Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant Defy Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 03:03 PM
Spartacvs

Bikes: Raleigh M600, Giant Defy ALLUX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
I didn't read through all the post that got you to this point. But still the questions for me is what's wrong with the current bike if you can get everything working correctly? And what do you expect upgrades to do for you?

I put all new Shimano 105 5800 group on a 30 plus year old bike and while it taught me a lot, it also taught me that when everything works, new stuff doesn't really change how a bike performs from the old stuff.

You won't easily put disc brakes on that bike if it doesn't have the increased rear spacing or mount points for disc brakes.

If the BB shell is BSA threaded, then you can easily change to a Shimano road crankset with a PM. You mention 4iiii, I use them too. I'm assuming you are wanting to buy a crankset from them with the PM already installed, or are you just getting the single sided PM installed by them for the left crank arm?
Thanks for your reply...
I can't put disc... wasn't planning on it, I had mentioned it only as an upgrade on a new bike. To your point, there's really nothing wrong with what I have except for the age of some of the components due to wear n tear. I have 105's except for the crank and front deralier. Just the non-drive arm with the PM on it and I would have to upgrade the BB for it to fit. That only leaves the wheels and tires and I will pretty much have a new bike.
Old 02-23-24, 04:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartacvs
That only leaves the wheels and tires and I will pretty much have a new bike.
Still the old Giant Defy?

I'm not certain I'd spring for expensive wheels for that. But tires themselves can make a great difference in how a bike feels to you. Particularly how well it rolls. So if you aren't using a really good tire, that might be a very worthwhile investment. Better and more expensive tires both roll better with less muscle needed and also ride more comfortably. Flat protection is less in them, but if you aren't riding in goat head filled areas, then you likely can run really good tires and not flat very often at all. I use the tubed version of the GP5000 tires and while they aren't the best of the easy rolling tires, they aren't the worst by far. And they don't flat easy for me. I've worn out the last three tires to the point that if it wasn't for the tube, I'd be able to see the air inside them. No flats till then.
Old 02-24-24, 05:34 AM
Spartacvs

Bikes: Raleigh M600, Giant Defy ALLUX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yepp... still the ol Giant Defy. I re-cabled it last year, took it all apart, clean and lube. It was a much nicer ride. Amazing how a little bit of TLC does.
I'm riding Gatorskins 25's... I had a series of punctures that left me in some bad places. I was too lazy to put in a new tube in myself so I went to my LBS. Three rounds of tubes later....They hadn't noticed that I had a thorn that kept puncturing the tube. It was small and would work a puncture after a bit of time... you know when you are 20 miles in the middle of nowhere without cell service. I ended up buying Gatorskins vowing never to have a puncture again. Needless to say I don't go to that bike shop any longer. I have a pair of Bontrager T2's but they are 28's... I think I can get them on but it's going to be close.
The stock wheels are in okay shape... no visible signs of a problem. They can be run tubeless I suppose as an upgrade?
Old 02-26-24, 05:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I have always liked the Defy, and it is good t know that yours is still serving you well.