Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Connex link and Shimano 105

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Connex link and Shimano 105

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 06:44 AM
jdtschida

Bikes: few too many...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night I was swapping out a good chunk of my Ultegra parts for 105 on my soon-to-be TT bike (Ultegra parts will go on my new road frame) and I came across an interesting problem that I wanted to run by the folks here.

So I have a 105 rear derailleur (RD-5501-SS-L), 9-speed Ultegra 11-23 cassette, and a HG92 chain with a Connex Link 9speed link. The cassette and chain are used, but not showing much wear. When on the 11 tooth cog and pedaling hard on the trainer, every time the connex link comes over the cassette it seems to catch or skip on something. I have tried playing with the B-tension screw thinking the derailleur was too close to the cassette, but that doesn't help. It doesn't skip on any of the other cogs.

Strangely, I don't recall having this problem with my Ultegra rear derailleur. The Connex Link is new to me though, only had it for a couple weeks, and I rarely run on the 11 tooth cog in back, so it could likely be that I just never tried it until now. I bought a new 12-25 cassette for the new road bike, so we'll see if that makes a difference, but it will be a while before I get that bike setup. Still need some parts.

Does anyone have any idea what could really be going on? Can it really be that the Connex Link just doesn't like going over an 11 tooth cog?

thanks.
-Josh

edit: I may have answered my own question here with a quick search. It seems that the connex link can in fact be installed incorrectly. I will try tonight. I'm still interested in hearing any other ideas though.
link I found the info in.
Old 09-23-05, 07:00 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The connex link can cause peoblems like that if installed upside down.
Old 09-23-05, 07:05 AM
jdtschida

Bikes: few too many...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
The connex link can cause peoblems like that if installed upside down.
Yep, that's what I found in the link I edited into my post. Hope that's all it is, but if that is the problem, I'll feel a little dumb.