Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Mango Cruisers

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Mango Cruisers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 03:44 AM
woodybr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mango Cruisers

Hello everybody,

I'm starting this thread to gather some information about the Mango Cruisers.
I'm willing to buy a beach cruiser but my budget is kinda tight. For 300 shipped this 3-speed bike looked appealing.
So, if you have any information or experience with this brand/model, feel free to share.

Thank you in advance and here's the link.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ruisers_al.htm
Old 10-31-13, 07:51 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have no experience with this particular model, but friends have purchases bikesdirect.com bicycles before and I've assembled them. Looking at the specs for the Mango Macaw, you have a rear hub that is known to be reliable (Shimano Nexus 3), you have a simple OPC which, if maintained, is dead reliable. Aluminum rims of unknown quality, but better than steel rims regardless. Plated spokes used on this model are not as nice a choice as SS, but plated spokes kinda come with the territory at this price point. Only objective criticism I can make is that they don't mention whether that's a 1" or 1.125" threaded headset/fork...and the oversized tubes are making it hard for me to guess by "eyeballing" it...but it looks like a 1.125". In which case, that will suck if you ever wish to change the fork. (To be fair, I think the majority of cruiser ppl never consider changing the fork. I, for one, almost always change the fork.... or, I buy a cruiser as frame only, and have to source a fork....but I'm probably in the minority with that.)

More subjective criticism: I have no idea why anyone buys these aluminum cruisers. Those huge, boogery welds, the hydroformed or otherwise non-traditional tubing shapes, and the soft/weak nature of aluminum, to my eye, do not belong on a cruiser frame. I like skinny, durable steel, brazed together with simple lugs or electro-forged or even with some clean, inconspicuous TIG welds.... That's the biggest part of what makes a cruiser frame tick, imho.

Purely practical advice: You can probably find a used cruiser locally for less money and with more authenticity, if you try. You can prolly even find another beercan cruiser for less locally, too.
Old 10-31-13, 08:23 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Woodbr, how hilly is the area you'll be riding ? You may not need a three speed . I like my single speed , steel framed Electra Cruiser 1 a lot . And you can order it from REI for $250 . The only things I would change out are the tires and pedals . I would. Install some easy rolling city slicks tires and some better pedals . I find the gearing on the Electra just about perfect for me . It spins out around 13-14mph is is just about perfect for standing up to pump if you need to to get get up a hill. The seat is a personal thing , I changed mine out for a Brooks B67 and like it so much I ordered another for one of my other bikes .
Picking a bike is tough . Especially when you want a cruiser when a converted mountain bike would probably be a better commuter bike. Kirby
Old 11-01-13, 10:47 AM
rustjunkie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you decide to go with "mail order", factor professional assembly into the price if you're not experienced.
IMO no bike is ready to ride with simple assembly out of the box.
Correct assembly/adjustment makes a big difference in ride and longevity.
Old 11-05-13, 04:11 PM
woodybr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for your input. I'll take everything in consideration when the times comes I have to decide
Old 11-22-13, 04:50 PM
woodybr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also would like to hear your opinion on Firmstrong, Greenline and Kent La Jolla.
They seem to be more of a walmart kind of bike, but I'm still curious.
Old 01-07-14, 04:09 PM
enaind

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Firmstrong bike owner, Firmstong is good quality bike at reasonable prcie and I don't know about greenline but all kent/shcwinn/huffy cruiser are department junk bikes ,avoid all those brand if you are looking for good quality bikes.
You can find firmstrong on amazon.com , ebay.com , beachbikes.net or mybeachcruiser.com
Shop around for best price. Good lock!
Old 01-07-14, 08:06 PM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived in Florida a few years ago. There was a bike shop that rented out Mango Cruisers. Never rode one but they looked . Firmstrong looks like a good bike for the price. Best of luck!!!!!!
Old 01-08-14, 07:28 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Fit

Originally Posted by woodybr
Thank you all for your input. I'll take everything in consideration when the times comes I have to decide

The most imporant obstacle for a mail order bike is fit. You can have the most expensive, best looking, highest quality, etc., but if it doesn't fit it will become a POS in so far as riding enjoyment.

That's why I too...."Purely practical advice: You can probably find a used cruiser locally for less money and with more authenticity, if you try. You can prolly even find another beercan cruiser for less locally, too"....follow this advice. Just this past summer I picked up a like Diamondback cruiser (flared fenders, beach pedals, perfect paint) for my wife for $0. It was in a gaggle of 4 bikes and I sold the other 3 to a flipper on the same day for what I paid for all 4.

Also, most cruiser frames I see are 19 or 20" and are suitable only for those 5"10' or under. Raising the seat/handlebars are only fine tuning adjustments and won't make for an ill fitting frame.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by okane; 01-09-14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 08:50 PM
woodybr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by enaind
As a Firmstrong bike owner, Firmstong is good quality bike at reasonable prcie and I don't know about greenline but all kent/shcwinn/huffy cruiser are department junk bikes ,avoid all those brand if you are looking for good quality bikes.
You can find firmstrong on amazon.com , ebay.com , beachbikes.net or mybeachcruiser.com
Shop around for best price. Good lock!
Originally Posted by juniorswv
When I lived in Florida a few years ago. There was a bike shop that rented out Mango Cruisers. Never rode one but they looked . Firmstrong looks like a good bike for the price. Best of luck!!!!!!
Thank you both for the input.

Originally Posted by okane
The most imporant obstacle for a mail order bike is fit. You can have the most expensive, best looking, highest quality, etc., but if it doesn't fit it will become a POS in so far as riding enjoyment.

That's why I too...."Purely practical advice: You can probably find a used cruiser locally for less money and with more authenticity, if you try. You can prolly even find another beercan cruiser for less locally, too"....follow this advice. Just this past summer I picked up a like Diamondback cruiser (flared fenders, beach pedals, perfect paint) for my wife for $0. It was in a gaggle of 4 bikes and I sold the other 3 to a flipper on the same day for what I paid for all 4.

Also, most cruiser frames I see are 19 or 20" and are suitable only for those 5"10' or under. Raising the seat/handlebars are only fine tuning adjustments and won't make for an ill fitting frame.

Just my 2 cents
And that's exactly what I'm gonna do. The first thing will be to shop locally and see what I can get, try some bikes, compare the prices, see about this local x online thing. I'm not an impulsive buyer, so rest assured I'll always try to look at all the possibilities. That's kinda why I'm here. So you guys can do this awesome job giving advice so I can be prepared.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking your time and replying here. BTW, since you've mentioned the height aspect, I'm NOT tall at all, I'm 5'9". How would that influence when buying a new bike? (yes, I'm THAT newbie)
Old 01-10-14, 05:33 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
At 5'9" you should be good to go.....

...on most cruisers that I've seen. But again, actually trying is believing. One thing I have noticed in newbees is that they ride bikes that are too small to ride comfortably. Almost straight leg with a slight bend in the knee when the pedal is is the lowest position is what you should be aiming for.

Be sure to tell us what you get when you make your final decision.

Last edited by okane; 01-10-14 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 09:39 AM
woodybr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about the sixthreezero sold by beach bikes.
This purchase is only going to happen in September, so I have plenty of time to do my preliminary research.