Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

I kind of need a different tandem.

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

I kind of need a different tandem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 05:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
The OP requested 650b x 2.0" tires. I think that's a perfectly reasonable width for many tandems on gravel. For rides like Dirty Kanza, most folks are running their tires at 30-40psi, and tandems should be no different. Using my wife and I as a typical 320lb team (including bike), we'd have to run 58mm tires with tubes or 49mm tubeless to get to that same ~40psi target at reasonable tire drops. I'm using the pressure calculator here: https://www.cycleschinook.com/tire-pressure-calculator/
Sure we've ridden gravel on tandem with 700c x 32-38mm tires before making the leap to 650b. Traction wasn't that great, we flatted regularly, and wore through tires quickly. Sometimes we now ride gravel on 45mm tires if it's in the middle of a road ride. The 45mm tires are great for nice gravel roads and pavement, but they're less than ideal for wet dirt roads, unmaintained roads, or loose gravel. Most of the time I have 50mm tires mounted on our tandem. The 50mm tires are plenty fast on pavement and we can take whatever "roads" we feel like. For large chunky gravel like Dirty Kanza, I'd be using 54-60mm tires -- setup tubeless -- on our tandem. I wouldn't buy a new gravel tandem knowing that it can't fit tires wide enough for the intended use. Heavier teams will need even wider tires than our 320lb example team to enjoy similar traction, suspension, and pinch-flat-resistance from their tires.
to each his own. For us, at a little above your team weight we’re running 42 mm gravel kings and found 2.1 tires to be overkill.

I did DK on 40 mm tires on a single, and was glad to have the volume watching people flat on 32 mm cross tires.

I’d probably use 48mm gravel kings if we ever win the lottery to get a spot in DK again on a tandem.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-30-20, 09:05 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner
For the sake of this discussion, our team weight is 400lbs. I own about 240 of that....
Put 400lb in here and see what it recommends for your local gravel. You can compare with your single bike tires and pressure for a reference point. https://www.cycleschinook.com/tire-optimizer/
Old 12-30-20, 09:16 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
to each his own. For us, at a little above your team weight we’re running 42 mm gravel kings and found 2.1 tires to be overkill.

I did DK on 40 mm tires on a single, and was glad to have the volume watching people flat on 32 mm cross tires.

I’d probably use 48mm gravel kings if we ever win the lottery to get a spot in DK again on a tandem.
For completeness, what psi did you use on DK? Tubeless? Would you want to use the same pressure on your tandem in those same conditions?
I really, really like the Gravelking and PariMoto 38 and 42mm slick tires. We have 35mm wide (inner) rims on one set of wheels for our tandem, so those 45mm and 50mm (measured) tires I referenced are actually the 38 and 42mm (labeled) PariMoto or Gravelkings. For some reason, the 48mm (labeled size) Gravelkings don’t have the same magic carpet feel to them as the narrower sizes.
Old 12-31-20, 08:57 AM
Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think a cost-effective way to build or buy a tandem that will accept high-volume tires is to get a frame designed for 26” (559) wheels. You can certainly build it up as a road/gravel bike with drop bars. On our da Vinci Joint Venture road style tandem, we run Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26 x 2.0 tires and still have room for fenders if we want. Some quick math puts the tire diameter at 25.98” vs. a 700c x 25 tire at 26.45” so there is only about 1/2 inch difference in tire diameter from what the OP is using now, so the wheels won’t look oddly small.

Our all-up weight with 6 full large bottles and a full large rack trunk is around 420 pounds. We run 50/56psi front/rear and these tires roll fast on pavement but really soak up road vibrations and bumps. There are still plenty of 26” tire choices from Rene Herse, Schwalbe, Panaracer, Kenda ... etc. from smooth and supple to gnarly, plus everywhere in between. We have f/r discs, but even rim brake 26” tandems with canti or V-brakes will have good tire clearance and will most likely be relatively inexpensive on the used market. With the disc brakes on our bike, I think we could use 650b wheels with 45-48mm tires, but we’d lose the clearance for fenders.

We’ve ridden tandems for 31 seasons and are now sold on wide and supple tires at lower pressure after years of running skinnier 700c and 26” tires at 80-100+ psi. The slight aero/weight penalty has not slowed us down as we’re .4 - .6mph quicker overall (and much more comfy!) with just the tire change.

Last edited by Joint Venture; 12-31-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-31-20, 09:01 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Tubed Schwable Marathons, I don’t recall the pressure. But it was 2013, and I’m sure I ran higher pressure back then than I would now.

We currently run 25-30 psi in 42mm gravel kings. So having low enough pressure for comfort on 48 mm tires wouldn’t be an issue for us.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-04-21, 04:09 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
We had a 1994 Burley Samba with 26" and 1.5" was stock and not much more than that was ever going to work. One way to get extra volume is to buy or build a bike designed for 700C and use 650B wheels and tires instead. Even that doesn't always work because tires get wider as they get taller and the side to side clearance still needs to be adequate for real 'plus size' rubber. But "All Road" is a thing now and all kinds of bikes are designed from go for 2" tires (plus fenders). Even 700C x 2" (plus fenders) isn't unheard of. Trek T900's have 26" x 2" stock. Fenders were not an issue. A T900 with dropbars would be an amazing gravel tandem. If you could get past the 'entry level' stain of the price point. We are a strictly pavement team and already have a dropbar conversion so I can't justify another. I just bought a (half-bike) with 2.4" tires (stock) and I am amazed at the glide. I think I am going to put 32's in the place of the 28's on our 2005 Raleigh Coupe 700C (now drop bar). They should fit.
Old 01-12-21, 08:26 PM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocknrollin
Or keep your eyes open on ebay/ tandemclassifieds.
We would also like to upgrade soon to a tandem with larger tiers. I've been eyeing the second hand market over the last 18months, but most tandems are pre-2010 road tandems that can only fit 32mm tires max.
I'll point out, that by converting to 650b, you are generally able to shoehorn much larger tires in the space of tighter spaced frames. We're on a cannondale Rt2, and we're able to just fit a 50mm tire.
Old 01-12-21, 09:50 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I bought my second tandem, an aluminum frame mtb hardtail, from mtb tandems, just north of Atlanta. It's a Fandango, and has been great on gravel forest service roads of various qualities. I bought a second wheelset for paved road riding, 700x40, but found the top end of the gear train lacking. However, I think you can get a reasonable solution with capacity for wide tires for a "reasonable" price. And lighter than my old mid- 80s steel Santana tandem.
Old 01-26-21, 01:45 PM
longpete

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Why not try a small mtb bar(flat or low rizer) wit a lot of backsweep with a short stem?
Old 02-28-21, 08:30 PM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
You might consider a good Burley Rock and Roll. You can find them well under $1K these days, with fixed or Soft Ride stoker seat. It has 26" wheels. Probably will be 8 speed, which can go to 9 or 10 on the same hub. Ours would take 1.5" tires with room to spare and probably could have taken a 2" mountain bike tire easily. Convert to drop bars with used brifters or bar ends and there you go. You can easily use V-brakes instead of cantis if you prefer.

Our first tandem was a a R-n-R. I converted it to drop bars and never looked back for 6 years.
Can you tell me a bit more about this conversion you did? Did you try larger wheels or keep the 26”? Have any photos?

I have a rock n roll I’m wondering what to with next.
Old 03-02-21, 06:47 AM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Joint Venture
I think a cost-effective way to build or buy a tandem that will accept high-volume tires is to get a frame designed for 26” (559) wheels. You can certainly build it up as a road/gravel bike with drop bars. On our da Vinci Joint Venture road style tandem, we run Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26 x 2.0 tires and still have room for fenders if we want. Some quick math puts the tire diameter at 25.98” vs. a 700c x 25 tire at 26.45” so there is only about 1/2 inch difference in tire diameter from what the OP is using now, so the wheels won’t look oddly small.

Our all-up weight with 6 full large bottles and a full large rack trunk is around 420 pounds. We run 50/56psi front/rear and these tires roll fast on pavement but really soak up road vibrations and bumps. There are still plenty of 26” tire choices from Rene Herse, Schwalbe, Panaracer, Kenda ... etc. from smooth and supple to gnarly, plus everywhere in between. We have f/r discs, but even rim brake 26” tandems with canti or V-brakes will have good tire clearance and will most likely be relatively inexpensive on the used market. With the disc brakes on our bike, I think we could use 650b wheels with 45-48mm tires, but we’d lose the clearance for fenders.

We’ve ridden tandems for 31 seasons and are now sold on wide and supple tires at lower pressure after years of running skinnier 700c and 26” tires at 80-100+ psi. The slight aero/weight penalty has not slowed us down as we’re .4 - .6mph quicker overall (and much more comfy!) with just the tire change.
This sounds like a good way to go.With ole Arthur creeping into my wrists, I find drop bars much more comfy for long rides, also like the option of the drops when dealing with headwinds (A fact of life here). I really want disc brakes as well.

So... I guess I'm in the market for a 26" disc brake 26er tandem that can be converted to drop bar. Does such a bike exist?
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 03-02-21, 07:53 AM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Some 26” tandems can be had originally equipped with drop bars, like from da Vinci and Co-Motion. If needed, a drop bar conversion isn’t hard at all, especially with cable-actuated discs.
Old 03-02-21, 09:33 AM
pipeliner

This is an interesting rig. Too far away tho. Looks like a guy could run 650b x 2” pretty easily.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2966818/
Old 03-02-21, 11:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner
This is an interesting rig. Too far away tho. Looks like a guy could run 650b x 2” pretty easily.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2966818/
Maybe up front, but I'm not seeing the clearance at the rear end for a 2" tire, even in 650B diameter. You really need to take a look at a Trek T900 and figure out a drop bar conversion for it.
Old 03-04-21, 07:37 AM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I'm going to be selling a tandem that might fit your needs. It would require some changes (drop bars and brifters from current flat bar) but that will be a lot less expensive than a new tandem. Currently is 650B with 38c tires and lots of room for wider. 3 x 9 shifting. Hydro disc brakes. Are you still looking?
Old 03-04-21, 11:18 AM
pipeliner

Please pm me.
Old 03-04-21, 06:10 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I'm tagged as a newbie so it won't let me PM you. I sent a "visitor message".
Old 03-12-21, 09:59 AM
pipeliner

Originally Posted by Chilepines
I'm tagged as a newbie so it won't let me PM you. I sent a "visitor message".
Added you to my contacts.