Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Has Electra axed the Fat Tire ?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 08:19 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts

I went checking Electra’s lineup hoping to find they had brought back the Ghostrider and can’t find the 7d Fat Tire .
Glad I got mine when I did .
What’s next ? The Straight 8 ?
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-25-20, 08:42 AM
dark_n_stormy

Bikes: Electra 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I spoke to them last week and they said they did not have an ETA on the 7DFT - didnt confirm if it was dead or not. What a time for MASSIVE cruiser shortages....just crazy.
Old 01-31-21, 09:42 AM
OldCruiser

Well , it’s 2021 and the Lux 7D FatTire is still missing from from Electra’s online catalog .
So, I’m guessing, it’s been discontinued.
Sad .
Old 02-15-21, 02:09 AM
lovecraftXIX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow that's nice
Likes For lovecraftXIX:
Old 02-15-21, 06:48 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Very cool bike OP.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 03-09-21, 07:41 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I hope they bring back the Cruiser Lux Fat Tire 7D. I just missed a deal on a used one locally.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 04-20-21, 12:31 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I really liked the look of the Electra Fat Tire bike with the cruiser look and the disk brakes, but since it looks like it may be gone for now. I really like my Cruiser 7D but wanting to try a fat tire and knowing the limitations of the 7 speeds I just ordered a Dolomite ALX. Its gotten really good reviews and with a few extra lower gears may fit my slower riding style on the rougher terrain where I live.

It looks fun.

Likes For JehD:
Old 04-20-21, 05:14 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD
I really liked the look of the Electra Fat Tire bike with the cruiser look and the disk brakes, but since it looks like it may be gone for now. I really like my Cruiser 7D but wanting to try a fat tire and knowing the limitations of the 7 speeds I just ordered a Dolomite ALX. Its gotten really good reviews and with a few extra lower gears may fit my slower riding style on the rougher terrain where I live.

It looks fun.

I’ve almost bought one of those several times . I look forward to your opinion of it .
Old 04-20-21, 12:20 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
I’ve almost bought one of those several times . I look forward to your opinion of it .
I’m looking forward to it as well. While not a true cruiser like I said, It’s comparison to the Electra might be fair as they are at a similar price point and similar build.
Likes For JehD:
Old 04-22-21, 01:58 PM
OldCruiser

I’m looking forward to it as well. While not a true cruiser like I said, It’s comparison to the Electra might be fair as they are at a similar price point and similar build.
Wish we lived closer , I’d sell you mine and buy myself a Specialized Sirrus .
My FatTire Lux , mostly sits it the garage except for an occasional ride up the neighborhood and back . Probably doesn’t have more than a couple hundred miles on it , if that .
Its too big to carry around on my bike rack . I was extra careful bringing it home from the bike shop when I bought it .
Old 04-22-21, 02:03 PM
JehD

Wish we lived closer , I’d sell you mine and buy myself a Specialized Sirrus .
My FatTire Lux , mostly sits it the garage except for an occasional ride up the neighborhood and back . Probably doesn’t have more than a couple hundred miles on it , if that .
Its too big to carry around on my bike rack . I was extra careful bringing it home from the bike shop when I bought it .

Damn, if I had know. With the bike shortages you shouldn't have too hard a time selling it.

I built a special carrier for the bed of my truck. A 2x4 fits in a pocket in the bed liner and I bolted a fork mount to it. Ill probably need a second one (one for each side of the fork) for the fattie,
Old 04-22-21, 02:17 PM
OldCruiser

Damn, if I had know. With the bike shortages you shouldn't have too hard a time selling it.

I built a special carrier for the bed of my truck. A 2x4 fits in a pocket in the bed liner and I bolted a fork mount to it. Ill probably need a second one (one for each side of the fork) for the fattie,
I’m not trying to sell it . It’s just if I ran across someone wanting one , I’d let it go to somebody that would ride it more .
I mostly ride my Mountain bikes and my old Schwinn Cross bikes .
Heck the Electra Cruiser ones only get ridden maybe once every couple of months . Usually right after I change something on them and I’ll ride them for a couple rides before parking them in the garage .
It’s just a rotation I go through .
I have nine bikes that are rideable at anytime except for adding a little air .
Right now I’m into lightweight geared bikes . Something easy on the knees and legs.
Old 04-22-21, 05:55 PM
JehD

I Something easy on the knees and legs.
Thats part of the reason for the Fatty. While the 7D has a fairly low gear unless I pack it up and take it to town or to the city the back roads are a little rougher and I want a little lower gearing. These things are slow and that's fine.

My knees and ankles are in rough shape and get sore walking but I can pedal fine as long as I have some gearing.
Likes For JehD:
Old 04-22-21, 06:52 PM
OldCruiser

Thats part of the reason for the Fatty. While the 7D has a fairly low gear unless I pack it up and take it to town or to the city the back roads are a little rougher and I want a little lower gearing. These things are slow and that's fine.

My knees and ankles are in rough shape and get sore walking but I can pedal fine as long as I have some gearing.
I’ve swapped out the rear cog on my single speeds to a 24 tooth . I spin out between 9-10 mph , but that’s fast enough for me .
Most of my geared bikes now have a low tooth count single chainring and around 11-32 or 12-34 rear cassette.
The Fat Tire Lux is geared pretty low . It’s easy to pedal ,even with the big tires .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 04-23-21, 10:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
I purchased a used, steel SS Dahon vintage folder with coaster brake, which is my current "cruiser". As above, it's good for 10 - 14 mph and geared for anything needed (mostly parks with my granddaughter). If I needed fat tires, the Mongoose Dolomite ALX fat bike ($499 @ Wally's) looks good.
Old 04-25-21, 07:53 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by 2old
I purchased a used, steel SS Dahon vintage folder with coaster brake, which is my current "cruiser". As above, it's good for 10 - 14 mph and geared for anything needed (mostly parks with my granddaughter). If I needed fat tires, the Mongoose Dolomite ALX fat bike ($499 @ Wally's) looks good.

I dont thinks there is a need for a fat tire it’s more of a want. Lol. I’ve cruised on the bike paths in town and my cruiser will go 18-20 on the pavement but most of the paths near the house I’m limited to 6-7 mph. The paths are just in rough shape.

Im thinking the tires will just roll over the terrain and with the lower gearing it will make it a fun ride. I feel I’m beating my cruiser up a bit and this is built a little bit beefier for my usage.

It should be he in the next day or so and I’ll get to ride it this week and I’ll report back before I make any changes.

I know the stem is too long, the grips and pedals are really cheap and it looks like the brake levers are pretty cheap. I have a set of Shimano levers I put on my 7D and I think I’ll swap those over.

Last edited by JehD; 04-26-21 at 08:53 PM.