Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Parts Questions (on a Dawes SST al)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 12:55 AM
rbpanaligan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm about to order a Dawes SST AL fixed gear bike.

I would like to replace the handlebars and get something less aggressive such as bull horns or risers. Does any handlebars fit the SST or are there specific sizes? Would getting horns or risers feel comfortable still? Any recommendations?

Also, would i have to get a new brake system for the SST since i'd be switching handlebar designs? What would i have to replace? What are good budget options for brakes?

I was thinking of getting a new crankset and clipless pedals. Is the origin 8 brand any good?

Is there some sort of guide for upgrading fixies?

Last edited by rbpanaligan; 01-28-11 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-28-11, 01:04 AM
fixedgear80

Bikes: 80"s Raleigh Comp 48X18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the steel Dawes from BD You can thanks me later!
Old 01-28-11, 01:05 AM
mroberts940

Bikes: Motobecane Track 58cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any 26.0 mm bars will fit. most bars are 26.0 mm standard, but make sure before you order anything.

as far as the origin8 cranksets go, they're low-end, budget cranksets so you're gonna get what you pay for with them. they're probably not all that better than the stock crankset on the sst. i'd recommend spending a bit more money on a crankset, since it's going to take a beating probably. look at the fsa giomondi track, sram courier and sugino messenger cranksets and see if they're in your price range.
Old 01-28-11, 01:06 AM
mroberts940

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, as far as bar comfort goes it's really a matter of personal preference. nitto makes some nice bullhorns, but there's several different types. something like the rb-018 is a pretty standard out and up bullhorn, whereas the rb-021 has a drop to it.

it's really just a matter of finding what bar style fits your riding the best.
Old 01-28-11, 01:10 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedgear80
Get the steel Dawes from BD You can thanks me later!
Can you elaborate?
Old 01-28-11, 01:20 AM
fixedgear80

Bikes: 80"s Raleigh Comp 48X18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry. That really didn't help anyone out? I was thinking the Steel frame would ride better?
Old 01-28-11, 01:26 AM
rbpanaligan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies.

I really would like to get bullhorns or risers because i want to be a little more upright than what the drop bars offer. Do bullhorns offer a more upright stance compared to drop bars? Would changing the handlebars mess up the geometry which in turn lead to a bad stance (i'm probably using the wrong term)?

Also, would i have to get new brakes for whichever handlebars i decide on? Which parts would i have to replace?

I'm really excited on getting my first fixed gear. I've been mountain biking for awhile now and am i excited about getting a fixed gear for commuting to school.
Old 01-28-11, 01:35 AM
mroberts940

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah, you'll be fine with whatever bars you get as long as you're riding in a position that's comfortable to you. bullhorns will be nice for commuting especially if you live in a hilly area since they're very nice for climbing. you'll have to get new TT style brake levers with bullhorns though. i.e. https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-car.../dp/B001PLUZ5I (those are carbon and pretty expensive, you can get em for around $25)

i'm not personally a fan of risers, but then again i've never really ridden them. bullhorns just offer more riding positions.

you should also note that the sst al comes with aero brake levers that offer a bullhorn-esque forward riding position. you can sorta see it here: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j5rsUB3wTI...o/s400/cc3.jpg
how he's in a more upright position, if you look at the pic of the sst al on BD you can kind of imagine how that position would work
Old 01-28-11, 01:40 AM
mroberts940

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry i keep forgetting one part of your question in every answer, but bullhorns don't really offer as much of a more upright position as they do a more forward position. if you're looking for something more an MTB riding position, risers or flat bars are probably the style for you.
Old 01-28-11, 08:11 PM
Xgecko
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm much more comfortable on Drops that I was on Bullhorns...Risers are to Tarck for me, YMMV
Old 01-28-11, 09:44 PM
am90

Bikes: IRO Angus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The drops on the sst al are fairly easy to ride upright out of the box. If you decide to swap for risers, check out local bmx shop to get another lever, all of the other brake equip will work fine. I bought one last year and the first thing I swapped was the bars to origin 8 riser. Also the cranks out the box are fsa so they are decent. But overall check around on bd and other websites. you can get a better complete for 400$.
Old 01-29-11, 09:46 AM
Edge_Walker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Dawes SST AL also.. Love it. Because the bike is so cheap I recommend getting new wheels right off the bat. https://www.wabicycles.com/GXwheels.html This is one I would recommend if your on a budget, Will knock about a pound off your bike. The FSA Vero cranks that come with it are just as good as Origin 8 cranks would be. Other than that, maybe a carbon seatpost (thats what I did) to make the ride a little smoother. I have some good old mountain bike risers on mine and they work very well for my commute.
Old 01-29-11, 02:39 PM
johnbean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Dawes SST (not AL) comes with bullhorns. So if the carbon fork isnt a big deal, go with that one.
Old 01-31-11, 03:48 PM
rbpanaligan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I take the bike to an LBS to get it assembled when it arrives or assemble it myself (havent assembled a bike)? What exactly will they do besides assemble the bike?
Old 01-31-11, 04:30 PM
Edge_Walker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbpanaligan
Should I take the bike to an LBS to get it assembled when it arrives or assemble it myself (havent assembled a bike)? What exactly will they do besides assemble the bike?
My bike came with the backwheel, crankset, chain, headset, and fork already installed. Pretty sure you only have to put the stem and frontwheel on. However, before you ride it, you definitely want to go to your LBS and get your rear cog's lockring tightened, and maybe your brakes alined.
Old 03-01-11, 09:11 PM
ddscyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate to bring back an old thread but I didn't want to start another one...

Has anyone tried putting a rear rack on this bike? I bought a sunlite rack and realized the rear width is huge and the smaller diamond tubes are interfering with a snug a fit...Any suggestions on how to make it fit?!