Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shoe keeps unclipping, can't figure out why.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 10:58 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have some Sidi mtb. shoes that I've had for years, no issues using them on my cross bike. Last week I replace the lugs because they were really worn down. Went for a ride last night...my foot just kept on popping out of my left pedal. Didn't change the pedals, didn't change the cleats...all I did was replace the lugs.

These shoes worked perfectly fine with these pedals and cleats last week, now I can clip in, but even if I make sure to not rotate my heel at all an initiate and unclipping...shoe pops right off the pedal. I almost crashed a few times because of it!

Sidi mtb shoes
Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals
Crank Brothers cleats

Again, if it just started randomly happened...I'd guess it was a worn cleat. Or a broken pedal. But I highly, highly doubt the cleat or pedal magically wore out at the same time I replaced the lugs. And, if I needed a shim, which I think they make for deeply recessed cleats...why am I only unclipping on the left pedal? I guess the left cleat or pedal could be worn more than the right?

I mashed my foot onto the pedal as hard as I could, then made sure not to rotate my heel...but when the crank arm would pass at the about 2 o'clock position...I could just feel the pedal "coughing" the cleat out. Like it would just loose tension and let go of the cleat.

Any ideas or experience with this? Thank you!
Old 06-29-20, 11:00 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Maybe the new lugs are defective or incorrect.
Old 06-29-20, 11:09 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm, they're Sidi made and they're the right set for this model of shoe.

Only odd thing...a few of the screws will absolutely not seat and tighten into the "female" piece in the shoe sole. They just freely spin, no matter how much I turn them. Head mechanic at my shop suggested pulling the insoles and trying to hold the female part in place...but when I took out the insoles, it's just a smooth cardboard-y like base.
Old 06-29-20, 11:40 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Try comparing the new lugs with the old if you still have them. Having loose screws might also be contributing to the problem.
Old 06-29-20, 12:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
I have some Sidi mtb. shoes that I've had for years, ...
First thought - worn cleat. You changed something, now that worn cleat is showing its age. I'd replace the cleats just because and go from there. Cleats are consumables. Years? They've done their work.
Old 06-29-20, 12:38 PM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, this makes sense...changing the lugs has exposed a worn out cleat. This likely is the issue. Cleats are definitely not new, and yeah, they're only a few bucks so worth just replacing. I probably already have some in my tool box.

Thank you! (I'll now say a prayer the cleats come off easily!!)

Hadn't ridden all weekend, fit in a late Sunday cross-cruise around to a few different traiils...and then kept on nearly crashing when my foot would pop out an unusual times. Less than ideal to say the least!!