Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Surly Troll/Rohloff value

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 08:29 PM
Canoehead Tim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Troll/Rohloff value

Greetings all, and thanks for your consideration.

About 10-12 years ago I bought all the "best" (in my somewhat uneducated opinion) parts for what I wanted to be the most durable, long-lasting commuter bike. I had a local bike shop put them together.
The Rohloff Speedhub (non disc) and SON28 dynamo were built around Rigida Andra 30 wheels with some sort of special rim coating to work with fancy brake pads (XT rim brakes). I have S+B lights front and back, and a nice Abus rack. All on a small Surly Troll frame.
I used the bike regularly for about 8 summers as a commuter. It was never abused and the hub got fresh oil regularly. It does have lots of scuffs and clearly shows wear as a used bike, but everything still works well and I'm thinking it still is worth something. All told, I think I paid over $5000 (Canadian Dollars) for everything, but my work has moved and I don't need this bike anymore.
I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Thoughts on a fair price?
Thanks again!
Old 03-03-24, 05:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Canoehead Tim
Greetings all, and thanks for your consideration.

About 10-12 years ago I bought all the "best" (in my somewhat uneducated opinion) parts for what I wanted to be the most durable, long-lasting commuter bike. I had a local bike shop put them together.
The Rohloff Speedhub (non disc) and SON28 dynamo were built around Rigida Andra 30 wheels with some sort of special rim coating to work with fancy brake pads (XT rim brakes). I have S+B lights front and back, and a nice Abus rack. All on a small Surly Troll frame.
I used the bike regularly for about 8 summers as a commuter. It was never abused and the hub got fresh oil regularly. It does have lots of scuffs and clearly shows wear as a used bike, but everything still works well and I'm thinking it still is worth something. All told, I think I paid over $5000 (Canadian Dollars) for everything, but my work has moved and I don't need this bike anymore.
I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Thoughts on a fair price?
Thanks again!
Good MOrning and welcome to the forums. I can't really telly ou a price for something so esoteric but it likley won't be as much you would like. Do you hasve any pics? If you upload them into your albums we can see them and someone will likely share them to this thread

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-03-24, 06:43 AM
Canoehead Tim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. l don't think l am allowed to post pictures just yet, unfortunately. As for my expectations, l am not sure l have any. If it turns out that it is worth more to others than to me, l will sell it. Put another way, if I asked for $1000CAD, would that be unreasonably high, unreasonably low, or about right?
Old 03-03-24, 07:29 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Thanks. l don't think l am allowed to post pictures just yet, unfortunately. As for my expectations, l am not sure l have any. If it turns out that it is worth more to others than to me, l will sell it. Put another way, if I asked for $1000CAD, would that be unreasonably high, unreasonably low, or about right?
The bike in question is not really C&V, but still grand. I'm not sure which lights you mean by S&B, but the Son dynamo hub and Rohloff are pricy bits of premium kit. I'd imagine that (assuming it's in good shape -- you can post photos in your gallery and let folks here know they're there, and they'll be reposted, or just get to 10 posts and then post photos) if you listed it for CAD $1000 you'd sell it very quickly (if willing to ship you'll absolutely sell it quickly for that). I'd say somewhere at the CAD 2500 range is a good place to start, looking for at least CAD 2000 -- it won't be a large market, but parting it out is always an option if you don't find a buyer -- the wheel set alone should be worth at least CAD 1000 with shifter and lights....
Old 03-03-24, 10:22 AM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
My LBS has had several nearly identical builds in conditions that match your description come in on consignment and sit for months till the owner either takes it back home to part out on eBay or settles for an offer around your current asking asking price.

If you live way out in the boonies farther than anyone would want to drive, you may have to go even lower on price if listing on kijiji or cl to get someone to come take it off your hands, but if you’re willing to take care of shipping & also make it available to ship to the US you may find it being able to fetch closer to $1,500USD total from the buyer’s wallet if you stick it on eBay in its complete state.

You might be able to slowly send closer to $2,500 to your wallet if you strip it down entirely including unlacing the wheels and removing the headset cups to eBay off each individual component.

If just selling it locally, I’d list it at $1,200CAD as a courtesy to allow the buyer the fun of having haggled me down to $1,000.
Old 03-03-24, 12:14 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Definitely premium (for the time) parts, and I'm sure it's a great ride. Unfortunately, you're not going to get anywhere near what you put into it back. As suggested above, all together, you'll probably get $1k out of it if you sell it together (and it might take a while depending on your market. Might get more from parting it out, but I don't know what the current move to disk brakes for everything new has done to the market.

Old 03-03-24, 04:28 PM
Canoehead Tim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to all who replied. I'm thinking $1000 is acceptable to me, so when the weather turns I'll get it out of the basement, dust it off, take the pictures, and ignore people on Kijiji offering me $200!

As one might infer from my handle, I'm big into canoes and it annoys me when people ask more-than-new prices for old junk, and I feel sorry for those who ask next-to-nothing for super valuable things. I appreciate your opinions/advice and wish you all safe travels!