Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My First Experience w/ Clipless Pedals

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My First Experience w/ Clipless Pedals

Old 06-03-19, 10:51 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Another potential problem with clipless is the unnatural twisting motion needed to unclip. Unlike the shoulder joint, there is nothing in the ankles and little in the knees to accommodate that twisting motion. The hips have limited rotation ability, which is limited even more by sitting.
Originally Posted by Kotts
I respectfully disagree. Ankles have more than enough angular rotation to handle unclipping. It does require using muscles that aren't involved in walking in a straight line.
Originally Posted by canklecat
The ankle is a hinge joint. In normal adults with healthy joints it has little or no ability to rotate. Rotation is done by the fibula, around the tibia as the anchor for the rotation. That puts a lot of torsion strain where the fibula connects with the knee. Like any mortise and tenon joint it *can* develop some play if stressed enough beyond its intended function. The human body's connective tissues help minimize direct stress on the hinge joint bones, until injury, aging or disease compromise the connective tissue.
Well there you have it, free internut medical advice is worth every penny.

I will make sure that I correct the obviously deluded medical professionals who worked hard to guide me in restoring the strength and range of motion of my left ankle. (The ankle is not a single joint.)

Just stand with your feet at 90 degrees to each other. So “unnatural” that it is comfortable.

SMH.

p.s. Sit in a chair. Cross your legs so that one knee is on top of the other, one foot on the floor. Write the alphabet with your top ankle. (Real PT exercize.) If you can only write the letter I, listen to the free internut advice.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 06-03-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 09:47 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may try SPD's soon. I still have the PD-1050 (old Shimano 105 group) with toe clips and straps which were original on my bike. I like them, and they work for me, with no mishaps. However, after reading some reviews, it seems clipless pedals really do help your efficiency, and obviously that helps a lot, especially as you get older. If I got to ride longer with less fatigue that would be very welcome.

Last edited by Pilot321; 06-07-19 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 11:10 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
I may try SPD's soon... If I got to ride longer with less fatigue that would be very welcome.
Interesting you should mention longer rides. It hadn't occurred to me but, since adding the SPD's, I've been averaging 10 miles per week longer than previously. Never thought it could be the clip-ins but maybe the energy I'm saving from no longer repositioning my old riding shoes has turned into mileage.
Likes For DrDyno:
Old 06-07-19, 04:11 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
However, after reading some reviews, it seems clipless pedals really do help your efficiency, and obviously that helps a lot, especially as you get older. If I got to ride longer with less fatigue that would be very welcome.
If this is why you're moving to SPDs, then I think you'll be sorely disappointed. Both my own personal experience (some of my bikes have SPDs, some toe clips, some flats) and various published studies show that there is little to no measurable efficiency gain to be had from clipless pedals and somewhat surprisingly, pulling up on the backstroke (whether with clips/straps or with clipless) actually decreases power output. The main gain from SPDs is ease of entry and reduced foot pain due to tight straps (which I don't care about since I no longer tighten my straps).
Old 06-07-19, 04:51 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davester
If this is why you're moving to SPDs, then I think you'll be sorely disappointed. Both my own personal experience (some of my bikes have SPDs, some toe clips, some flats) and various published studies show that there is little to no measurable efficiency gain to be had from clipless pedals and somewhat surprisingly, pulling up on the backstroke (whether with clips/straps or with clipless) actually decreases power output. The main gain from SPDs is ease of entry and reduced foot pain due to tight straps (which I don't care about since I no longer tighten my straps).
Thanks for your perspective. I don't tighten my straps either, and seem to do ok with the toe clips, and foot pain is not an issue. I may still give them a shot on my next bike. It seems some believe they are more efficient but I have also read studies which confirm what you say.
Old 06-07-19, 10:07 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I switched to clipless when the Look pedals came out, oh, about 82ish or so. All of my bicycles are fitted currently either with SPD (ATB) or SPD (Road). I had a few tip overs early on and once in a while when something weird happen I might still fall over. It happens with a new set of pedals if I have not got them set right and they are still stiff. As far as I am concerned, there is clipless and there is nothing else.

At first I kept clip pedals on my tri-bike so I could use my running shoes but quickly decided the time lost switching shoes was not meaningful for an age-grouper.
Old 06-08-19, 10:04 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts

Shimano PD-T400 Click’r SPD Pedals

I saw these listed locally, should be picking them up in a day or two. Decided I may just give these a try as they are listed as much easier to get un-clipped...