Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

As an avid biker... are you an avid runner?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 07:49 PM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've shed 35lbs since March doing both, and I'm really loving this way of life... Do anyone else run religiously as well?
Old 07-06-10, 08:13 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35 pounds? Wow. Nice job!

I can't run to save my life. Well, I can sprint like a scalded cat, but distance running... Forget it. It's not for lack of trying. I can run a mile, maybe a bit more, and I just have to stop because it's so uncomfortable. I can ride a bicycle for hours. I'm a Hasher, but I can never run an entire trail.
Old 07-06-10, 08:16 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate running.
Old 07-06-10, 08:19 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. I love running.
Love cycling more but still..

Running helps my riding. Riding doesn't help my riding nearly as much.
I am trying to train for a half marathon in fall and maybe a duatholon.
I am bored of cycling events except for club rides.
Old 07-06-10, 08:39 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I try to jog a mile or two every week or so. In June I ran a 5k with some of my family. 28 minutes (1 minute quicker than last year!) and my legs hurt for the next two days! I really should do it more.
Old 07-06-10, 08:41 PM
jmeriwether

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro, 2020 Surly Midnight Special, 2004 Cannondale Flash 29, 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a Jarhead I have to run and I like being faster than the students I teach. I run an average of 25 miles a week, give or take a few miles. But that is only commuting one day a week, for now.
Old 07-06-10, 08:44 PM
jayvo86

Bikes: '06 Trek 1000, '09 Gary Fisher Supercaliber, '10 Trek XO2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AF keeps me running even though my cycling to running ratio is probably 15:1. I really need to get the shoes on again and go. PT test is coming up soon.
Old 07-06-10, 08:54 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I used to run but it is hard on your body. Had to quit because it was destroying my feet. Cycling is much easier on your body as long as you don't crash and your bike fits you right.
Old 07-06-10, 09:00 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I completely disagree with you. Unfortunately, my feet are killing me due to a crappy pair of shoes and I can not afford new ones this month. I suppose you could have something there even though running is what the human body is designed for (supposedly).
Old 07-06-10, 09:49 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to run sometimes.. but then I bought my bike.
Old 07-06-10, 11:00 PM
jon70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to run then arthritis in my knees and a ankle left me limping. Switched back to the bike after and I just don't have the pain.
Old 07-06-10, 11:42 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I completely disagree with you. Unfortunately, my feet are killing me due to a crappy pair of shoes and I can not afford new ones this month. I suppose you could have something there even though running is what the human body is designed for (supposedly).
Some recent research has shown that modern running shoes may actually inhibit the foot's natural ability to absorb impact and that running barefoot has lots of benefits. Not to miss a marketing opportunity Nike has introduced a line of shoes designed to mimic barefoot running while still providing some cushioning. The shoes are called Nike "Free".

I used to be a distance runner but I'm not into that as much anymore. I still run though. If you put in a lot of hard miles on a bike you should mix it up with some weight bearing exercise like running, higher impact aerobics, or strength training. High mileage cyclists are at risk for losses in bone density and need weight bearing exercise to compensate.
Old 07-07-10, 05:00 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. Running is boooooring.
Old 07-07-10, 05:20 AM
bwhite829

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love to run...but 2 knee surgeries and pretty bad arthritis keeps me from running distance....i can sprint while playing racquetball and ulti no problem, but for some reason, distance running is just painful.
Old 07-07-10, 05:28 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I hate running, got bad knees. And I can't run fast enough to stay cool.
Old 07-07-10, 05:43 AM
John Coloccia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can run about 1/2 a mile before my knees are howling at me. Here's something I noticed riding the trails around here:

Whenever I pass anyone on a bike, I smile at them and they smile back. Sometimes they even say "Hi", or "Hey". They seem genuinely happy. Whenever I pass someone jogging, I smile at them and they're totally deadpan. In fact, they seem utterly miserable. Just an observation
Old 07-07-10, 05:44 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate running. I used to do it quite a bit in college... I hated it the entire time. But it helped me achieve my weight loss goals.

That's why I don't ride very fast.. I keep a nice steady pace and I enjoy it. If I try to go fast, it's just miserable for me.
Old 07-07-10, 06:01 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was never much of a runner... I certainly don't find any pleasure in it.
Old 07-07-10, 06:50 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Some recent research has shown that modern running shoes may actually inhibit the foot's natural ability to absorb impact and that running barefoot has lots of benefits. Not to miss a marketing opportunity Nike has introduced a line of shoes designed to mimic barefoot running while still providing some cushioning. The shoes are called Nike "Free".

I used to be a distance runner but I'm not into that as much anymore. I still run though. If you put in a lot of hard miles on a bike you should mix it up with some weight bearing exercise like running, higher impact aerobics, or strength training. High mileage cyclists are at risk for losses in bone density and need weight bearing exercise to compensate.
I have read that as well. Weight bearing exercises have benefits especially as you age.
I believe my issue is plantar fasciitis. At least that is treatable.
Only cycling is moronic.
Old 07-07-10, 07:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Can't stand running... all that bouncing around, plus the foot pain and shin splints. Forget it. I swim.

I once did a running race against a friend who was an avid runner... the challenge was "who was in better shape... the cyclist or the runner."

This was a 10K run, and I beat him, but afterward I couldn't walk well, due to the pain, for several days. Aerobically I was in better shape, but I could not stand the pounding.

Last edited by genec; 07-07-10 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 07:35 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is normal when cyclists try to run. Running a mile was more difficult on my body than riding 100 when I started.
They compliment each other quite well when you get down to it. Many of my cycling friends also run.
Old 07-07-10, 07:55 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know running is good exercise, and I assume it could be fun if I were any good at it, and I am sure that it's a good complement to cycling as a form of exercise. But I don't enjoy it at all. So, I don't do it.

I don't mind running when there's a point to it. Like as PART of a sport. I played high school tennis and didn't mind running around the court to chase down balls for hours. Running laps before or after practice, though, just seemed boring and pointless.

And cycling, of course, was fun even when I was in much worse shape and just starting to ride again w/ any regularity really since when I was a teenager.

Different strokes for different folks and all that good stuff...
Old 07-07-10, 07:56 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Can't stand running... all that bouncing around, plus the foot pain and shin splints. Forget it. I swim.

I once did a running race against a friend who was an avid runner... the challenge was "who was in better shape... the cyclist or the runner."

This was a 10K run, and I beat him, but afterward I couldn't walk well, due to the pain, for several days. Aerobically I was in better shape, but I could not stand the pounding.
How much running did you do before the race? If a runner were to hop on a bike and do 20 hard miles I'm sure they'd be walking funny for a few days too.

Some folks aren't built well for running but for lots of people it's a matter of the right pair of shoes (or no shoes) and not trying to do too much too soon. Proper warmup and stretching can help stave off injury as well.

I never cared for distance running at all until I got to college. I'm not sure how I even got into it but I quickly learned that if I started dozing off while studying that I could go for a quick run and then be wide awake for another couple of hours. Like cycling it's a great way to clear your head. Unlike cycling it's easy to do while traveling. All you need is a pair of shoes.

Last edited by tjspiel; 07-07-10 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:03 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Swimming, volleyball, and many other sports are good workouts.
It is merely my humble opinion that someone who sticks to just to cycling isn't going to be as fit as someone who cross trains.
But if fitness isn't your goal it really doesn't matter. I do think it is telling that cycling has so many overweight folks on bikes. It is a good non impact form of exercise.
Old 07-07-10, 08:16 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there's any activity that people voluntarily engage in which is less appealing to me than running. I'm not a person who can be bothered with exercise for the sake of exercise (and competition is a guaranteed way to make an otherwise fun activity dull). Biking is good exercise, and good transportation. Running is good exercise and ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.