Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Adventures in Shipping

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Adventures in Shipping

Old 03-25-21, 06:27 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
I have become more amused over the DeJoy Debacle.
He supposedly ran a company that was a private shipping operation for profit, and he wants to do the same to to the Postal service. Biggest problem is government services don't work the same way. I worked for a University print shop for 35 years and one worker kept trying to compare what we did to the private companies. The services are completely different. For profit companies can and do charge the going market rate for services, whereas the not for profits offer more services and better because they are not restricted by market costs. As an employee I was aware that we never needed to show a profit, and if we did it was distributed into items like office furniture or some other items. The private company model is a different animal than the internal not for profit model. Trying to convert the Postal service to a for profit model will stop it from being a service and turn it into another business like all the others.
Now about that "kicked to the curb" thing... How can I help? It should happen sooner than later. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-26-21, 01:36 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Made 2 orders from the same mid west ebay vendor 5 days apart. First order stopped at a local distribution center. . Apparently the black hole of Oak Creek WI. is full so my second package managed to achieve escape velocity and was delivered after 4 days. Still waiting on the first to resurface.
That's weird. Usually when I order stuff from Amazon they have it on my door step before I can walk across the room to get it. I assume it's only the health regulations stopping the guy from coming into my living room to hand it to me.
Old 03-26-21, 04:52 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
I had a couple packages stop at a location for extended times. A little googling showed that there a number of Post Office processing facilities that still haven't dug out of the holiday crisis.