Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Short bike-chase-bear story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 11:40 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

https://familyonbikes.org/blog/2011/09/chased-by-a-bear/
Old 11-21-11, 12:00 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lived about a mile from the Toiyabe National Forest for more than 30 years, and I've never seen a bear in my yard (we have seen a few in the NF). This year Nevada introduced a bear hunting season, ostensibly to "control damage" done by bears to, well, garbage cans and dumpsters. Wildlife biologists agree the season will have no effect, but, well, politics...
So two days after the season opened, a mess o' bears just sauntered down into the wildland-urban interface and pretty much took up housekeeping. I came home last night about dark, went to the back yard to get the dog and walked around front. Strolling right up the walk toward my front door was a BIG bear. I've done some stories on trapping and moving bears with the state Dept of Wildlife, and I'd guess this one was at least 300 pounds, maybe 400. But I'll grant they look bigger at night and by surprise.
Old 11-21-11, 01:29 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am suprized, nay amazed, that a person would be foolish enough to be cycling through the wild without some manner of firearm for protection. Hiker, biker, whatever..you don't go to the wilds w/o some manner of protection. One shot into the air from a .22 and bear would have gladly put a BUNCH of space between them. Poor planning can often result in a funeral and they were lucky.
Old 11-22-11, 07:04 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Holy Mother of God! I exclaimed quietly. "He's coming this way. Bears aren't supposed to come toward people."
Sorry to burst the bubble there, but bears WILL do just that. They are trying to figure out whether or not you are a threat. At least they got the leaving part right.
Old 11-22-11, 08:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
1) You do all know that nancysv (who's article that is) posts here ... usually in the touring forum? You can ask her personally about the bear encounter there.

2) I also presume the person who foolishly suggested a firearm knows that the encounter took place in Canada, quite possibly in a provincial or national park where firearms are banned

3) Personally, I have encountered many bears in Canada, and I would never have stopped that close to one to take a picture. It's just a bear ... keep cycling.