Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

want a carbon fiber bike, but nervous

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

want a carbon fiber bike, but nervous

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 02:42 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I have had a CF seat post assplode under me. Name brand component. Verified genuine by them. Bought brand new. Always tightened with a torque wrench so never overtightened. They claim my frame cut it. My frame has a beautiful chamfer at the top of the seat post tube. The post was not meant to be used on a trail bike under a 250 pound aggressive rider. I have the same brand post on my road bike. No issues. The carbon post on my fat tire bike is just fine after one season.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-12-21, 02:46 PM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
One of my early suggestions to the OP was to buy a used bike from a reputable manufacturer. It makes sense for his budget, and his concerns about quality. However, when he started going down this path...

...he was definitely generalizing CF as being more dangerous than other materials.
Yup, I missed that line and can definitely see why he would get flamed for such a statement. I hope he is still reading and takes your advice on a good used bike. My first one was used as my budget at the time was only $1,000 like the OP but I came her asking questions, and seeking knowledge when I got into the sport, not making wild assumptions haha
Old 04-12-21, 02:52 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​At first, yeah, the OP was still "in character." But then:

Yikes, yeah I tried to bring some calm to the thread but it seems he opened the flame session himself. Some have to learn the hard way
Likes For seymour1910:
Old 04-12-21, 02:55 PM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Honestly Motopokep, if you are still reading this thread you started, you should NOT buy a CF frame. Just because Boeing make wings out of the stuff, and Emerates Team New Zealand won the Americas Cup in a crazy CF boat, doesn't mean it's right for you. Reading your original post and then subsequent posts you seemed to come here looking for reasons not to buy CF. And given there are now about a zillion posts telling you you're wrong and should buy CF, let me be the contrarian and tell you to STAY AWAY from CF, and stick with ****** Al. From my own experience, the last three bikes I've ridden have been CF and they were all crap. Or it could be that I am a crap bike rider, but I'm willing to blame the frame material. Your mileage will not vary.
Likes For TheRealDrPhil:
Old 04-12-21, 03:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Yup, I missed that line and can definitely see why he would get flamed for such a statement. I hope he is still reading and takes your advice on a good used bike. My first one was used as my budget at the time was only $1,000 like the OP but I came her asking questions, and seeking knowledge when I got into the sport, not making wild assumptions haha
You did it right.

I recently bought a used CF bike....with CF fork, wheels, bar/stem, seatpost, and derailleur cages. Every time I ride it, I'm expecting to die, with my body punctured a multitude of times by shards of deadly CF material.
Old 04-12-21, 03:05 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
Looking to buy my first road bike. Been riding an aluminum hybrid for 15 years, time to go lighter and sportier. I'm choosing between aluminum and carbon fiber. Carbon is 10 pounds lighter in weight, but after reading about all of the horror injuries coupled with the fact that I'm looking to go fast on this bike, I'm nervous about riding carbon fiber. I'm looking for a piece of mind that it won't implode under me at 15 mph. I'm looking to race only against myself and for fitness, so maybe the advantage of lighter and faster carbon fiber, for my purposes, doesn't outweigh the risks. I don't want to spend the time inspecting the carbon fiber frame for hairline-size damage. I want this bike to last me as long as possible. My current hybrid aluminum served me well for 15 years, with some grass hill riding and jumping curbs. That's why I'm leaning toward aluminum. An ultra-light carbon fiber bike sounds lucrative, but safety and longevity are my goals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
for $1000 you can buy a high quality light weight steel single speed bike and it will give you a good workout every time you ride it.
Old 04-12-21, 03:12 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
find a nice caad10 or 9 or 8 cannon dale... for a thousand bucks what ever you buy new in carbon will be a dog... i bought a nice used litespeed for that price and i bought a nice schwinn steel 853 for around 400 less..
if you can find a nice used Ti bike..... i wouild snag that..
Likes For scuzzo:
Old 04-12-21, 05:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Interesting thread from the perspective of participant history. A few first-time posters. Others with many years registered, but very few posts relatively. This seems to be a topic that draws folks out of the woodwork, and/or gets them to join.
Old 04-12-21, 05:49 PM
Scottyf1

Bikes: Cannondale 6 Carbon 2010, Rock Lobster MTB 1996

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey

I’m currently riding a 2010 Cannondale Six Carbon (frame and forks - s105 10 speed group set) which came with a carbon seat post and aluminium bars - I’ve personalised it with a few upgrades (Ultegra based power meter and ultegra spd,s along with an aluminium aero bar) and I do around 450 to 500 km a week. It weighs around 8.2kg (18 lbs) and is sturdy as a rock.

I picked this up second hand for £600 ($850) a few years ago so will be cheaper now.

I agree with previous posts that you should maybe go second hand for a carbon bike rather than new from China or stick with aluminium if you think it’s safer.

also, it’s a well known fact (sorry weight weenies) that if you want to shave riding weight then it should start with the rider (and it’s cheaper too).

sorry if that sounds offensive and apols up front if it has - not intended.

regards. Scott
Old 04-12-21, 08:29 PM
oldbear63

Bikes: Fuji road bike, Trek mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
i tried posting a few links, but I have under 10 posts, so the forum is not letting me. google "carbon fiber bike lawsuits"...there's an Outpost article. Youtube "carbon fiber bike failure".

+ someone I know broke his arm in several places when his carbon fiber handlebars broke for no reason. he ended up suing and won.

i'm on a budget and looking to purchase either a $400 aluminum or a $1,000 carbon fiber bike from China. at this low price, i think its safer to go with aluminum. i know most carbon fiber bikes do not break, but most people buy $2,000 - $4,000 carbon bikes made with quality. I don't want to spend that much, as this is my hobby #10, not #1 like probably for many serious life-long cycling enthusiasts on here. If I break my arm or leg, I'll be out of my 9 other hobbies for a long time....just want the piece of mind riding aluminum. At least if aluminum starts to fail, I'll have early warning signs. If I wanted to spend $2-$3k, maybe I'd go with carbon.
Please consider spending a bit more! My low-end aluminum frame bikes have served me very well at about 3 lbs heavier than my fellow cluber's bikes and my bikes are in the sub $2K range. Decent components and a passable aluminum frame (with a carbon fork) will usually run at least $1K to $2K.
Old 04-12-21, 08:55 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
I have two carbon fiber framed bikes right now and really like them both. I have seen no problem with either of them. However, if you have issues with CF then go with an aluminum bike.
Old 04-12-21, 09:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Scottyf1
...it’s a well known fact (sorry weight weenies) that if you want to shave riding weight then it should start with the rider (and it’s cheaper too).
That's crazy talk! Don't you know what kind of site this is??
Old 04-13-21, 02:32 AM
Scottyf1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's crazy talk! Don't you know what kind of site this is??
hey there

sorry if I’ve offended or wrongly posted.

I just sensed that the original poster was concentrating more on the perceived lighter weight of carbon v other materials whereas my decision to get a carbon bike was based on its stiffness and ability to suck up road vibration.

I also have a 1996 aluminium Rock Lobster Expert MTB that I’ve been proud to own all these years and i bought it new at £1,200.00 back in the day. It weighs around 10.9 kg (24 lbs) and is as fresh as the day I bought it.
Old 04-13-21, 05:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
also, it’s a well known fact (sorry weight weenies) that if you want to shave riding weight then it should start with the rider (and it’s cheaper too).
It's a well-known fact that one doesn't preclude the other and that this is a common argument from would-be gate keepers intent on keeping those, less experienced and/or fit than themselves, from enjoying better equipment than themselves, all on the grounds that they haven't "earned it."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-13-21, 09:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

hey there

sorry if I’ve offended or wrongly posted.

I just sensed that the original poster was concentrating more on the perceived lighter weight of carbon v other materials whereas my decision to get a carbon bike was based on its stiffness and ability to suck up road vibration.

I also have a 1996 aluminium Rock Lobster Expert MTB that I’ve been proud to own all these years and i bought it new at £1,200.00 back in the day. It weighs around 10.9 kg (24 lbs) and is as fresh as the day I bought it.
Easy, there. I was making a joke. Welcome to BF.
Old 04-13-21, 09:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Carbon fiber: It's not all it's cracked up to be.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-13-21, 10:25 AM
Scottyf1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Easy, there. I was making a joke. Welcome to BF.
NP

thanks for the welcome 🙂
Old 04-13-21, 10:57 AM
Scottyf1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's a well-known fact that one doesn't preclude the other and that this is a common argument from would-be gate keepers intent on keeping those, less experienced and/or fit than themselves, from enjoying better equipment than themselves, all on the grounds that they haven't "earned it."
Hi WhyFi

i wasn’t making such an argument but merely stating that with the poster being fearful of carbon (especially since his intention was to purchase a cheap Chinese Carbon bike) that perhaps aluminium might be the best choice
for him if he couldn’t afford a brand bike.

I did also suggest a 2nd hand Carbon might be a better option.

I personally dont hold with any position that alludes to individuals having to “earn” the right to ride any bike they choose to and despite the fact that I’m riding a 2nd hand 11 year old bike (albeit a classic) I would buy a tricked up super bike tomorrow if I could afford it.

as I’ve said to a previous response to me (albeit he later got back to say he was teasing me) I did not set out to offend or patronise anyone.

regards

Scott
Old 04-13-21, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Lol - OP deleted all of his posts in the thread (except for one that he presumably missed). Dunno why, it's not like they weren't already quoted up, down, and all around the thread. *shrug*
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-13-21, 12:16 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Well, OP did ask that the thread be closed. Good times on BF!
Old 04-13-21, 12:53 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Well, OP did ask that the thread be closed. Good times on BF!
On the other hand, it might be more useful to make it a Sticky.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-13-21, 03:15 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
this is what the 42 is all about

*EDIT Or 41. whatever.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 04-13-21 at 03:16 PM. Reason: pay attention to the thread. stay on topic.
Old 04-13-21, 03:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Just when we thought we were getting out, it pulls us back in. Now we spend 10 pages arguing 41 vs road forum with a side of Doug Adams. Get your popcorn while it's hot, folks!
Old 04-13-21, 03:36 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
A gold brick wrapped in carbon fiber that matches the motorbike.
Old 04-13-21, 04:14 PM
Scottyf1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey

I wonder if the OP gave up and went out and bought a Skateboard (BTW - that’s not an invite to restart the thread on the merits of a carbon board v polypropylene v wood 😂😂&#128514........
Likes For Scottyf1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.