Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Your Opinion: Polar Bottles?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-16-12, 05:27 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

I just bought two of these for my weekend trip after reading a bunch of glowing reviews. The REI salesperson told me I could expect to have cold water several hours into my 50-mile ride, which seemed ridiculous because I knew I'd already be on to my second or third refill by then. I decided to give them a shot anyway.

The bottom line? I'm not too impressed with the performance of these things at all. Essentially, they didn't seem to keep the water any colder than any five dollar bottle I've ever owned.

Has anybody else used these?
Old 07-16-12, 05:43 PM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They seem to be a good idea in theory. I too am not convinced they keep liquids cold much better than plain bottles. I think they may sweat less than a plain bottle.
The other problem I have with them is they don't seem to fit my favorite lids (the Camlebak lid with the twist opening). If I press too hard at just the right angle I get some leakage down my arm and onto my shirt. But it's worth it to use the better lid.
Old 07-16-12, 06:29 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I have "tested" my Polar bottles vs a regular bottle several times and found that the Polar bottles will keep your fluids colder a touch longer but only by a few minutes on a warm day.
Old 07-16-12, 07:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Hmmm. REI says they will take them back if I am not happy. Can anybody suggest an alternative that isn't $25 a bottle and isn't a magnet for thieves?
Old 07-16-12, 07:22 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I've had slightly better results. The key is to load up the insulated bottle with ice. You can either use lots of cubes, or you can fill it up 1/3 or 1/2 and stick it in the freezer overnight.

That said, hydration packs work significantly better than insulated bottles.
Old 07-16-12, 07:37 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
PT, I had them years ago. I gave them away to the kids, who thought they were great.

Brad
Old 07-16-12, 07:47 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Hmmm. REI says they will take them back if I am not happy. Can anybody suggest an alternative that isn't $25 a bottle and isn't a magnet for thieves?
Are bottles a magnet for thieves? I suspect if you want a magic bottle, you're going to pay for it. The cheap solution is to get used to drinking warm water. Not as refreshing, but just as hydrating. When I'm thirsty enough, the water temperature becomes less important, but still, a cold drink on a hot day can be extra refreshing if you can manage it.

I have a stainless steel, double-wall Camelback bottle. I don't know if you can find it in your price range, but if you can, it might fit the bill. After the first day of riding with it, my wife asked how it performed. I said I really didn't know, because I had kept it as a backup bottle and hadn't actually used it after filling it with ice and water before setting out. I then pulled the bottle out of the bottle cage and heard the ice clink inside. This was hours later, and maybe even the next morning. I was amazed. I never worry about it getting stolen, but then if I was concerned, I'd just take the bottle with me, which I often do anyway.

Things to keep in mind:
There's a plastic version. Cheaper, but not as good.
It does great at insulating, but it's not going to cool water you put in unless there's still ice in it.
Because it's double walled, it doesn't hold as much. Less so if you fill it with ice to cool down your next refill. Probably my biggest problem is that sometimes I put too much ice in it and not enough water. The ice doesn't melt fast enough, and I end up draining the bottle and only having ice left.
The second biggest problem is the number of times I've tried to track down the errant ping that my bike is making only to eventually figure out that it's the sound of ice cubes hitting the steel wall of the bottle. On a blazing hot day, my mind just doesn't go to "ice cubes" as a potential source of the noises I hear.
Old 07-16-12, 07:56 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I just bought two of these for my weekend trip after reading a bunch of glowing reviews. The REI salesperson told me I could expect to have cold water several hours into my 50-mile ride, which seemed ridiculous because I knew I'd already be on to my second or third refill by then. I decided to give them a shot anyway.

The bottom line? I'm not too impressed with the performance of these things at all. Essentially, they didn't seem to keep the water any colder than any five dollar bottle I've ever owned.

Has anybody else used these?
Crap product. I also gave mine away.
Old 07-16-12, 09:11 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
On a recent week-long tour I came to rely on my 16 oz. SS thermos. It doesn't hold as much as a waterbottle but if I filled it with coffee at a gas station the night before I had hot coffee the next morning. During the day I would fill it with cold drinks. I brought it along as an afterthought and was very glad I did.
Old 07-16-12, 11:17 PM
Yumadons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar bottles no good. Our tried-and-true Arizona bottles are stainless steel. My husband's is a Trek & was ~$25. Mine is a Starbucks found for free flying downhill into Dillon, MT. They're both too heavy to lift up to drink in the normal way, but work great with straws since they have little openings to drink coffee through. Did I mention they work for coffee too?
Old 07-17-12, 02:30 AM
DwarvenChef
Insane cycling cook

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In central CA it gets hot for long periods of time. Cooling at night to 90f at night on bad days Anyway we have these bottles for our rides and a full load of ice water lasts a few hours. Regular bottles are hot after 20 minutes. So for me they are worth it to have at least non-HOT water afte the first bottle is empty, when I get to the third bottle it's still not hot but not cold anymore. We have the larger sized bottles.
Old 07-17-12, 04:14 AM
choclabman

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do like Bacciagalupe and freeze one of the polar bottles and fill the other up with ice and 50/50 mixture gatorade and water. By the time I use the first bottle the second one has begun to melt and I have cold water for all of my ride and some left over when I finish.
Old 07-17-12, 05:02 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Any cheap bottle. House brands from Nashbar, Performance, or REI are fine. Fill with ice from convenience store or minimart beverage station (ask first).
Old 07-17-12, 05:04 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by choclabman
I do like Bacciagalupe and freeze one of the polar bottles and fill the other up with ice and 50/50 mixture gatorade and water. By the time I use the first bottle the second one has begun to melt and I have cold water for all of my ride and some left over when I finish.
Works great around home, but... Freezing a bottle is typically not an option that often when on tour.
Old 07-17-12, 05:31 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have "tested" the Polar bottles vs a standard bottle, and I found that indeed the Polar bottle keeps the liquid cooler longer. Not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable. I've switched to the Camelback insulated water bottles because I like their mouth piece better. They have about the same performance as the Polar, which again is better then a standard bottle.

That said, neither works as well a stainless steel insulated water bottle. I have a couple of HydroFlask SS water bottles and those things keep my beverage ice cold for hours and hours. I use them for my lemonade or Gatorade mixes, since I don't like putting those in a plastic bottle. My standard kit in the summer is 2 insulated plastic water bottles and a HydroFlask filled with something tasty.
Old 07-17-12, 06:21 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Insulated water bottles trade major volume for a very very modest gain in thermal effeciency. Personally I've found a far more effective approach is to freeze the bottles and contents solid overnight. Guaranteed four hours later they're still cold. I use two of those for backup, fill two others with water and crushed ice for immediate use and I'm good for most rides. Foe longer rides a Camelback in the freezer takes even linger to unthaw, and is cool but not cold on the back.

I've also found McDonalds and Tim Hortons to be great places to get refills of crushed ice. Their blueberry muffins are pretty good too.
Old 07-17-12, 06:44 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I've had slightly better results. The key is to load up the insulated bottle with ice. You can either use lots of cubes, or you can fill it up 1/3 or 1/2 and stick it in the freezer overnight.

That said, hydration packs work significantly better than insulated bottles.
This reflects my experiences. If I load a warm bottle with ice a refrigerated water, it will stay cold for one to two hours while riding. If I partially fill the bottle and freeze it overnight, it will stay cold for three hours. I rest the bottle on its side in the freezer, this makes it possible to still squeeze it when starting a ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-17-12, 07:03 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
This reflects my experiences. If I load a warm bottle with ice a refrigerated water, it will stay cold for one to two hours while riding. If I partially fill the bottle and freeze it overnight, it will stay cold for three hours. I rest the bottle on its side in the freezer, this makes it possible to still squeeze it when starting a ride.
I will try this.
Old 07-17-12, 07:06 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Polar bottles work well in the spring & fall, but in the summer its a challenge. Besides freezing a partial filled bottle on its side we also fill the bottles with ice cold water before we leave, there's no sense warming up your ice with warm water, it only hastens the melt. Another strategy is to drink one bottle at a time (4 on our tandem) this usually leaves just ice in one or two bottles and ice without water lasts along time (air is a great insulator, then add water to the ice from the other bottles. Also use the coldest ice/freezer you have, warm ice doesn't last as long.
Old 07-17-12, 07:19 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
"Real" Polar Bottles -

You want cold water anytime in your trip?
Provided you are not riding in Louisiana with 100% humidity -
Keep a wet sock around your water bottle.
Especially in the West, the western Southern Tier, etc. it works great.

It's the principle of evaporative cooling -
as long as the sock stays wet, the water stays cool.
And you get a full water bottle - not 6 oz. or whatever.
Old 07-17-12, 07:25 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
PS - I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wet sock yet.
Prior to refrigeration - i.e. for most of human history -
It was the only way to cool water.
That's why Depression photos of old Model Ts
often show a canvas canteen strapped to the front.
Also, old boy scout canvas canteens.

Technology is a great thing -
but for cyclists, the traditional method works best.
Of course, 99% of people can just fill a cooler with ice -
But we can't.
Old 07-17-12, 07:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
It's the principle of evaporative cooling -
as long as the sock stays wet, the water stays cool.
And you get a full water bottle - not 6 oz. or whatever.
now there you go, thinking outside the box. Ive used the "wet towel" trick for stuff in a car,but I never thought of the idea for a bike water bottle--thanks, great tip.
Old 07-17-12, 07:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
I like the loop on the mouth of the Polar bottles, but I like the flexibility and valve of the Camelbak Podium Big Chill so much better that I almost never use my Polar bottles anymore. Have been thinking about trying SS at some point.

Old 07-17-12, 08:00 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Camelbak Ice bottles have more insulation than the Big Chill bottle. But it appears they are no longer available.

I like mine. If I fill it with ice cubes, and top off with water, I'll have a little ice left after 45 minutes when it's 90 outside.
But they only hold 21 ounces.

I got a 16 ounce Aladdin vacuum insulated bottle from Target. I don't use it on a bike, though, it's too small. And the ice cubes clank against the stainless steel liner.

With about 6 ice cubes, it still has ice left when wrapped in a towel and left in the hot car on a 90 degree day for more than 3 hours. Or coffee stays really hot for hours. it won't leak when laid on it side.

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-17-12 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 08:13 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Does anyone know if this one will fit in a bottle cage?

https://www.rei.com/product/830406/ca...ottle-20-fl-oz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.