Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

nicely designed chain tensioner for bottom tubes ?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 02:37 PM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

My bottom tube is 2 inches in diameter and I wish I could find a quality component that would raise the chain a bit to help clear obstructions and
minimize chain jumps off the timing sprockets.

Any supplier suggestions or ideas before I try to modify one from a motorcycle ?
Old 10-30-20, 10:56 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Most (all?) high end tandems have an eccentric front bottom bracket to tension the timing chain. Lower end tandems often use an idler pulley on the boom tube. It sounds like you’re looking for a high end idler pulley. Check out the selection from T-Cycle.
https://t-cycle.com/collections/chai...on-idler-mount

https://t-cycle.com/collections/idle...ower-idler-kit
Old 10-30-20, 11:48 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question. Are you looking to gain a considerable amount of chain to ground clearance below your timing chain? If you're looking to raise the timing chain by a marginal amount, one system that would likely help is one manufactured by da Vinci. Their timing rings consist of 34T rings, so they're considerably smaller in diameter compared to many other standard timing rings. It does require a square taper system, though. As noted above, the idler units appear to be a possible solution as well, but I can't say that I've ever tried them.

https://www.davincitandems.com/components/
Old 10-31-20, 12:54 PM
Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We’re in our 31st year of riding a tandem and we have yet to have a timing chain “jump off” the timing chainrings.” Do you not have an eccentric bottom bracket to keep the proper chain tension? What tandem model do you own?

Last edited by Joint Venture; 11-01-20 at 02:40 PM.