Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Input on racks for my office

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 12:58 PM
pelikan
Two wheels is two wheels

Bikes: Pee Wee Herman Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So at my work we have roughly between 2-5 people a day who all bring their bikes and stack them up against each other in this little area. The problem is that the area is a staging area for garbage and old computers, so it's not uncommon to have the bikes moved around to other locations. Plus the first ones in usually have to dig their bikes out from other bikes. So I approached the office manager about a rack solution, and she preferred one that took advantage of the vertical space, since the floor space is multi-use.

The space is about the the length of a bike sideways and about 4' wide. The roof is about two stories high, so that kinda kills any pulley system. I was thinking just vertical wall hangars, but that seems like it would leave dirt all over the walls. Anybody know of any good solutions/products for this kinda storage?
Old 09-21-05, 01:21 PM
jbone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the wall hangers would be just fine. You won't get too much dirt all over the walls. But since she is working with you for a solution then maybe you could take a few minutes each day to clean any dirt off the wall.
Old 09-21-05, 01:22 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like the idea of the vertical wall hangers.

Since the space is to be used for bicycle storage, I would deal with any possible dirt on the walls by installing some sort of washable panel.

The only reason I would avoid wall hangers is that I know at least one small rider that doesn't have the upper body strength to be comfortable with that type of configuration. But unless you have someone like that, I think any other issues can be overcome.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-21-05, 01:39 PM
jdtschida

Bikes: few too many...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check what the wall frame is made out of first. If it's an office building, it may have steel framing instead of wood, and your wall hangers might not work at all.
Old 09-21-05, 01:41 PM
the sloth
<3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6600

something like that doesn't seem like it would touch the wall, but i'm not sure it would make the best use of space.
Old 09-21-05, 03:36 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If you are worried (or the boss )about the wall, you can buy a 4 x 8 sheet of plexiglass to protect the wall.

I put some Plexiglass in a closet at home, for the family to throw shoes in and not have to worry about scuff marks all the time... It should work also to protect the wall and you can see right thru the stuff...

just my .02