Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage Thumby: Identify & Assembly Drawing?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-21, 02:28 PM
gazman22

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 39 Posts

Hello,

Trying to save these thumbies. I believe I have all the parts but could use a assembly drawing to ensure proper order of internal washers. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary

Old 03-21-21, 04:56 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
That sure looks like these Suntour XC thumbies. Suntour XC MTB 3x6-spd Index / Friction Thumb Shifters / NOS Vintage- for sale online | eBay Dont know where to find the manual or blow- up diagram but you may have better luck searching or check YouTube videos.
Old 03-21-21, 05:00 PM
gazman22

Thanks!
Old 03-21-21, 07:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Since indexed shifters are not really thought of as being serviceable (campy excluded) the need for service diagrams is somewhat moot. Good luck. Andy
Old 03-21-21, 07:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'd lay out the various parts on my workbench in order as I disassembled them. A more techie person, I suppose, would take photographs during the disassembly process. Have you considered what you have to lose if you do it wrong?
Old 03-21-21, 09:15 PM
gazman22

unfortunately I got these disassembled. I think I have found a reasonable image that shows the assembly. I will give it a go. And yes, I do not have much to loose. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-21-21, 09:18 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Since indexed shifters are not really thought of as being serviceable (campy excluded) the need for service diagrams is somewhat moot. Good luck. Andy
Those are highly servicable. Same with the early indexed Shimano 600 SIS system and Dura Ace downtube shifters. The only thing is there is a notched washer that is prone to wear and you won't find replacement parts. But chances are good you could take apart that assembly, clean, remove corrosion, lubracate and re-assemble and it will improve, They're very simple, just pay attention to the parts and you disassemble it. It's the Shimano integrated road bike shifters that aren't servicable.
Old 03-22-21, 07:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Those are highly servicable. Same with the early indexed Shimano 600 SIS system and Dura Ace downtube shifters. The only thing is there is a notched washer that is prone to wear and you won't find replacement parts. But chances are good you could take apart that assembly, clean, remove corrosion, lubracate and re-assemble and it will improve, They're very simple, just pay attention to the parts and you disassemble it. It's the Shimano integrated road bike shifters that aren't servicable.
Shimano and SunTour, IME, never made service parts available for the shifter pod internals. You mention the (perhaps) most common need, the brass colored toothed washer under the Shimano lever's cover and bolt head, on their DT shifters. I never saw these listed or separate of the complete lever. Sure some have taken apart and reassembled indexed pods from (at least) Shimano. This forun has had a number of threads on this aspect before. But when you talk with the company people (at the bike shows or over the phone with the tech support) and they say the indexed pods are not to be serviced and they won't do that work either, one gets the impression that they don't intend to offer after purchase parts and service help.

But the shifters are now the OP's so they can do whatever they wish to. The question was about seeking docs to help with taking apart and reassembling, and it's my suggestion that the companies had no business reason to offer such. Andy
Old 03-22-21, 08:21 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Not the OP's exact model but possibly the same innards. euphras´s thoughts on (technical) things: How to touch up vintage SunTour index control thumbshifters
Old 03-22-21, 10:27 AM
gazman22

Yes that was the site I found that I am using for reference. The FD side I will wing it. We will see if I get indexing working again....fi not I will be OK with friction.