Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight-Weenieism

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 07:29 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
But a titanium spoon gives a smooth and springy taste. Aluminum spoons are too rigid and give a harsh taste. For some people, the taste is worth the expense. As previously mentioned by indyfabz, purple is the pinnacle of titanium spoonage.
Oh, but you can anodize an aluminum spork purple! And just think of the possibilities of plastic! Plastic beats them all!!!
Likes For axelwik:
Old 02-17-24, 07:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Feel free to DM me, there's a whole other world of weight weenie bike components outside the mainstream of cycling. Being a weight weenie doesn't have to be very expensive!

One of my current disc road bikes clock in around 6.9kg with both cages, computer mount and pedals while running mechanical 11 speed Ultegra. Nothing fancy. The only areas where I cut significant weight over the standard stuff is going with a carbon crankset and opting to stay with clincher tires + TPU tubes (I don't like tubeless road tires). I have carbon wheels, but they're not even the lightest available. Plus my bike builds are daily riders, if I were to go full weight weenie, there's a bunch of ultra lightweight, but less durable components I could use.

Sheesh if I built a rim brake bike, I could probably do it in the 13-14 lbs. range!
yeah, great that you post this stuff.

What I asked for was a build list---a list of the parts and where you got them. If you can do it and I cannot, and you will not help me, then it really doesn't matter to me.
Old 02-17-24, 07:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Yeah, that’s what I thought. Your idea of subsidies and mine differs.

Bye.
Every US oil company gets major support from the US government... cheap leases, subsidies for exploration and development .......

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairm...ng-the-danger-
https://www.investopedia.com/article...-subsidies.asp
https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Article...ord-7-trillion

Edit: Koyote, in post# 392, also lists credible information.

Last edited by Maelochs; 02-17-24 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-17-24, 08:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
We have disagreed over many topics on these forums for a while however we have found a whole new area to explore, cruising! I have taken a few cruises (3) over the years. Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and Indian Ocean. Although I enjoyed the experience it felt like I was letting the old man in. How about you?
Not sure I understand the expression—like cruising seems for an older crowd? I didn’t know what to expect, and was surprised at the level of service. The first one was to the Bahamas, but we’re considering an Alaska cruise in the future.
Old 02-17-24, 08:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
We have disagreed over many topics on these forums for a while however we have found a whole new area to explore, cruising! I have taken a few cruises (3) over the years. Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and Indian Ocean. Although I enjoyed the experience it felt like I was letting the old man in. How about you?
Is that you on the far left?

Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-17-24, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by axelwik
Yes, you wasted money because an aluminum spoon is lighter and cheaper.
I used my REI dividend $$. I needed to order something cheap to get to the free shipping minimum requirement so I would not have to spend time and gas going to the store to pick up the order It was only a few $$, and it has served me well.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-17-24, 09:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
But a titanium spoon gives a smooth and springy taste. Aluminum spoons are too rigid and give a harsh taste. For some people, the taste is worth the expense. As previously mentioned by indyfabz, purple is the pinnacle of titanium spoonage.
East Glacier Park, MT. 2009. About 30 miles into an epic near century ride.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-17-24 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-17-24, 09:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Every US oil company gets major support from the US government... cheap leases, subsidies for exploration and development .......

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairm...ng-the-danger-
https://www.investopedia.com/article...-subsidies.asp
https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Article...ord-7-trillion

Edit: Koyote, in post# 392, also lists credible information.
Yep, those are direct subsidies which obviously keep the prices of fossil fuels below their true levels. And as axelwik mentions, there are plenty of less direct subsidies -- which are subsidies nonetheless and hence also keep users' costs below their true levels -- one of the foremost is the huge external cost imposed on the planet, which is not factored into fossil fuel prices. Strange that smd4 referenced the copious emissions coming from his cruise ship and can't recognize this.

Here is a very brief summary of a recent study...But again, this fact (of the external costs keeping fossil fuel prices artificially low) has been widely understood and accepted for a looong time among people who actually study this stuff. You can get together economists and policy makers from across the ideological spectrum (like this group) and they will all agree on this.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-17-24 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-17-24, 11:18 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Dude! He said "Bye"! Twice!
....doesn't matter to the crows. That poor ol' hawk I was watching tried the same thing. The crows are on a mission from God.
Old 02-17-24, 11:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Old bikes good. New bikes bad.
All bikes good. No bikes bad.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-17-24, 11:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My bikes good. All other bikes bad, unnecessary, and not worth the money.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-24, 02:04 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I am glad we have touched on the fossil fuel subsidy debate as it clearly identifies those individuals who look at issues with a narrow perspective. This subsidy argument can be said about every industry and almost every sector of our economy. Fossil fuels, including coal, oil, and natural gas, played a pivotal role in the development of mankind by fueling the Industrial Revolution. These energy sources powered machinery, transportation, and various industries, leading to increased productivity, economic growth, and technological advancements. Fossil fuels provided a more efficient and accessible energy source, shaping modern societies and contributing to the expansion of global trade and communication. Fossil fuels impact on agriculture has been transformative virtually eliminating famine world wide. Modern healthcare would be impossible without fossil fuels. Lastly North America is fully energy self dependent regarding fossil fuels. Reason for these wars not a result of fossil fuel dependence but rather political dogma and evil corrupt bureaucrats.
Old 02-17-24, 02:09 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Speaking of excess weight, a 75% reduction in the human biomass would help a lot. If it could be done selectively, leaving only those who possess the genes for empathy, we could live happily ever after!

Or, at least until we become like shmoos, happy to feed the space aliens with our bodies.

It's a tradeoff that I'd accept.
Old 02-17-24, 03:09 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Dude! He said "Bye"! Twice!
I am glad we have touched on the fossil fuel subsidy debate as it clearly identifies those individuals who look at issues with a narrow perspective. This subsidy argument can be said about every industry and almost every sector of our economy. Fossil fuels, including coal, oil, and natural gas, played a pivotal role in the development of mankind by fueling the Industrial Revolution. These energy sources powered machinery, transportation, and various industries, leading to increased productivity, economic growth, and technological advancements. Fossil fuels provided a more efficient and accessible energy source, shaping modern societies and contributing to the expansion of global trade and communication. Fossil fuels impact on agriculture has been transformative virtually eliminating famine world wide. Modern healthcare would be impossible without fossil fuels. Lastly North America is fully energy self dependent regarding fossil fuels. Reason for these wars not a result of fossil fuel dependence but rather political dogma and evil corrupt bureaucrats.
Some of those things are true, but we're at a point where we can see the harm that fossil fuels causes, such as the elephant in the room called global warming. We now have the technology to START moving in a direction away from fossil fuels. It's to our detriment if we do not. For those of us in the USA to not do anything simply means higher costs for everything, but for those in less developed parts of the world it's resulting in migrations and conflict when people flee areas with little to no resources. It's not fair to put the burden of our gluttonous lifestyle on those who did not cause the problem.

Regarding the wars that we've waged in recent decades you're completely wrong. With the USA it started in a big way with the 1991 war to stabilize Middle Eastern oil producing countries (Desert Storm). I was there, and it was obvious what we were doing. The terrorist acts that followed were a result of our occupation of those countries - there's no denying that. There were many, many conflicts occurring during the same time period, but we didn't get involved with those. We only got involved in those that might be a threat to our gluttonous oil consumption habits here in the USA. (And Panama during the same time period - threat to the Panama canal.)

As a geologist I know that we are NOT fully fossil fuel self-dependant - maybe in the short term, but certainly not long-term. It would be delusional to think otherwise. (Of course most of the oil that we import to the USA comes from Canada, but the price of oil tracks globally - doesn't matter where it comes from.) The only way for us to become fossil fuel independent is to make the transition to EVs - that would do it.

Last edited by axelwik; 02-17-24 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-24, 04:42 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Sigh, I'm sorry:

Bike that bring happiness to their owners = good

Bikes that do not bring happiness to their owner = bad

The Good or Bad is not necessarily a constant during the duration of ownership.

Also:
my bikes are gooder than yours.
(probably not)

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 02-17-24 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 02-17-24, 05:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Some of those things are true, but we're at a point where we can see the harm that fossil fuels causes, such as the elephant in the room called global warming. We now have the technology to START moving in a direction away from fossil fuels. It's to our detriment if we do not. For those of us in the USA to not do anything simply means higher costs for everything, but for those in less developed parts of the world it's resulting in migrations and conflict when people flee areas with little to no resources. It's not fair to put the burden of our gluttonous lifestyle on those who did not cause the problem.

Regarding the wars that we've waged in recent decades you're completely wrong. With the USA it started in a big way with the 1991 war to stabilize Middle Eastern oil producing countries (Desert Storm). I was there, and it was obvious what we were doing. The terrorist acts that followed were a result of our occupation of those countries - there's no denying that. There were many, many conflicts occurring during the same time period, but we didn't get involved with those. We only got involved in those that might be a threat to our gluttonous oil consumption habits here in the USA. (And Panama during the same time period - threat to the Panama canal.)

As a geologist I know that we are NOT fully fossil fuel self-dependant - maybe in the short term, but certainly not long-term. It would be delusional to think otherwise. (Of course most of the oil that we import to the USA comes from Canada, but the price of oil tracks globally - doesn't matter where it comes from.) The only way for us to become fossil fuel independent is to make the transition to EVs - that would do it.
...first, you have a relatively short history here. So I'm not blaming or chastising you. But some of the more experienced people in this thread should know pretty well there's different section of the forum to discus this and other political topics. I'm puzzled as to why long history posters, like Koyote , Maelochs , and Atlas Shrugged have encouraged this digression.

Well, not that puzzled really. The rules seem not to apply to them personally, in the same way they apply to everyone else.

Regardless, there is a P+R forum section, and this topic has been much discussed in there. I doubt it will stop anytime soon. You need 50 posts in your history, and to send a message to the moderation team to get permission to post in there. I don't disagree with you, but there's a time and place.
Old 02-17-24, 05:39 PM
axelwik
Yep

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...first, you have a relatively short history here. So I'm not blaming or chastising you. But some of the more experienced people in this thread should know pretty well there's different section of the forum to discus this and other political topics. I'm puzzled as to why long history posters, like Koyote , Maelochs , and Atlas Shrugged have encouraged this digression.

Well, not that puzzled really. The rules seem not to apply to them personally, in the same way they apply to everyone else.

Regardless, there is a P+R forum section, and this topic has been much discussed in there. I doubt it will stop anytime soon. You need 50 posts in your history, and to send a message to the moderation team to get permission to post in there. I don't disagree with you, but there's a time and place.
Absolutely nothing political about it.

I don't post much, but have been here longer than you.
Old 02-17-24, 05:53 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Fools!!!

1. Take a poop
2. Get a crew cut
3. Clip your toenails
4. Less water in your water bottle
5. Why are so many bikes painted these days?
Old 02-17-24, 05:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts

only if all recharging for EVs came from solar, wind, nuclear and other non fossil fuel sources.

Old 02-17-24, 06:24 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
There is a time and place for everything. Yes, every improvement in the human condition has come at the cost of increased energy consumption. So-called "green" energy is about providing the same energy or even more than fossils can provide in a way that will be sustainable, mitigating the known harmful effects of littering waste everywhere. There is no debate here that falls under the umbrella of weight-weenieism. How this relates to the thread topic of titanium spoons, hydrogen tires and bikes made of 5mph bumpers is dubious at best.

There is a lotta foo to go 'round for light-hearted chit-chat about nonbicycle topics.

Just sayin'--
Carry on.
Old 02-17-24, 06:28 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I am probably breaking Omertà however, I must admit, you have uncovered a nest of deep agents doing the work of “Big Bike”. Spreading misinformation and fostering dissent wherever we go. Why the rules do not seem to apply to us, must leave that unsaid.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-17-24 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-17-24, 07:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Absolutely nothing political about it.

I don't post much, but have been here longer than you.
...whatever. Nice chatting with you.
Old 02-17-24, 07:39 PM
axelwik
Yep

Originally Posted by squirtdad
only if all recharging for EVs came from solar, wind, nuclear and other non fossil fuel sources.
Yes, that's the goal.
Old 02-17-24, 08:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I was summarizing the point of someone else’s nonsense.

IMO, the best bike is the one that excites you, and makes you want to ride it. Just ride bikes.
Old 02-17-24, 09:50 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Okay guys. Enough of the political posts. A couple members warned about it already.
Likes For StanSeven: