quite annoying. But, I haven't ridden the bike yet either.

It may be hard for a "Newbie" to judge for themselves, even with test rides.

And, $1500 to $3000 is a big chunk of change for a "Newbie" too.

So, a few options:
  • Go on a few test rides and see for yourself which feels better. Are there some hills you can climb? And buy your "dream bike"
  • Pass on the Roubaix. Buy something much cheaper. Say in the $300 to $500 range. Ride it for a few thousand miles to get your legs back and make sure you enjoy road cycling. Then when you're ready, go back in to the shop and test ride both the new Future Shock Roubaix, as well as a SL4 or Tarmac, and see what you really like. Buy your dream bike and dump the interim bike (or use it as a beater/commuter).
Of course, with a young baby, this may also be the last time you see a penny in your wallet for quite some time.
Old 05-11-17, 11:23 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Whichever choice you make. Here's a Roubaix purchase that will add the most to your ride quality.

Veloflex - Tubular tyres - Roubaix
Those Veloflex tires look pretty sweet. But is the OP riding tubulars? Most people at least start out with clinchers.
Old 05-12-17, 04:30 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzo
Haven't biked in a while. Had a baby and well...I got fat. Time to remedy this
I have been looking at buying a specialized roubaix. I was an off roader, so this would be my first street bike. I like the roubaix for the comfort factor and the warranty.
I can get the base sl4 new for 1700 or if I try the elite and feel the new fancy stem and 105s are worth it, I can drop the $2600.
I was just looking at Craigslist and saw a very nice condition 2014 roubaix sl4 expert in my size. Asking 1700 obo.
Do you folks think it's a good idea to snag the used one if I can talk him down, or just go new?
Was looking at the Roubaix before I picked up my Tarmac. The 2016/17 is much different and has some "1st in the industry" tech. Have you ridden one?
Old 05-12-17, 07:13 AM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the opinions guys.
I have not tried the Tarmac, but I have read about it.. The roads around me are pretty rough in spots. Ill be sure to try one out though.
My last year of riding, I sold my Gary fisher and road my father in laws trek fx 7.5. I used it pretty much exclusively as a roadie. I enjoyed it well enough. Being a father, and getting on in years is a big deterrent from getting another mountain bike.
I would just ride the fx and wait until fall to get the sales, but my father in law took back the trek.
Old 05-12-17, 07:22 AM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apologies! I don't think my last post was clear. The Roubaix has the tech not the Tarmac
Old 05-12-17, 07:26 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Just test rode a 2017 Roubaix after a tiring 75 mile almost always into a wind 18mph average ride and she rode sweet. Of course the Roubaix was 10 pounds lighter than the Paramount I rode but comparing it to my Propel Advanced SL, the ride was comfy, as responsive and a great no hander. Told wife about the test ride when I got home and she asked if I had ordered one. Told her I have my 175 to 200 mile birthday ride in July and the bike shop owner is going the let me ride the Roubaix to give it a proper test ride before I buy.
Old 05-12-17, 07:28 AM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Just test rode a 2017 Roubaix after a tiring 75 mile almost always into a wind 18mph average ride and she rode sweet. Of course the Roubaix was 10 pounds lighter than the Paramount I rode but comparing it to my Propel Advanced SL, the ride was comfy, as responsive and a great no hander. Told wife about the test ride when I got home and she asked if I had ordered one. Told her I have my 175 to 200 mile birthday ride in July and the bike shop owner is going the let me ride the Roubaix to give it a proper test ride before I buy.
NICE! Initial thoughts on the "shock"? Please circle back to update after your BDay ride.
Old 05-12-17, 08:00 AM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JagR
Apologies! I don't think my last post was clear. The Roubaix has the tech not the Tarmac
Yup, but that tech costs an extra $900. That does get you mech discs too. tough decision.

The one on craigslist does have ultegra. id post a link if I could
Old 05-12-17, 08:11 AM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, but that tech costs an extra $900. That does get you mech discs too. tough decision.

The one on craigslist does have ultegra. id post a link if I could
Ultegra mech or 6870?
Old 05-12-17, 08:33 AM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres the info

2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert 61cm
Frame-Specialized SL4 FACT 10r carbon
Components-Shimano 6800 Ultrega,11-speed
Seatpost-Specialized
Crankset-FSA SL-K Light,carbon BB30
Cyclometer-Sigma 1609 BC1609 STS with cadence
Pedals- Speedplay
Rims-Upgraded to PR2
Old 05-12-17, 11:10 AM
CliffordK

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/6084663596.html

Both the new and the old bikes would be excellent bikes. Or a new SL4.

61cm is a pretty tall bike. How tall are you? At least 6'? Probably in the range of 6'2 to 6'6? Someone shorter could probably ride it, but that would be a lot of money if the bike doesn't fit.

It looks like the ad has been up for a while, so perhaps the seller is willing to deal.

There are also a few other smaller Roubaix bikes in the Madison area including one with Ultegra 6770 DI2 which would make an interesting bike.
Old 05-12-17, 11:47 AM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'1. The mountain bikes I always had where at that 61 area. and fit well.
Your post prompted me to check, and it seems they do suggest a slightly smaller bike for road.
Old 05-12-17, 12:04 PM
CliffordK

So you're probably right at the edge of fitting that bike.

Actually, I've ridden vintage bikes that would be considered tall by today's standards, and am comfortable on them, or at least used to riding them.

Does a local shop carry the Roubaix you're interested in? I'd encourage you to go and try some out. Perhaps look at one around 58cm if possible, and a 61cm.

Perhaps you'll have to extrapolate a bit from their selection of floor bikes, although a big city should be pretty good with a variety to look at.

Then once you've gotten a feel for the shop bikes, also try out the Craigslist bike (hopefully the seller is willing to talk even before you've made a final decision).
Old 05-12-17, 12:14 PM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'1. The mountain bikes I always had where at that 61 area. and fit well.
Your post prompted me to check, and it seems they do suggest a slightly smaller bike for road.
Have you ever been fitted? I am 6'2.5" and ride a 58. I wouldn't base it off of your height. If you have never been professionally fitted and want to save some coin...use one of the online calculators.
Old 05-12-17, 12:56 PM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was fitted about 10 years ago. That was also for a mountain bike:/
Old 05-12-17, 12:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Thats a lot of money for a new carbon bike and Tiagra drivetrain. But hey, it has Specialized slapped on the downtube and its coming from a bike shop, so apparently thats the proper going rate.

Whichever bike you pick, you will get the seatpost that looks like it has an overgrown adams apple so thats cool...I guess.

If the used is is excellent condition, I would consider it first. I would also want to pay less than $1700 for a used carbon rim brake road bike that has some plasticy thing in the seatstays to make for a smooth ride.
Old 05-12-17, 01:38 PM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know enough about MTB bike geometry...can't help you there. Are you about the same size? If so, what are you measurements...sure I or someone here could help w/your stuff and whatever frame you are interested in.

While the "adams apple" thing might look kind of funny...it is supposed to work wonders. What plastic things are you talking about?...not familiar.
Old 05-12-17, 01:56 PM
CliffordK

While the "adams apple" thing might look kind of funny...it is supposed to work wonders. What plastic things are you talking about?...not familiar.
I think the reference was to Zerts
Old 05-12-17, 06:53 PM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know enough about MTB bike geometry...can't help you there. Are you about the same size? If so, what are you measurements...sure I or someone here could help w/your stuff and whatever frame you are interested in.

I'm the same size but fatter!
235 lbs
6'1
35" inseam
Old 05-12-17, 08:30 PM
Dizzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just spoke with the owner. I threw out 1500. He said he'd think on it.
Old 05-12-17, 11:49 PM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the same size but fatter!
235 lbs
6'1
35" inseam
Ha! Sounds all too familiar!

Go to Competitive Cyclist or Wrench Science and use their fit calculator...there are a few other key pieces that I need (arm length, UBM, etc.). FYI - It is much easier and possibly more accurate to have a partner help.

Let me know if you need help or have questions.
Old 05-13-17, 07:00 AM
tedder987

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I feel compelled to answer this as I am 6'3", 205lbs, bought a '17 roubaix in January (~1250 miles so far) and have cross shopped against the old roubaix (and Domane, and Giants).

On sizing:
You need a fit or a longish ride, but at 6'3 I ride a 58. I am longer in the leg, but if you had a longer torso you might just fit the 61. For me (old or new roubaix) the 61 was way too long a reach. So unless you are really short in the leg, I would at least find a 58 to try before you buy.

On the '17 vs SL4

I test rode and did not buy the old roubaix in 2014 and again in late 2016. I bought a '17 after 3 test rides last fall. The main differences
- the new one handles MUCH better. Much faster steering, stiffer in every good way. Frankly I always thought the old one felt like a truck
- the new one is more comfy, but the old one was still the second best I have ridden (after the new one). The front shock works, and s invisible after the first few miles. I often bounce it at lights to make sure its still there. Its not like a front suspension bike, but what it does beautifully is remove the vibration while still giving road feel. For me this was the key (high freq vibration in the handlebars on chip-seal or concrete bridge surfaces drives me nuts)
- I have >3000 mile on tiagra 4700, 2500 on 105 5800, and now 1200 on Ultegra 6800. Frankly I am not enough of a princess to feel any difference between the ultegra and 105. Both are great. The Tiagra is really good and frankly is more than good enough for your first 3000 miles/year of riding (full disclosure: I upgraded my old Giant Defy from tiagra to 105 when my brother-in-law upgraded from the 105 to DI2 so I got the derailleurs for a few BBQs)

So with all that said...

Buy an old, cheaper bike on CL and use it for a year or two while you save

Why you ask, if I love the '17 roubaix so much? The answer is that the jump from the elite ($2600) to the comp ($3400) is what you really want. The shifters go from 105 to ultegra but as I said that makes no difference. However the 2 significant changes are the wheels are much better (same ones used on the comp are also used on about 3 more higher prices points) and most of all the upgrade from mechanical to hydraulic brakes which IMHO is as big a jump as rim->disc.

So go out and buy a nice, cheaper/older (sl2 maybe?) roubaix or a very nice recent (brifter equipped) steel bike (I always liked jamis, steel is just a bit heavy though if you have mountains around, for hills it won't matter). Ride it for 2-3 years. Then buy a '17 Roubaix on CL which someone will doubtless be upgrading from to a new '19 whizzbang, or go for the new Whizzbang yourself if you have the means...
Old 05-13-17, 07:35 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Just for another data point, I'm also 6'2" and ride a 58.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.