Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

when changing saddle...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

when changing saddle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 05:53 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
when changing saddle...

So I'm upgrading my saddle finally...is there a way I can make sure I get the same position back for the slide adjustment? are the measurement marks universal?
Old 10-08-15, 06:01 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No and no. I would compare the lengths of the two saddles. If they sre the same, put the nose of the new saddle just ehere the old saddle was. Then make corrections based on how you sit on it. You can measure your knee position relative to the pedal spindle and adjust the new saddle to give you the same. Or just by comfort. If the new saddle is longer or shorter than the old one, adjust the starting point of the nose by half the difference in front or behind the old saddle position. . Again follow up with fine tuning.

Good luck

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-08-15, 06:09 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
i generally measure the distance from the tops of my bars to the widest point on the saddle, seeing as thats where my ass likes to live but my saddles are all quite different in length/shape

was it you @rpenmanparker that detailed measuring your bikes with the back tire against the wall? that seemed like a good method
Old 10-09-15, 08:28 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No and no. I would compare the lengths of the two saddles. If they sre the same, put the nose of the new saddle just ehere the old saddle was. Then make corrections based on how you sit on it. You can measure your knee position relative to the pedal spindle and adjust the new saddle to give you the same. Or just by comfort. If the new saddle is longer or shorter than the old one, adjust the starting point of the nose by half the difference in front or behind the old saddle position. . Again foll.ow up with fine tuning.

Good luck
Agree. Also for height, measure the height of each saddle, and adjust the saddle height by the amount of the difference. If the new saddle is taller, lower the saddle, etc. since different saddles compress more than others, you may need to make small adjustments after riding it.
Old 10-09-15, 08:33 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Take a photo of the old setup from the side so you can approximate the tilt as well. Using a level is futile, since there aren't any flat areas on which to place one anyhow.
Old 10-09-15, 08:50 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Took me at least a 100 miles over a week to finally dial my fit back in when I got a new saddle this year.