Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape 1 (disc) or Giant Roam 1

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 01:27 PM
mighty_mouf89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

So i'm new to this forum but I've been doing some searches and reading a few threads regarding the escape, roam and fastroad bikes (generally). Just a little about myself..

I'm coming from a straight up mountain bike, Specialized Rockhopper (2014) I paid $880 for it when I bought it. Definitely into the wooded trails with hills, etc... now that i'm a older and not really a lot of ppl I can get together and ride with on trails such as this, i'm looking more into the hybrid field of bikes. So mostly if not all will be on paved trails so I can mainly get out there by myself and ride. No city/road riding just on paved trails. So with that being said, not sure if I should go with the Roam 1 which is around the same price range as my Rockhopper (actually $60 cheaper than my Rockhopper) or go with the Escape 1 that has the hydraulic disc brakes with it that's $650.

If i'm not mistaken one of the main differences b/t those two models is the Escape doesn't have suspension/shock but the Roam does. Naturally with being in the woods on trails this is hella important but with paved asphalt will this be that much of a big deal? Also I know the tires are a bit thicker/bigger on the Roam vs the Escape. I definitely don't want to get into a road bike because I've had one before and honestly riding on roads and in the city is very dangerous which is why I got rid of it and went to a mountain bike. So unless i'm actually on the road, I don't like the concept of the drop down bars. So I definitely prefer the flat bar. I was looking into the Fastroad SLR but those are a little out of my price range at $1100!!

** FYI, I just remembered the Roam 1 also has hydraulic disc brakes so that wouldn't matter.

Also Giant is by far the best bang for your buck in my opinion with what they have to offer. If I recall the Escape 1 (disc) priced at $650 and the Specialized Sirrus Sport are very much similar in specs but the Specialized is $100 more.

So with that being said, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-17, 03:30 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe if you are leaning towards less traveled paths , maybe the toughroad would work for you.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-2
Between the 2 choices you posted the Roam might be better than the escape for your riding style.
I ride a Roam 3 mostly on the road , but mostly because it's really smooth and comfortable for my physical needs.
The Roam 1 is a much nicer bike than mine , but I'm happy with the 3.
I originally was looking at the escape , but for my riding area and style , the roam was a better fit for me.
Check them all and take a ride on each , you'll know whats right for you.
Mick
Old 04-10-17, 04:35 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have 2 Roams - a 2011 and a 2017. I ride them mostly on Levy roads (very rough gravel and rock 2-track with no maintenance) out in the Everglades around where I live. The suspension is really nice for this type of terrain and the 40c wide tires are great as well. If I were to buy a bike for pavement riding though I would not get a suspension and go for slightly narrower tires - I would get the Escape. I love the Roam(s) for the type of riding that I do but...

You have the Rockhopper if you want to go off road. If you want to stay with a hybrid style flat-bar bike that is similar to your MTB then go for the Escape. It's lighter and less $.

You are right about Giant. I've tested and looked at lots of bikes over the last year and in the majority of cases Giant provides the best value. Especially when it comes to the groupset, brakes, etc. - usually one or two steps up at the same pricepoint.

Last edited by dbf909; 04-11-17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 05:13 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with your conclusion on Giant being best bang for the buck, that's what I always come up with.

I have a 2002 Sedona LX (back when they were pretty decent bikes with a Deore drive train), and a 2015 Roam 1. I love them both and have no regrets.

The front shock is a very personal thing, which often results in debates full of myth and sometimes fact. You really have to make up your own mind on what you want as many will try to steer you (no pun intended) with their own personal opinions.

I will say that I ride mine 50% on paved roads and trails, and 50% on gravel and dirt trails, and I never lock my front fork. I do not find that it adds anything detrimental in terms of weight, nor that it bobs up and down uncontrollably like some will have you believe, and has zero downside for me, but offers a lot of upside in terms of cushioning the jarring blows from potholes, ruts, curbs, cracks in pavement, roots on paths, etc. I'm mid-50's and have issues with wrists, neck and back, and to me, the Roam is a perfect match for me and the kind of riding I do.

I run Continental SpeedRide 700x42's on my Roam, which actually measure 38mm inflated, and these are fantastic tires. They roll faaaaast, grip like spiderman, and can go anywhere from 40 to 80 psi, so pick your poison there. I don't have any desire to go with narrower tires. The SpeedRides are so much better than the stock tires that came with the Roam grip wise.

I will say that the Roam 1 is quite better equipped than the Escape 1 - full Deore drive train vs mix of Altus and Alivio; and Shimano brakes vs Tektro. But that said, the Escape is also a great bike - you just have to decide what you want.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 04-10-17, 06:02 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If you're planning on riding pavement, gravel trails and some dirt paths, then I think you would like the Escape without the front suspension.
Old 04-10-17, 08:06 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2016 Roam 2 which I love to bits. Albeit it has been modified quite heavily. Stock it was great too. Comfortable and a bit of a do everything machine. When I had it equipped with the suspension I'd ride blue trails to road to dirt. I love that about the bike. Over the winter I pulled the 3x crank and put a Race Face Ride 34 tooth single up front with an Ultegra 11-25 out back. Find it suits my environment quite well. I also ditched the suspension in favour of a rigid cyclocross fork. Overall though, the frame is very versatile and I would buy one again.

Now, I would also consider the Toughroad. I have a soft spot for that bike.
Old 04-10-17, 08:53 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi mikew,

I'm assuming you meant to say less "graveled"? And if that's the case, i'm curious as to why you would suggest the Toughroad? Pretty much the trail I would do is paved trails. So no limbs, branches, woods, etc.. I would think because of this the Escape would be the better way to go. That's what my rep said at my LBS. If i was doing riding on gravel and rocks then he stated the Roam would be the way to go but if it's mostly paved he stated the Escape. If you don't mind me asking, what's your riding area and style?
Old 04-10-17, 08:58 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey practical, so do you ride on trails with your Escape 1 that's gravel and dirt paths? Or is it mostly paved trails? What's the ratio of both?
Old 04-11-17, 02:31 AM
CadenceBoy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mighty_mouf89
Hi mikew,
Pretty much the trail I would do is paved trails.
So no limbs, branches, woods, etc.. I would think because of this the Escape would be the better way to go.
That's what my rep said at my LBS.
Yes, your LBS is right, the Escape is better suited for that.
Get the right sized frame and enjoy
Old 04-11-17, 09:56 AM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to throw in some advice. I used to believe it was safer to ride on the paved trails or "bike paths" and they can be great for a leisurely ride but if you live in a somewhat busy area where cars cross over its path alot (stop signs driveways ect) the giant escape will be dangerously fast for that. I started on riding a trek fx on the paved recreation pathways and had many close call back then & acually had contact with cars at stop lights where the walk light was on. They sometimes make these pathways through woods along old train tracks power lines with no inturuptions or dangers which is prob one of my fav places to ride.

Last edited by bikingtotown; 04-11-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-11-17, 10:26 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mighty_mouf89
hey practical, so do you ride on trails with your Escape 1 that's gravel and dirt paths? Or is it mostly paved trails? What's the ratio of both?
I have been riding my Escape 1 for the past several years. I ride 90% on pavement but don't hesitate to use it on gravel rail trails or dirt paths or most back roads (unless there is a lot of loose sand and stones). I don't ride it where there are roots and rocks. I ride in all kinds of weather including winter weather. I like that it feels fast enough and, with the triple gearing, capable of climbing almost any hill (and there are plenty of those where I live). I just feel a front suspension is not needed unless you are mountain biking.
Old 04-11-17, 03:04 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I noticed the fastroad in the header , the toughroad is similar but for unknown hazards and mixed surfaces the toughroad is very fast,durable,lighter , just a really nice combination for "not smooth road " riding.
My riding is a combination of smooth to very rough road , smooth to really rough "paved" trails, crushed cinder canal paths , getting squeezed off the road onto bad shoulders , jumping curbs (by necessity) , ice , snow , basically upstate New York type stuff.
I bought the Roam before I knew what I was going to do , how far I might ride , my physical ability on a given day.
With that in mind , I might have bought the toughroad instead , money permitting.
Just more options to ponder.
Mick
Old 04-11-17, 05:36 PM
Timj219

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding for enjoyment, fitness, commuting, errands pretty much in that order.
I recently bought the escape 1 disc. I think it's a great value. I ride mostly paved roads but I've already had it on gravel and relatively smooth dirt path. Given the 700c wheel size and 32mm tires I think it handles the gravel/dirt well. I absolutely love it on road and paved paths. I put fenders on it and I've had it out in wet weather the disc brake really is great in that situation. Gears are a wide range, allows an old guy like me to handle the hills but 48/11 lets me go almost as fast as I'd like on the flat. Shifting is as smooth as I could wish. Handlebars are a little wider and have a bit more rise and sweep than is ideal for me but obviously very subjective and of course easy to change out later.
Recommended without reservation.
Old 04-11-17, 05:51 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I'll counter what everyone is saying about gravel and dirt roads with loose stone. I had mostly gravel and dirt roads at home that I rode on when I first got my Giant Escape. With 32's, I did not like it at all. It is all hills where I lived and I maybe saw a handful of sections in 20 miles that I could say was flat for less than 100 yards. I was new at the time so I didn't climb very fast but going back down the hills, I was just as slow as going up because I was easing down on the brakes.

On gravel/dirt roads, I would chose the Roam. Anything smooth though and I love my Escape 1. I swapped out the stock 32's for Schwalbe Marathon with Greengard puncture resistance in 28 size. Love these tires. The gain in speed was noticeable. I ride hard packed dirt, hard packed crushed limestone, paved trails, and on the road.
Old 04-11-17, 06:21 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi bikingtotown,

So yea i understand what you're saying, but on the trails i'm talking about they're mostly at parks or a "nature" area so there are no cars at all on these type trails and they're all paved. For example one in my area that's not too far from actually goes 500+ miles. Prolly longer than that actually. It's in the woods, however, it's all paved. I'm sure there would be people walking it and also riding their bikes on it but other than that no real obstacles.
Old 04-11-17, 06:25 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey practical -

Thanks for clarifying! sounds like it'll be the same as what i do. But prolly 95-98% being on pavement. And if not pavement, then definitely nothing too out the ordinary as far as other trails, but what you stated.
Old 04-11-17, 06:28 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Timj219.. thanks for your input. i appreciate it.
Old 04-11-17, 06:39 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All -

So i pulled the trigger on the 2017 Giant Escape 1 with the hydraulic brakes for $650. I felt it was the better value.

I'll post a new thread and give a little bit more detail on everything. I appreciate all of you guys' opinions!!!
Old 04-11-17, 07:06 PM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice and congrats on the new bike & may it bring you on many enjoyable rides! I loved my trek fx(same type of bike) and kinda miss it. I rode that thing everywhere.
Old 04-13-17, 06:55 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Is there something the Escape does better than the Rockhopper? IMO the Rockhopper is pretty hard to destroy.
Old 04-14-17, 10:56 AM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cs1 - two totally different bikes. My Rockhopper was mainly for wooded trails, rough terrain, etc... my Escape 1 is mainly for paved trails.
Old 04-14-17, 08:21 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I know thinner tires always are suggested for paved paths. but unlike the paths are always perfect and streets are perfect, larger tires still seem better.

Unless your paths are always perfect, larger tires don't give you more real life rolling resistance. Similar for tire pressure

I don't have proof, but also think your rims get bent less if you have more rubber (and air) around them. Like in cars where you ding up your large 20" wheels all the time and 16" wheels last forever.

Among many other reasons i chose the toughroad with 50 mm tires and they roll great on perfect paths and much likely are much better on non-perfect pavement.

I know you didn't aks about tires, so my advice is unsolicited. But i cross-shopped the Escape and didn't like the skinnier tires and it didn't ride as stable on paved paths i tested it at.
Old 04-16-17, 07:14 PM
mighty_mouf89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I know thinner tires always are suggested for paved paths. but unlike the paths are always perfect and streets are perfect, larger tires still seem better.

Unless your paths are always perfect, larger tires don't give you more real life rolling resistance. Similar for tire pressure

I don't have proof, but also think your rims get bent less if you have more rubber (and air) around them. Like in cars where you ding up your large 20" wheels all the time and 16" wheels last forever.

Among many other reasons i chose the toughroad with 50 mm tires and they roll great on perfect paths and much likely are much better on non-perfect pavement.

I know you didn't aks about tires, so my advice is unsolicited. But i cross-shopped the Escape and didn't like the skinnier tires and it didn't ride as stable on paved paths i tested it at.

No I appreciate your feedback & opinion. In my case I'll mostly be doing paved trails.