Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I am at a loss--dogs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I am at a loss--dogs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 10:29 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just remember... everyone's dog gets loose by accident sometimes. Yes, some owners are idiots. Some are responsible and the latch on their storm door just happened to break.
Old 04-22-11, 08:24 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Just remember... everyone's dog gets loose by accident sometimes. Yes, some owners are idiots. Some are responsible and the latch on their storm door just happened to break.
Yes some responsible owners let the door latch remain broken, or a big dog breaks the latch, or even the door is unlatched, by accident. But not everyone has a dog that gets out, ever. Some people know that a heavy dog can open a properly latched screen door, and can close the inside door. It's absurdly easy to keep a dog inside.
Old 04-22-11, 09:37 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a thought that might help in dealing with dog owners. Often, no, very often, the owner and the dog will have similar behaviour. So, if the dog is really nasty prepare to meet a really nasty owner. If the dog is over protective of its' territory and starts alarming when you are a block away be prepared for a very defensive owner.

On the other hand if the dog is just sort of lost and can't figure out how to get home because the owner made a mistake and the dog got off its' home property; be prepared for a thankful owner who is glad you took the time to get a member of the family home. Maybe the dog is just chasing you hoping you know the way home and wants to play along the way.

Like learning to read the weather so you can make good related decisions it pays to learn to read dogs. It really isn't very hard. Once you do it becomes fun to meet and greet dogs along the usual route. It also makes it much easier to decide what to do with those who aren't socialized. It also makes you much more relaxed.

Warning: This does not apply to other road animal hazards like moose, wolves, cyotes, bears, and so forth.
Old 04-22-11, 06:54 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Discharging a weapon in is a serious offense, be very certain your life is in danger. What about a taser? Can you shock the dog and then kick its teeth in?
I have a metal plate in my shoulder that proves to me that a dog attacking a bicycle is a serious situation.
Old 04-23-11, 01:27 AM
beavis3901

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note : First post in this forum. Just turned 50 yrs. old 2 months ago. Think I've found a forum with subjects most relevant to me... Hope this post doesn't forever label me a weirdo but here goes...

Though I think the BB pistol may be the best solution to dog problems, I have another. It doesn't cost anything, does not cause any harm or pain ( to you or the dog, in case of wind), will not be threatning to dog owners, but will stop them in their tracks... Your own pee.

Yep. Fill up a small spray bottle with your pee, shoot dog in face, watch dog go from aggressive killer to retreating confused mutt.

Don't ask how I stumbled upon this , but has worked on the few dogs I've tried it own. Maybe for the more adventurous cyclist.
Old 04-24-11, 09:04 PM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beavis3901
Though I think the BB pistol may be the best solution to dog problems, I have another. It doesn't cost anything, does not cause any harm or pain ( to you or the dog, in case of wind), will not be threatning to dog owners, but will stop them in their tracks... Your own pee.

Yep. Fill up a small spray bottle with your pee, shoot dog in face, watch dog go from aggressive killer to retreating confused mutt.

Don't ask how I stumbled upon this , but has worked on the few dogs I've tried it own. Maybe for the more adventurous cyclist.
I suppose some would be more effective? For example, after drinking Schlitz beer, pee would a good deal nastier than if you only drank Bud Light.

Old 04-24-11, 09:15 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
I suppose some would be more effective? For example, after drinking Schlitz beer, pee would a good deal nastier than if you only drank Bud Light.

Or maybe eat a few asperagus spears first.
Old 04-24-11, 09:23 PM
xizangstan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Or maybe eat a few asperagus spears first.
I've heard the ladies have some theories about asparagus and men. But I thought it related to something else...
Old 04-24-11, 10:33 PM
Rizzo

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento MTB - TBA Soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delivers a piercing 120dB blast at 10 feet. Can be heard for half mile.

While actually being attacked and tangling with a dog your best defense would be to break one or both back legs, of the dog. A dog's neck is very tough.

Last edited by Rizzo; 04-29-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 09:47 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had a run-in with a sheep dog(a REAL sheep dog) tending to a herd of sheep. Came up Engineer's Pass in Colorado on my dirt bike and had to stop because of thousands of sheep at about 13,000 ft nonetheless! The dog came and did it's job, which was to protect the herd. It did not attack but would not allow me to pass. The non-English-speaking shepherd was about 1/8 mile away and stood there and did nothing. I motioned for him to get the dog.....nothing. I then motioned I would take out a gun and shoot the dog and then the dude was more than happy to tend to his dog
Old 04-26-11, 08:01 AM
xizangstan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Had a run-in with a sheep dog(a REAL sheep dog) tending to a herd of sheep. Came up Engineer's Pass in Colorado on my dirt bike and had to stop because of thousands of sheep at about 13,000 ft nonetheless! The dog came and did it's job, which was to protect the herd. It did not attack but would not allow me to pass. The non-English-speaking shepherd was about 1/8 mile away and stood there and did nothing. I motioned for him to get the dog.....nothing. I then motioned I would take out a gun and shoot the dog and then the dude was more than happy to tend to his dog
Please be careful that you're on public land when you do that. I've owned mountain land in Colorado, and had strangers come up to threaten me on my own land. Not a good move on their part. Same as me going into their back yard in the city and threatening them.
Old 04-27-11, 02:32 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xizangstan
Please be careful that you're on public land when you do that. I've owned mountain land in Colorado, and had strangers come up to threaten me on my own land. Not a good move on their part. Same as me going into their back yard in the city and threatening them.
Or, not on public land that has been leased to a private party. Or, for that matter just about anywhere. Pretty much an indefensiible postion to kill a dog when it is not attacking or endangering you and all you had to do to avoid was to turn around and go the other way. Interfering with your non-emergency travel without becoming a threat to your life isn't an offense worthy of the death sentence.
Old 05-21-11, 02:21 PM
Franky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I shot at someone's dog regardless of scenario I'd first be looking for the owner on the porch with a rifle. No kidding. You shoot a man's dog around here and he will shoot back. If not, you best get yourself a real good lawyer. Animal rights have taken this stuff nationwide in a heartbeat.

1. If a dog owner purposely has a "dangerous" dog on his property, I can bet you he has gun(s) in his house, and I can see this escalating to an actual gun battle. Seriously. Folks who keep dangerous dogs who aren't under control are not nice folks.

Unfortunately the above statements are probably the most realistic. It is dfficult to believe that an untrained aggressive dog that charges people is not clearly a scenerio that the owner is aware of or possibly even encourages. I would contact law enforcement and report the house and the situation and ask if u are seroiusly threatened by the dog and have to take deadly force against the animal in a really aggressive and fearful situation what the law is (providing u r a rightful concealed gun liscense holder). Run this by ur attorney also and get his/her opinion just in case.

Last edited by Franky; 05-21-11 at 02:50 PM.