Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grail as a bike road

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Grail as a bike road

Old 09-19-19, 11:40 AM
Franish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grail as a bike road

Hi there

I wanna use my canyon grail as a road bike on training and competition bike starts with road bikes on very amateur/regional level. Can we compare grail to endurance road bikes?
Old 09-19-19, 02:38 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "competition bike starts" - I'll assume you're looking into beginner to intermediate-level racing, group rides, etc. The short answer is "Yes" - a Grail (any gravel bike) will work fine as a road bike.... assuming you swap the wheels/tires from the 40mm to something in the 25-28mm range.

I have a handful of road bikes - one is a light, aggressive (geometry) race bike. That bike definitely feels faster than my Grail. Part of it is weight. But at 18.5 lbs, the Grail isn't a tank by any means. It's really just the aggregation of factors - the weight, the longer rear triangle (chain stays), head tube angle, bottom bracket height. They're all subtle, but they add up. So, the Grail wouldn't be ideal for Cat1... or 2 or 3 or 4 racing... or crits... But, it's not so bad that it's going to be the reason you don't get on the podium as you start out. Plus, you get to go ride gravel and single track too!

If I had only one bike - it'd be that Grail with the two sets of wheels.
Old 09-20-19, 04:03 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
What he said above

Mechanically it will be fine. But the geo will put you in a non aero position
Old 09-20-19, 04:20 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Mechanically it will be fine. But the geo will put you in a non aero position
Why won't he be able to get an aero position?
Old 09-20-19, 06:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You will be fine with road riding, training, and racing. People have been racing RRs and crits on cross bikes for decades. This isn't all that different.

The one issue you may encounter is the handlebar - assuming you have the fancy, double-decker one. I'm not sure whether it violates any equipment rules or if the flex system will hamper you on the road.
Old 09-20-19, 06:25 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Large stack

From my limited experience riding one. Its an endurance bike so you are put more upright. Stacks is put at 600+ on Cannons site

Originally Posted by Dean V
Why won't he be able to get an aero position?
Old 09-20-19, 07:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The stack on my Cervelo R3 is 605-- a scant 4mm shorter than my CX bike. I have absolutely no problems riding in an aero position on either of them. The stack on the AL framed Grail is the same for my size, 605. Maybe the OP is on aluminum.
Old 09-23-19, 07:58 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
From my limited experience riding one. Its an endurance bike so you are put more upright. Stacks is put at 600+ on Cannons site
Which means it’s gong to tend to set up in a more upright position. however with the right stem, frame size, etc, you should be able to set
it up with an aero position
Old 09-25-19, 07:50 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Yeah ...

Your both right of course, but making an endurance geo more like a racing geo with stems, and offset posts etc. doesnt work so well in my experience.

OP if your not going to race you will be fine. Practice drafting and never offer to pull(!) and you will never notice the endurance geo.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The stack on my Cervelo R3 is 605-- a scant 4mm shorter than my CX bike. I have absolutely no problems riding in an aero position on either of them. The stack on the AL framed Grail is the same for my size, 605. Maybe the OP is on aluminum.
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Which means it’s gong to tend to set up in a more upright position. however with the right stem, frame size, etc, you should be able to set
it up with an aero position
Old 09-25-19, 08:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The notion that the geo on an R3 is "endurance" is... not right. Could be my spidery arms and legs, but I have a zero offset post, a 110 stem... and right around 7 inches of saddle-to-bar drop.
Old 09-25-19, 10:05 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The notion that the geo on an R3 is "endurance" is... not right. Could be my spidery arms and legs, but I have a zero offset post, a 110 stem... and right around 7 inches of saddle-to-bar drop.
Your build might not be an "endurance" fit, but minimizing saddle setback and using a long stem indicates that the frame itself is fairly slack and short for the build.

For example, my gravel bike, built from an old mountain bike with beach-cruiser-esque geometry:

On my "normal" road bikes I don't ride with my saddle pushed forward on a zero-offset post, but because the frame is so slack, I had to do that to achieve a road-like fit.
Old 09-25-19, 12:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The only thing that blue bike shares in common with an R3 is that they're both bicycles. I bet it's hella smooth and stable-- after all, you've got the wheelbase of a compact car. The R3, not so much.

Old 09-25-19, 01:29 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Your build might not be an "endurance" fit, but minimizing saddle setback and using a long stem indicates that the frame itself is fairly slack and short for the build.

For example, my gravel bike, built from an old mountain bike with beach-cruiser-esque geometry:

On my "normal" road bikes I don't ride with my saddle pushed forward on a zero-offset post, but because the frame is so slack, I had to do that to achieve a road-like fit.
Since when was 110mm considered to be a long stem?
You need to consider body proportions with regard to fit and this "endurance geometry".
If you have longer than average legs like I do and obviously "Dr Isotope" does you may well need a tall stack height ("endurance") to get a "race fit".
A "race bike" is not really usable without bulk spacers, flipped up stems etc.
Old 09-26-19, 07:48 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
A "race bike" is not really usable without bulk spacers, flipped up stems etc.
Huh?