Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Threadless Shimano 600 Tricolor dust caps?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 08:36 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,008 Times in 1,783 Posts

Took the new to me Miyata 914SE out for a proper test ride today. A few miles into the ride I starting getting a clicking, knocking feeling as I pedaled. Got home and if I leverage both crank arms there is some movement there. No big deal probably but this one has dust covers that look mint and I'd rather not trash them like I have others in the past. A quick search found some pics of similar ones that are referenced as "threadless". They appear to have an O ring around them and a slot on the edge. I assume you just pry these out but couldn't find out for certain with an internet search. So...what do the experts here say?

They look like this, not the plastic screw on one's I've had before with the tricolor logo.

Figure if it's not a loose crankarm then I'll throw in a new cartridge BB.
Old 09-15-20, 08:42 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
That’s what I’ve always done with them. Use a fine blades screw driver and they pop right out. Maybe grease the o rings upon reinsertion.

Likes For amillhench:
Old 09-15-20, 08:57 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
yeah I just dropped in a Phil Wood BB, 113mm symmetrical to run with my Shim 600 cranks. Smooth.......
Old 09-15-20, 09:06 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by klasse
yeah I just dropped in a Phil Wood BB, 113mm symmetrical to run with my Shim 600 cranks. Smooth.......
Sweet, but I'll be sticking to a Shimano probably. The Phil Wood setup would probably cost me more than the whole bike did, LOL!
Old 09-15-20, 09:44 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Makes sense. by the way, I have only seen the Shim 600 dust covers that pop off (no threads)
Old 09-16-20, 06:20 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by klasse
Makes sense. by the way, I have only seen the Shim 600 dust covers that pop off (no threads)
You made me question my memory....

3 bikes I have right now are 600 Tricolor. All have this type. The Basso was a fresh rebuild when I got it and the Davidson actually went into the shop for some work and I had them take out and BB on it while it was there. The Ciocc had the one that took an allen wrench in the center but it was only Shimano 600, not tricolor.