Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is anybody riding three-speeds?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is anybody riding three-speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 09:34 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember when I started bicycle commuting and bicycle collecting about fifteen years ago, I was in love with old three speeds. I had Raleigh, Robin Hood, Hercules, Schwinn, Huffy - tons of three speeds all with their own characters.

They were so smooth and so comfortable and so practicle and so reliable. The 26" X 1 3/8" wheel base and the upright postion with a spring saddle really made for a pleasant, effortless riding experience. They were actually pretty fast too. They used to call the old three-speed bicycles "English Racers".

Somehow, they have all been sold and I don't have even one three-speed now. Interestingly, I rarely see them either.

How about you folks? Is anybody still riding three-speed internal hubs? I mean RIDING them - not just parking them in your garage.
Old 09-07-05, 09:38 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Mike, I will be soon - though it will be more of a utilitarian vehicle. The old 3-speed, Raleigh Superbe will be back on the road as a light-duty grocery hauler in less than a week. It won't displace my lightweight derailleur-equipped bicycles as my "rider of choice" though.
Old 09-07-05, 10:12 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode a red Schwinn Speedster in the mid '70's. If I lived in town, I'd love to have it back.
Old 09-07-05, 10:37 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
In the early 80's I commuted to grad school & work on my 3 speed Raleigh Sports, its slightly sprung Brooks B72 was the most comfortable saddle ever. Unfortunately its long gone. I did have a Schwinn Speedster a few years ago but shipped it off to my grandkids in Tennessee.
Old 09-08-05, 03:32 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a lot of you fellows used the three speed for a utalitarian bike. Coincidently, I did the same. Most of mine had some kind of basket on it - either the wire side-saddle or milk crates lashed to the rear carrier.

I ended up selling my three-speeds during the Great Garage Clean-out in 2003 when my wife made me thin out most of my 76 bicycles.
Old 09-08-05, 07:35 AM
oldy57

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still ride my 3 speed Eatons Glider and a 4 speed also. I enjoy them as much as any of my other bikes. I am restoring another this winter. Have a look at these Minneapolis bike rides. www.3speedtour.com www.abcetour.com The ABCE is on next weekend. It sounds like a great weekend. I may go but it is a little far for me, 500 miles.
Old 09-08-05, 11:00 AM
hibit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every day.
I guess you've never visited the Netherlands (: I think a third of the bikes I see here are 3-speeds.
Old 09-08-05, 11:33 AM
ko57

Bikes: Schwinn Skyliner (step thru), Hercules 3spd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking at a 3 speed on eBay right now-keeping it to myself, I want to win that baby. Should I be the lucky lady who wins it I'll definitely ride it, hopefully as a commuter now and then.
I've always found that leaning forward with the 10 speeds I'd riden or my present mtn bike to be awkward. I like the nostalgia of these bikes and the quality of their build. My brother had a 3 speed bike with front & rear racks, S/A hub, headlight, I believe it was all chrome. He kept it clean and well maintained. I'll have to ask him the brand, not sure if it was a Schwinn-didn't look like any I've seen.

Keeping my fingers crossed, will post a thread and pic if I win...

Regards,
ko57
Old 09-08-05, 12:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
As a UCLA undergrad and later as a grad student, I rode a Hercules 3-speed with one of those great Cyclo 4-cog hybrid gear conversions. I scrapped the Cyclo clockspring derailleur in favor of an early Campag. Gran Sport and had a great 12-speed transmission, the equivalent of 53-40-30 / 14-16-18-20. I finally gave the bike to a friend, but still occasionally miss it.

For about two years, I ran my first Bianchi 10-speed as a 3-speed coaster with friction downtube shifting, which worked very well and gave me a handy neutral position for crank positioning at stoplights.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-08-05, 12:41 PM
bobn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the mid to late 50's I had a black 26" Hercules 3 spd with a Hercumatic trigger shift-I woke up Christmas morning as a kid and there she was-We were inseperable until I got my junior drivers license-Sure wish I had it now-I would ride with pride!!
Old 09-08-05, 03:37 PM
bidaci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Panasonic Sport LX that I stripped down and installed a Shimnao 3 speed rear wheel with a coaster brake and bullhorn bars. I put the shifter behind the rear seat on the seat stays so it looks more like a fixie. I use it as an errrand/play bike.
Old 09-08-05, 06:24 PM
FlatTop
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
My favorite flavor of bike. Ride everything from light roadsters to cantilevers to big honkin' heavy Columbias converted to Shimano 3 speed. Sturmey-Archer or Shimano, but can't find any Torpedo or other Euro hubs. Always on the lookout for 3-speed coasters as well.
Old 09-09-05, 04:30 PM
meatwad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<< Is anybody still riding three-speed internal hubs? I mean RIDING them - not just parking them in your garage.>>

Here's mine. Le tour IV with Austrian Sears crankset.
Old 09-09-05, 05:38 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by meatwad
<< Is anybody still riding three-speed internal hubs? I mean RIDING them - not just parking them in your garage.>>

Here's mine. Le tour IV with Austrian Sears crankset.
HA! Brilliant! Did you have to lace the hub onto a 27" rim?

Hey, did you spend any time looking at the old Austrian Sears 3-speeds? They were really well-made machines.
Old 09-09-05, 05:50 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Threw an afternoon newspaper 2X a week after school from a Huffy with a S-A hub. Wanted a 10 speed but that was and still is the only bike I've ever been paid money to ride.

Old 09-09-05, 07:19 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My frankenbike has a 3-speed coaster brake hub. I love it, especially for pubcrawl duty.
Old 09-10-05, 02:31 AM
meatwad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mike]HA! Brilliant! Did you have to lace the hub onto a 27" rim?

Hey thanks. The wheel was off a strange Sekai girls bike. 27 aluminum araya. realtively bolt on. Now I've got a club bike.

<<<Hey, did you spend any time looking at the old Austrian Sears 3-speeds? They were really well-made machines.>>

Yeah nice craftmanship and very good quality metals. The one I have (that the cranks came from) has been molested even more than the schwinn. It's a single speed cantilever style but made by the same company.
Old 09-10-05, 12:18 PM
Flaneur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a chain store step-through with a shimano hub for local visits and errands in the town where I work. It lives chained up outdoors, so has to be simple, tough, reliable and unobtrusive. Steel cranks and bars, chainguard, rubber block pedals, bell. I only replaced the crappy steel brake calipers with some Weinmann ones and put on soft shoes for acceptable braking on steel rims.

The hub has threading for a single freewheel, which is a sensible touch. Seems a little sensitive to adjust, compared to the Sturmey-Archers I know better.

I'm also restoring an old postman's Pashley, a long, slack angled loper, with Sturmey drum brakes front and back and a three speed rear. Lots of fun, in a stately way.

There's something to be said for throwback cycling, where a bike has no status connotations and is of so little value to potential thieves that I don't worry about it's safety, when I leave it someplace.
Old 09-10-05, 02:10 PM
takara14
Index, Schmindex!

Location: On the border between the Space and Treasure Coasts of FLA.

Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Takara,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took a closer look at my parents' bikes in preparation for deciding their fate. Both are Columbia three speeds from the 70s but are distinct models with differing features. Dad's is a brown "Tourist" with brown fenders and steel brakes. Mom's is a blue "Sports III" with matching blue fenders and Dia-Compe alloy brakes. Both have typical Columbia frames and cranks. Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hubs and trigger shifters on both. Are these the same bike, differing by year of production, or two seperate models in the Columbia heirarchy?
Old 09-10-05, 05:40 PM
jfz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rain bike used for my 20 mile round trip commute is a 3-speed (shimano) Schwinn girls bike I was given for free. I also have a mint condition AMC Hercules 3-speed from 1971, a 1969 Hercules that needs a bunch of work and a box full of Sturmey Archer parts to keep them running as long as I will need them. I still think the 3-speed English bikes are the best for commuting and shopping-wish someone would bring em back.
Old 09-10-05, 06:57 PM
v1nce

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do! Both a SA and a Shimano. Hub Gears Uver Alles!! Two days ago i did 50 Kilometers on my three speed folder, with no difficulty.

Also, as i write on my long as$ page about my Tank Bike (https://www.rhizomes.nl/ultimatebike.html)

"The back rim i bought and then i laced in some amazing spokes (a gift from Grima) and a three speed, freewheel Sturmey Archer Hub.

Both my 'Mavic' rims are of the reinforced double walled aluminum variety and have with double nickel plated brass eyelet's to reinforce the spoke holes.
They were actually designed for downhill mountain biking and in this case the extreme strength and design doesn't mean they are heavy."

I like the idea of mixing the time tested bomb proof design of SA hubs with modern, light and strong as heck rims and spokes. Good stuff. I don't mind derallieur but haven't truly needed them as such yet. Maybe if i become a tourer type rider, though i'd rather have a a 8 or 14 speed hub in this unlikely event actually...
Old 09-10-05, 08:32 PM
dafydd
JRA...

Bikes: trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they make great short-range commuter bikes. i ride one every day (3-speed international, top), own two other roadsters, and a rudge club bike project. i switched the v-brake levers to CLBs and added some Honjo fenders at the start of the summer, which has made it more pleasurable in the rain and more blingy in any sort of weather. it weighs about 21-22 lbs now, and plan to shave off a bit more with a super record headset, some innocuous Ti parts, and possibly braze-on fittings, plus hopefully a front dynohub with internal wiring. it's a nice mix of vanity and practicality.

the first bike that got me into cycling is a early 70s green Raleigh Sports, which is in semi-retirement. it currently has alloy wheels, but eventually i'll put the originals on. my humber is also on the link above, as well as a folder i no longer have.
Old 09-11-05, 10:07 PM
simontemplar

Bikes: giant ocr3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad won't ride any bike that has a derailleur, so all his are 3 spd internal hubs. At the moment he has a 1971 Peugeot UO8 that he converted to shimano nexus 3 spd, a Biria 3spd and a converted Huffy beachcruiser. The shimano nexus is ideal because it shifts so perfectly and smoothly. But I make do with an old Sturmey Archer on my 1964 Puch tourer. I like to do things the old fashioned way, if it the old fashioned way doesn't work.
Old 09-12-05, 04:06 AM
charlcilliers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cycle many of the 3 speeds in my collection. I completed the 109km 2005 Argus cycle tour www.cycletour.co.za on a 1962 Achilles 3 speed bicycle. See pics on my website www.oldbikes.741.com.

Next year I will be cycling the Argus (my tenth tour) on my 1953 Rudge-Whitworth and a friend will be on the Achilles. We will be raising money for our local (Stellenbosch, Sout Africa) animal welfare society.

Regards

Charl Cilliers
Old 09-12-05, 06:44 AM
CitiZen
3speed

Bikes: Breezer Citizen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
< shoving my way to the front >
Stand aside, stand aside! I ride the one of the best of the new three-speeds; the Breezer Citizen.
https://www.mikesbike.com/images/citizenu.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.