Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Building a Bike - Zinn ain't doing it

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 05:40 PM
baycat
Superlight Noob

Bikes: Santa Cruz Superlight, Santa Cruz Nomad, Yeti 575

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been patient, utilized the Art of Zinn thoroughly (great book!) and tried to build up my bike to no wonderful avail. Full susser and I had a bike shop put the fork, headset and crankset in. But I am going to do the rest and would really like to find someone who can actually show me step-by-step how to build up this bike, I am much better visual learner, esepcially when I watch someone.

So does anyone know a shop/person/anything that can help me build up my bike, hydraulic brakes to running cables to installing shifters, in the Bay Area and show me the process? We can call it gentle hand holding for mechanically deficient wannabe bike builders!

Reply to this thread or better yet PM me, thanks!
Old 09-26-05, 06:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Have you talked to the guys at the shop that did the work so far? They would be good ones to solicit for advice and individual attention. Maybe over a pizza and beer after hours.
Old 09-26-05, 10:26 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
isn't there a co-op in SF? maybe ask in the fixed forum if there is a repair co-op that can help you out. just don't tell them it is for a geard ride, and they'll be nice
Old 09-27-05, 11:17 AM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timing might be an issue, but in my area (New England) some of the LBS'es give classes that are broadly sponsored by Park Tools (usually over Fall-Winter time frame). There are two courses: one is a couple of evenings and includes minor adjustments, changing flats, things like that. The other is two full back-to-back Saturdays that is more intensive.

I took the simple class last year, and it was good at building my confidence in doing minor stuff. I'm also thinking of doing a "build-up" this winter, so I will probably do the more intensive class. The class quality relies a lot on who teaches it, as the curriculum is not real detailed.

Another approach might be to find a local club which has just the mentor that you seek.
Old 09-27-05, 02:17 PM
jdtschida

Bikes: few too many...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need a visual look at how it works, why not set another working bike up next to the one you are building and compare them as you go?