Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sram Road 11 speed with 11-36 cassette?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sram Road 11 speed with 11-36 cassette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, I have not done what you want to do , but that should not stop you from trying it for yourself .

I put about the same crank* on my Road/cross bike as my Touring bike , no carbon frames , no indexed shifting .

I just dont use those bikes much, on a daily basis.

I've gone full circle ... back to IGH , but there have been Improvements since 1958, to those components.

* 50,40,24 ; .. the Road & Cross bike Have a 13~28 instead of 13~34.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-02-16 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 07:19 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Slightly OT, and of course if you want really low gears, get them, but this isn't actually true. Every relevant study I have ever seen shows that people in their sixties see increases in muscle mass and proportionally much greater increases in strength when put through a systematic, and sometimes not especially strenuous, program of resistance exercise. And obviously, the more sedentary people have been, the bigger the gains they are likely to see.
That may be your experience, but for me it's completely different!

At 70, I find myself riding in lower gears, to make it easier to ride. Also, with age comes a lot of health complications, and some of the drugs that drag you down in an effort to save my heart.

Yeah, I was fine with higher gears in my 50s and early 60s, but the last couple of years have been very trying! I used to surprise a lot of "kids" with my speed and stamina, but, sadly, some of my meds changed that...... and it ain't from lack of trying.

I really appreciate the lower gears, some of which I seldom accessed 5-10 years ago. I still like to go fast, I just look for more downhills to do it!
Old 01-11-16, 04:16 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
This is where I reveal my stupidity: I bought a Jamis Renegade Expert last June. They list it under "road" bikes, but it might be similar to cyclocross. Marketed as a "go-anywhere, do anything" bike, I tried the stock gearing, 11-28 and 50/34 compact crankset. It didn't have low enough gearing for the hills I ride. My bike dealer swore I couldn't put a triple crankset on it or even a smaller than 34T chainring. Eventually I believed him (when someone tells you something enough times, you think it's the truth) and spent an amount of money equal to the original cost of the bike in order to convert to SRAM XX1. New SRAM cassette 10-42, new SRAM RD, new wheel to accept the new SRAM hub and SRAM hub driver, new SRAM shifters. I now have the original 34T crank, minus the large 50T chain ring (they said the 10-42 won't work with anything but a single chainring up front). In other words, a 1x11, 34T x 10-42 cassette, which yields 22 to 92.4 gear inches. It seems to work for me (it is a little lacking downhill), although I wonder if I could have managed to spend more money to accomplish the same result. A different bike dealer has since told me he could have put a triple crank on my bike that would have worked with the original cassette and shifters.
Old 01-23-16, 06:43 PM
Gwenallt29

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Yeti

I've just purchased a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 with a Shimano Ultegra 11-32 at the back and the standard Shimano Ultegra 34/50 at the front - with hydraulic brakes. However, I live on top of a hill with z bends and really miss the 11-36 X5 SRAM I had on my old Moda! Would love a 11-36 but Shimano don't make these! Have been looking at SRAM and was very interested in what hughwill has done. have you found anything for the Shimano?
Old 01-23-16, 06:59 PM
Gwenallt29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from West Wales!

Loved reading your post and am coming from exactly the same place!

I've just purchased a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 with a Shimano Ultegra 11-32 at the back and the standard Shimano Ultegra 34/50 at the front - with hydraulic brakes. However, I live on top of a hill with z bends and really miss the 11-36 X5 SRAM I had on my old Moda! Would love a 11-36 but Shimano don't make these! Have been looking at SRAM and was very interested in what you have done. Are you also using hydraulic brakes as this apparently limits my options too!

Cheers
Maldwyn
Old 02-02-16, 11:27 AM
hughwill

Bikes: Boardman CXR9, Boardman Team CX. Schwinn shopping bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yetirider
Hi Hugh

Where did you source the cassette?
Is it the 11 speed or 10?

I have a Shimano setup but would like to try an 11-36, I have a long cage mech and a rough try with a 10 speed 10-36 which seemed to work.

Living in the Peak District i need all the help I can get on our hills.
Sorry for the delay in replying (can't even use the excuse of being out on
the bike all the time- will these winds ever stop?). The cassette is an 11 speed
PG1170 11-36. Sram advertise them as MTB rather than road and as part of their
Sram Force CX1 range of 1X11 gearsets. If you look up PG1170 you'll often just
see the road range which only goes up to 11-32.

Good luck with it!

In reply to Maldwyn- yes indeed, I've got splendid Sram Force Hydraulic discs-
they are fabulous, once anyone tries them they'll never go back!

Last edited by hughwill; 02-02-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 09:05 AM
yetirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got mine working at 10 speed, I have an 11 speed Ultegra setup, got a cheap SRAM 11-36 MTB cassette to try.
Took the top three cogs spider off the Ultegra and replaced them with the top three from the SRAM and adjusted the mech so it runs.
It shifts OK not silky smooth like the Ultegra but i'll continue with fine adjustments.
For a hilly region its very rideable and the 36 only comes into play usually at the end of a steep ride to back off and get to the top.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0934.jpg (65.1 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by yetirider; 02-06-16 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 05:56 PM
Gwenallt29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just bought a Giant Defy Pro Advanced 2 which came with Shimano 11-32 rear cassette. This gearing was not low enough for the steep hill where I live! I followed up on a piece of advice on here and my LBS CycleMart in (West Wales) imported the Wolf Tooth RoadLink. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink This is a simple, effective and cheap device that offsets the position of the Shimano road derailleur to make it possible to run a wide-range mountain bike style cassette. It is an ideal and cheap solution for converting a road bike with double chainring (or single) in order to lower gearing for those ultra steep climbs. They swapped the Shimano 11-32 for a SRAM 11-36 cassette and it works a dream!
Old 02-07-16, 07:13 AM
yetirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gwenallt29
I have just bought a Giant Defy Pro Advanced 2 which came with Shimano 11-32 rear cassette. This gearing was not low enough for the steep hill where I live! I followed up on a piece of advice on here and my LBS CycleMart in (West Wales) imported the Wolf Tooth RoadLink. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink This is a simple, effective and cheap device that offsets the position of the Shimano road derailleur to make it possible to run a wide-range mountain bike style cassette. It is an ideal and cheap solution for converting a road bike with double chainring (or single) in order to lower gearing for those ultra steep climbs. They swapped the Shimano 11-32 for a SRAM 11-36 cassette and it works a dream!
Cheers just ordered one, makes me wonder if I should have got a better cassette rather than the cheap one, can always upgrade and keep it as a spare, I have 2 bikes running an 11-36.
Old 02-07-16, 09:40 AM
yetirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why I love a 36 on the back, not really sure if I would like to live in a flat area, the hills are the challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rige.jpg (53.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 02-16-16, 10:31 AM
tschenkel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking good, Hugh. Does this mean I could just swap the 11-32 cassette on my Rival-22-Hydro Gravel/Adventure/Cyclocross/Road/Off-Road-Bike for the 11-36 and gain an additional off-road granny gear? Was thinking of trying that for an off-road wheel set, 36/34 would make a good single-track climbing gear. Anything lower and I'm quicker carrying the bike, anyway ;-)
Old 02-16-16, 04:57 PM
hughwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tschenkel
Looking good, Hugh. Does this mean I could just swap the 11-32 cassette on my Rival-22-Hydro Gravel/Adventure/Cyclocross/Road/Off-Road-Bike for the 11-36 and gain an additional off-road granny gear?
It does indeed. Look for an PG1170 11-36 cassette. Pricey but worth it.
Old 02-17-16, 11:07 AM
yetirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hughwill
It does indeed. Look for an PG1170 11-36 cassette. Pricey but worth it.
I got mine from Rose, only took a few days to deliver and cheapest I could see.
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/...tte/aid:712576
Old 02-17-16, 12:23 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Run a 1x10 on my road bike with 11-36 and X.9 RD and bar end shifter- all works well.
Old 02-26-16, 09:13 PM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
As promised the results of the build. After about 100 miles not one shift has missed
and as can be seen from the second photo it happily cross chains to provide all 22 gears. Pity that SRAM are so coy about having
produced such a great piece of kit for us oldies (even to the point of an agent suggesting that warranties might be void if non-recommended
combinations are used).

The specs are as planned with Force 22 Hydraulics, chainset and normal (not 1X11) Mid-cage RD. Right, off to my favourite bete noir hill.....

Thanks again for all the advice and comment.
Such a useful thread for me. My issue is quite similar.

This is what I had posted elsewhere:

I'm building Titanium bikes for my wife and myself. Also planning to use them for light touring.

Was thinking of the Tiagra 4700 for the triple or the 5700, but read that the 4700 is better than the 5700. 5800 and 6800 are within budget but I can't get a low gearing. I really hate the thought of our most expensive frames being fitted with the cheapest and heaviest groupset. Would also prefer the narrower Q factor of a double.

Now suddenly thought about Force 22. If it drives a SRAM MTB RD, it would get me a big cassette and would do the job. Will this work?

I currently have the 10 speed SRAM Red shifters with a MTB RD and cassette on one of my wifes bikes, and it works fine. Will 11 speed also work with a MTB RD?
Now I read that I can get a SRAM 22 to work with a 36 cog cassette. That would solve my issues, and save weight also. I have always preferred SRAM too.

Do you think this should work with Rival 22 also? Would the bike make a difference? RD hanger shape etc?
Old 02-26-16, 09:28 PM
deepakvrao

That chainstay is an odd shape. Do you guys think that is why the RD works with a 36 cog?
Old 02-27-16, 02:55 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by bykemike
FWIW, I have the Sram 11 speed Force group on my Tarmac, 50/34 compact with the 11/36 cassette. I put it together earlier in the year (posted about it) and took it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway about a month after I dialed it in and climbed just about everything on the southern end of the Parkway from Little Switzerland down to Cherokee with no big issues. Some of the climbs had me a little beat but really not too bad for a Florida guy (66). Despite some of the discussion I used the 11 on every downhill.

I would want lower if I were to cyclocross in a hilly area but on paved it was good. It is really so subjective though.
Is this with the Force RD?
Old 02-27-16, 04:25 AM
hughwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
That chainstay is an odd shape. Do you guys think that is why the RD works with a 36 cog?
No. The chainstay is like that simply to match the non chain side which is designed for the disc brakes. The hanger is in the usual position.
Old 02-27-16, 05:16 AM
deepakvrao

No. The chainstay is like that simply to match the non chain side which is designed for the disc brakes. The hanger is in the usual position.

So, is that the regular Force RD, and what did you have to do to get the 36 on? Just the b screw screwed in, or something more?
Old 02-27-16, 05:54 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Is this with the Force RD?
Yes, Force RD with medium chain cage, easy to dial in and shift flawlessly. It will cross chain all the gears but I try not to use the big/big but sometimes just space out and forget to shift.
Old 02-27-16, 05:58 AM
deepakvrao

Yes, Force RD with medium chain cage, easy to dial in and shift flawlessly. It will cross chain all the gears but I try not to use the big/big but sometimes just space out and forget to shift.

Thanks so much. If I can put on a 36 at the back, I'm saved of the Tiagra. Much prefer SRAM and Force anyway. I've also decided to ditch the Rival idea and get the Force.
Old 02-27-16, 06:09 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
No problem, love your crazyguy blogs!
Old 04-27-16, 10:40 AM
TexasChip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just came across this thread. I am trying to accomplish the same thing as hughwill (running 11-36 cassette with dual chainring setup). Having almost no bike mechanic skills or experience (have changed cassettes and chains, that's it), I am not clear about what it will take for me to accomplish that.

Right now, I am running a SRAM Force 22 setup, 50x34 chainrings with 11-32 cassette and SRAM Force 22 WiFLi 11 Speed Rear Mech RD. I would like to move to 11-36 due to some nasty hills on some upcoming rides. I am not clear what else I need to change on my bike to be able to go to a 11-36 cassette. I understand I may have to install a new (longer) chain, but anything else I need to change? The RD? The RD hanger? Do I need the RoadLink? Or will the existing RD be able to accommodate the 11-36 cassette just by adjusting the B-screw?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!
Old 04-27-16, 03:46 PM
Compositions

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread everyone. I've only recently turned 50 (March 31) and I have so much respect for you guys especially you guys that are 70 plus. You inspire me and I hope that I can be as dedicated to my conditioning as you. Each and every one of you would drop me in the hills and I'm a former Division 1 college athlete. Anyway I follow this guy Durianrider on YouTube and he talks about exactly what this thread is about. Please excuse his language as he has no qualms about dropping F-bombs but if you follow him on Strava and see the rides that he does you won’t question his dedication to cycling. I find his cycling advice credible. In the following link he talks about using an 11 speed with a compact crankset and a 40 cassette. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKGy9FphYI. In this link he talks about using an 11 speed with a compact crankset and a 32 cassette with a short cage 105 RD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLldNX7s-c8. One more video to watch is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsC1CsiQTwg where Durianrider talks about a triple crankset and a 36 rear cassette. My takeaway from this is do whatever you have to do to make the gearing you need work and if it saves your knees it might be worth it to void the warranty in the process. Don’t be scared to use a mountain bike rear DR if that’s what it takes. Keep riding and when you pedal past the young cool guys pushing their perfectly tricked out, brand new, uber expensive bike up the hill, you win
Old 05-19-16, 05:47 AM
deepakvrao

FWIW, I have the Sram 11 speed Force group on my Tarmac, 50/34 compact with the 11/36 cassette. I put it together earlier in the year (posted about it) and took it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway about a month after I dialed it in and climbed just about everything on the southern end of the Parkway from Little Switzerland down to Cherokee with no big issues. Some of the climbs had me a little beat but really not too bad for a Florida guy (66). Despite some of the discussion I used the 11 on every downhill.

I would want lower if I were to cyclocross in a hilly area but on paved it was good. It is really so subjective though.
Which RD do you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.