Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Staying on the pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Staying on the pedals

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 10:34 PM
dstacyh

Bikes: Giant OCR 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Staying on the pedals

I have a set of Look pedals, I like them but have two questions:

1. When I am in the pedals there is some play where I can move my foot around a little in both pedals. Is that normal? I can get out of the pedals decent most of the time.

2. If I am getting ready to stop or think I may have to stop I come out of my pedal and try to pedal a little with out being clipped in. But I can never get a good position where I will not slip off of the pedal.
Is this just something you have to deal with or it is specific to this type of pedal.

Thanks.

Stacy
2004 Giant OCR 3
Old 09-26-05, 10:40 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. thats called the float - varies depending on pedal systems and pedal setup
2. stay on pedal when youre moving, get out of pedal when you stop. problem solved. or, get mountain clipless setup
Old 09-27-05, 02:21 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a habit of always popping the left foot out...my right foot is my strong foot so if I pop out and need to get a stroke in, I'm good. by always popping my left foot out, its trained to pop out and get in without any thought.
Old 09-27-05, 06:09 AM
jdtschida

Bikes: few too many...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stacy, not sure what model you have, but the LOOK PP396 has a float adjuster to make it so your foot can move less. I don't notice it doing much, but it's supposed to...

My girlfriend trys to pedal while not clipped in because she gets nervous at slower speeds, just like you describe, and it doesn't work well. She sometimes gets stuck in the pedals though, too stiff for her, and they can't be adjusted any lighter. I have no problem on her pedals though. Anyway, if that's why you also try to do it, then you might try to lower the release tension so you can get out of the pedals easier. Just make sure they aren't too loose or you will pull out while sprinting hard... bad news...
Old 09-27-05, 06:46 AM
turkdc

Bikes: Giant NRS2, C'dale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Look makes cleats that have no float. They are black instead of the red ones that usually come with their pedals.
Old 09-27-05, 07:48 AM
dahc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstacyh
I have a set of Look pedals, I like them but have two questions:

2. If I am getting ready to stop or think I may have to stop I come out of my pedal and try to pedal a little with out being clipped in. But I can never get a good position where I will not slip off of the pedal.
Is this just something you have to deal with or it is specific to this type of pedal.
It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but take the time to learn how to track stand.

https://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_trackstand.asp

Very handy once you get it.