Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone try out the CarBack?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Anyone try out the CarBack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 07:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,087 Times in 4,737 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I do love my Garmin Varia eRTL615. I was initially looking at it for just the radar and add another rear light but the light on it is so excellent I don't think I will. I will admit currently for most of my riding in the city the actual radar beeping is a little less useful but the light pattern at the back which changes when a car comes near really is quite nice.
Yeah, in an urban setting with lots of cars, the alerts are almost useless since you have to always ride as if there are cars approaching from behind. But the variable flashing (which the Trek unit apparently lacks) is a good safety feature.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-29-24, 09:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,820 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I totally agree about the 530. Mine is ok now it's set up, but the menu system is a complete mess. It's good to know that the touchscreen units are a big improvement otherwise I would be looking elsewhere in future. But the Varia is a great product and I see them everywhere now.
The new interface works vastly better with the 840 touch-screen than the 540 button set. I have the 530 and decided not to get the 540 as it apparently is worse (DC Rainmaker review). I got the 840 for one of the kids. Why? Because I bought him the radar, and he decided he needed a head unit, not just a watch.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-05-24, 08:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 3,053 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark

Garmin's Varia products range from $99.99 (RVR315) through the same $199.99 (RTL515) price point as the TREK @ $199.99 on up to significantly higher top end RCT715 @ $349.99.

So as this for me is a foray into a newish realm, I'm willing to go with a mid-range competitor, see whether it offers anything worthwhile to my admittedly recreational biking pursuits.
Given that they are the same price, what made you pick the Trek over the Garmin 515? I would have thought the Garmin was a safer bet given it’s relatively long proven history (a 3rd gen product).
Old 05-05-24, 03:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Garmin's Varia products range from $99.99 (RVR315) through the same $199.99 (RTL515) price point as the TREK @ $199.99 on up to significantly higher top end RCT715 @ $349.99.

So as this for me is a foray into a newish realm, I'm willing to go with a mid-range competitor, see whether it offers anything worthwhile to my admittedly recreational biking pursuits.
Given that they are the same price, what made you pick the Trek over the Garmin 515? I would have thought the Garmin was a safer bet given it’s relatively long proven history (a 3rd gen product).
The second paragraph doesn't follow from the first (the first paragraph doesn't explain anything). We still have no idea why @spclark picked the Trek.

The Trek Carback isn't a "midrange" competitor (implying cheaper with less functions, I guess). It's (pretty much) equivalent to the Garmin 515 in price and function. The RVR315 and RCT715 are quite different products (though one could consider the RVR315 as a "lower range" competitor).

In any case, Trek should be an OK thing to try (even with it not having a long history).
Old 05-05-24, 03:35 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 108 Posts
...what made you pick the Trek over the Garmin 515?
Little more than that I've used other Garmin products in the past, to varying degrees of satisfaction. From what I'd read here in earlier posts I expect it to serve my modest needs. Even with hearing aids my hearing's not so good anymore so having something that provides a sense of what's coming up behind me (when I venture out onto the narrow bike lanes aside the two-lane paved highways when necessary) ought to provide a degree of safety I've been missing. I just got back 'into' biking a year ago in an area that's vastly different from what I'd experienced before moving here ten years ago. Topography's different, roads are different, there are more trucks here than cars, and fewer dedicated bike paths close by home.

​​​​​​​So I chose Trek's CB device over its competitors.

Last edited by spclark; 05-05-24 at 03:43 PM.
Likes For spclark: