Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying GUERCIOTTI frameset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 03:30 PM
Alejandro TwLe
Alejandro

Bikes: Colnago Tecnos, Medici Pro-pista, Alan Record, Klein Quantum II, Duarte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Hello all
Need some help identifying this Guerciotti frameset. All the models I've found on the internet got slightly differences fromthis one ¿Was it built from Falck tubing?
Size: 52 cm
BB shell width: 70 mm (italian thread)
Rear spacing. 126 mm

Old 03-27-21, 07:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Alejandro,
It looks to be one of the bikes that came into the US to Ten Speed Drive to paint. Lack of a serial number is questionable but it is a real Guerciotti as can be noted by the cut out BB and panto-ed bits on the frame. Look to a few forum pictures and when you paint it go to Cyclomondo for decals. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-27-21, 08:17 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'd say that this frame is earlier than 1983-1984, which is the date of a TSD-Guerciotti frame that I have hanging up, because the brake bridge is an older style, as are the seat stay caps (oval on OP chrome example, truncated oval on the one I have); fork crown is a bit earlier, too, I'd say -- but not far off, based on the "under the BB" cable routing, and the recess for the brake bolt nut in the fork crown. My opinion is that this frame was (or was intended to be) painted, not all chrome -- with the fork and both chainstays were left chrome, as on mine.
This one is probably what your frame looked like, and seems to have the same detailing -- my files have this pegged as "early 80s":

At least that was the scheme for TSD Guerciottis that were the "SLX" model. Mine has no serial number either, but it does have a TSD panto on the brake bridge. There was a somewhat less expensive model too, with painted chainstays (and fork maybe). My guess is that the frame is constructed of some variety of Columbus tubing, like a lot of Italian bikes of the era. If your frame is SLX, then the seat tube will have spiral lands visible on the interior, and possibly the head and/or fork steerer tubing.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 03-29-21, 03:43 PM
Alejandro TwLe
Alejandro

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
New pics

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I'd say that this frame is earlier than 1983-1984, which is the date of a TSD-Guerciotti frame that I have hanging up, because the brake bridge is an older style, as are the seat stay caps (oval on OP chrome example, truncated oval on the one I have); fork crown is a bit earlier, too, I'd say -- but not far off, based on the "under the BB" cable routing, and the recess for the brake bolt nut in the fork crown. My opinion is that this frame was (or was intended to be) painted, not all chrome -- with the fork and both chainstays were left chrome, as on mine.
This one is probably what your frame looked like, and seems to have the same detailing -- my files have this pegged as "early 80s":

At least that was the scheme for TSD Guerciottis that were the "SLX" model. Mine has no serial number either, but it does have a TSD panto on the brake bridge. There was a somewhat less expensive model too, with painted chainstays (and fork maybe). My guess is that the frame is constructed of some variety of Columbus tubing, like a lot of Italian bikes of the era. If your frame is SLX, then the seat tube will have spiral lands visible on the interior, and possibly the head and/or fork steerer tubing.

Hi Charles,
Thanks for your comments on my thread. I really appreciate them.
As you can see in these new pics, there is no "spiral lands visible on the interior". I'm not totally sure if this frameseet was build from Columbus SLX. The frame and fork weight 2043 gr and 693 gr.
BTW that's a nice color you have on your Guerciotti

Inside the seat tube

Inside steerer tube below the crown

Inside steerer tube from above
Old 03-29-21, 03:45 PM
Alejandro TwLe
Alejandro

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Alejandro,
It looks to be one of the bikes that came into the US to Ten Speed Drive to paint. Lack of a serial number is questionable but it is a real Guerciotti as can be noted by the cut out BB and panto-ed bits on the frame. Look to a few forum pictures and when you paint it go to Cyclomondo for decals. Smiles, MH
Thanks Mad! I'll be posting some new pics once I got those decals
Old 03-30-21, 07:01 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Alejandro TwLe
As you can see in these new pics, there is no "spiral lands visible on the interior". I'm not totally sure if this frameseet was build from Columbus SLX. The frame and fork weight 2043 gr and 693 gr.
BTW that's a nice color you have on your Guerciotti.
My guess is that the tubeset on your frame is Columbus SL, the predecessor of SLX, which may have been even lighter. I don't think I've ever seen a Guerciotti example with tubing decals that wasn't Columbus of some variety. 2700-something grams for frame and fork is a rather light outcome for steel -- I have only one that's lighter, and it's a Motobécane size 53 cm with Vitus tubing (maybe the lightest production tubeset ever). If shopping for decals, note that the style shown in the maroon example I posted is probably "correct", as opposed to the sans-serif set on the later TSD frames (like the one I linked to on Flickr) which I don't like so well, to be honest. It's your bike, so you can dress it as you wish -- it's not like it's one of a kind. I actually really like the decals on this "early 70s" Guerciotti found on Classic Rendezvous, that appear to be Constructivist-inspired, though good luck finding those from one of the usual decal purveyors! Since your frame is now a tabula rasa, you can think of the whole thing as an opportunity for self-expression.
Old 03-30-21, 06:55 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
These folks are GREAT!!

https://bicycledecals.net/pages/decals
Likes For Steel Charlie: