Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 10-03-19, 01:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It's strange - or maybe not. While I've been having a great time on my bike, I'm getting less and less enjoyment from Bike Forums and MTBR. Just the repetition is wearing on me, I think. Carefully crafted 1000 word posts from newbies who have read too much and ridden too little asking whether they need this $300 bike or that $350 bike, neither of which they can ride before buying. I don't want to turn into Jim From Boston just reposting what I already did in order to stay in the community. On the MTB side I've watched a few fads rise and die. Some to my personal detriment, like the contraction of 27.5's market share followed by similar for 27.5+... I'm 5ft8, the tire size works great for me. Watching one company one year call their new product plush and forgiving and then 2-3 years later call that same product vague and squirmy in order to sell another new one just makes me cynical.

My improving heart health since my surgery comes and goes - and it seems like when it's bad, it's bad for a few weeks, and then it's good for a few weeks longer each time. But I still feel an obvious need for my medicine, don't expect that to ever end. Still, I'm able to ride a lot harder most of the time. I can ride harder and further, and stand on the pedals and power up a rise rather than sitting down and winching along. I've been extending my rides home a different way. While the trails I'm exploring now are objectively worse than what I was doing, they run closer to home, and if I had a problem I'd be "stranded" pretty close to light rail and home. And they're new to me, at least on a bicycle. I used to walk my dog on them all the time, 12-7 years ago. They're worse for MTB because they're made of a lot of decomposed granite with potato to baby head river rocks poking through - so much not dirt, except where it's eroded away. And there's not as much up and down.

On yesterday's ride I was headed for the blackberry patch again when I ran into a former coworker, out for a stroller stroll with his little kids (2.5 and <1 yo). He's still in the industry, just swapped employers, so we chatted about rumors mostly. That took long enough that I flipped over from there and headed home. Last night was the first Rodeocross race of the year. I've been thinking I'd like to try it but there's just no way to work it out right now with my and wife's schedule.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-03-19, 08:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Yesterday I did something dumb. I'm riding in a lot more city traffic now, with my new commute to college. I'm taking stupid risks. Yesterday, a car had to move left from the right lane to pass a parked truck. I came up from behind and tried to cut him off. Just before he squashed me, I hit my brakes, realizing how dumb I was. And I'm alive to tell the tale.

I saw a flattened pigeon on the street and a flattened rat, and a live rat ran across my path.

Today, the forecast called for lots of rain, so I thought it prudent to take the subway. And as usual, that was a bad call. The rain was light all day and would have been easy to ride in. Not only that, it cost a lot of time and trouble. Going from the college to my next destination, the first two trains were too crowded to fit any more bodies on, so I had to wait for the third. Crowds in New York City have become crazy, like never before.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-19, 08:36 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Road bike tire with replaced tube was soft again this morning. I hate it when that happens, even tho I half expected it (needs new rim tape).
Old 10-04-19, 09:34 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
More like - HOTober! Highs in the mid-90s again today and tomorrow. I believe fall weather is coming Saturday though.

A decent ride in this morning, but no other bikers out after seeing several the past couple of days.
yeah it has been a hot one. Yesterday was a good ride home even if warm.

I have installed new tires on the Salsa. I got 4995.1 miles on them the rear tire had bald spots but not anymore. New tires front and rear. I also installed a new cassette.. I had a new chain put on mid September decided to put another chain on so the cassette and chain will marry up and be happy together. Decided to put new pedals old ones from Performance had over 20k miles.. a seal had come out of one but they worked.

I hope that now the bike will be smooth and strong for my Gravel ride next weekend 91 miles!
Old 10-04-19, 10:20 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's strange - or maybe not. While I've been having a great time on my bike, I'm getting less and less enjoyment from Bike Forums and MTBR.
But if you leave these forums - who are you going to tell all that to? I rarely go to the other parts of this forum. Sometimes I'll respond or watch a thread in the commuter section, but that's about it. I'm not in touch with brands or parts enough to make recommendations to anyone.

I came in late to work today after waiting for the exterminator to do his duties. Why don't we just call them terminators?
It was definitely warmer at 10am and yet again, getting up to 90+ today. But tomorrow's high is only 70. That will be a shock.

10-4 good buddies!
Old 10-07-19, 06:18 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In the high 40's but sure didn't feel like it. No wind so actually felt warmer than last week when it was in the 50's. It's that time of year for two sets of clothes. Put on a new BB, alot quieter but turns out the pedal is making the clunk go figure.
Old 10-07-19, 09:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Weather Affects Bicycle Commuter

I know, I can hear you thinking "duh!" from way over here, but maybe it's not the way you expect.

It was a wet summer, and one of the drier Septembers on record. That apparently stressed the pecan tree in my back yard (my wife's aunt referred to pecan trees as "self-pruning."). So a "cold front" blew through Thursday night and Friday morning (cold front: high Thursday 100F, high Friday 98F). I was grabbing my cell phone Friday when I heard a loud roar with two loud thumps. Nothing in the parking lot on the side, nothing out front, out the back -- one large limb fell and was blocking the garage door. Turn around and change into work clothes, I can't get to the bike to ride to work. Walking out the back door, here comes another limb down. It was just a little one, maybe 2" diameter and 15' long (the big one turned out to be 10-12" diameter). Just a little one, but it spooked me. I didn't want to be under another one that size if it fell, so I decided to drive the car which fortunately was at home.

Worked to clear it Friday afternoon into dusk, turned on the sprinkler to try to get some water up into that tree. Finished Saturday before an afternoon rehearsal, and my wife turned the sprinkler on that afternoon. Saturday night we got a thunderstorm, more rain than we got in September.

Today? Rode the bike to work through a steady soaking rain, fairly gentle, only 0.2" per hour.

Not a bad ride. It's still 70F or so, so no rain jacket needed for temperature control. I'd forgotten what those droplets can feel like hitting my skin, though. I need to borrow someone's heater or fan to dry my wet clothes before the ride home. Funny thing, the back of my jersey and shorts were dry!
Old 10-07-19, 12:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I couldn't find my work keys this morning and made myself late looking for them. I risked riding in without them hoping they were on my desk... they were, but I missed my morning meeting.

Achy this morning. Not much of a ride. 3 day weekends with the yard apes beat me up.
Old 10-08-19, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
I was up early enough to be on time today but it was raining when I woke up so I decided I would not ride. Forty-five minutes later when I went to take a shower I checked the rain situation again and decided it was no longer raining and got myself ready to ride. I left the house in a very light sprinkle which never got to heavy. The rain is supposed to end by mid morning so the ride home will be fine.

The commute was pleasant with the temp at 61 f degrees and a light to moderate sprinkle at times.
Old 10-08-19, 07:19 AM
mgw4jc

Took the day off yesterday for my son's 18th birthday. Can't believe my oldest is 18 now.

Left 20 or so minutes late this morning and took the shorter route which saves me 3 miles or about 15 minutes. Got to work only 5 minutes late. Cloudy and much more fall like this week.
Old 10-08-19, 08:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
The mile of MUP was miserable this morning. Yesterday's cold front and rain brought down a bunch of leaves. So even though the trees barely have any yellow-green, what came down is glued on to the MUP surface, covering the cracks from roots. No way to navigate around, just hang on and push through.

Rest of the ride was pretty nice. Cool, overcast, light traffic, and I made good time.
Old 10-08-19, 08:54 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
First 40's day of the season (44). I guess summer is really over!
Old 10-08-19, 05:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I guess so. It's dark now at wake up time. It won't affect my commute til the time change.
Old 10-08-19, 06:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I’m having an off day. Not bad, just off. I am writing you from a break that I am taking on my ride home. I feel a little bit dizzy, and I’m wondering if back around three I absentmindedly took an extra blood pressure pill. When I set out on this ride, I forgot my backpack. When I set out this morning, I forgot my helmet. Just... off.
Old 10-09-19, 04:48 AM
essiemyra

A pleasant commute this am with the temp at 50 f degrees and some wind. Since it was blowing in my face on the ride in, hopefully it will be there this afternoon to push me home.
Old 10-09-19, 06:25 AM
mgw4jc

Cool and overcast fall morning. I wore a light weight long sleeve shirt for the first time since spring, but brought a short sleeve for the ride home.

Definitely darker when I leave these days.
Old 10-09-19, 07:20 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
I’m having an off day. Not bad, just off. I am writing you from a break that I am taking on my ride home. I feel a little bit dizzy, and I’m wondering if back around three I absentmindedly took an extra blood pressure pill. When I set out on this ride, I forgot my backpack. When I set out this morning, I forgot my helmet. Just... off.
I accidentally took an extra blood pressure pill one day last July. I was working on my landscape and, as you said, just felt "off". Was taking a break when it occurred to me what I'd done. Felt messed up for the rest of the day but thankfully the next day I was back to normal.

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 818:

57F, sunny with a 20 mph wind.

According to the weather, today was going to be the last "nice" day of the week until later this afternoon when the rain and snow hits. Because of the predictions of rain for my ride home, I decided to take the hybrid with fenders. However, as I was rolling it out of the garage I thought to myself, "this feels like it's rolling kinda funny." I didn't think too much of it until I got on and made it about 5 feet before figuring out the front tire was flat. About a mile from home they're doing road construction and there's no way to get through without running over tons of rocks. I'm guessing I hit a sharp one on my way home last night.

Rolled my bike back into the garage and pulled the bag off the rack. I transferred the contents of my bag into a backpack, and then hopped on the road bike. I'll just have to risk getting soaked without fenders if it does rain on the way home. My road bike is already covered in mud and dirt from last Friday's ride home in the pouring rain (which wasn't in the forecast at all) so at least if it does rain today I'm not messing up a nice clean bike.
Old 10-09-19, 08:55 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
You tell me - at least the downed trees in the MUP make for good barrier practice for CX season!

Old 10-09-19, 12:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Snow and pogies for you already. Here, the power company is doing blackouts, notionally to prevent fires, possibly in revenge for their bankruptcy, caused in no small part by their deferred maintenance causing fires
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-09-19, 12:36 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Snow and pogies for you already. Here, the power company is doing blackouts, notionally to prevent fires, possibly in revenge for their bankruptcy, caused in no small part by their deferred maintenance causing fires
It's not bad enough they poisoned people to the extent they made a movie about them starring Julia Roberts as Erin Brokovich, but they can't be bothered to take care of their **** so as to not burn down the state which is home to their customers? BRILLIANT

I'll be in the bay area and Fresno next week and Plumas County in November.... hopefully the lights stay on!!!
Old 10-09-19, 12:49 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

I'm getting less and less enjoyment from Bike Forums and MTBR. Just the repetition is wearing on me, I think. Carefully crafted 1000 word posts from newbies who have read too much and ridden too little asking whether they need this $300 bike or that $350 bike, neither of which they can ride before buying. I don't want to turn into Jim From Boston just reposting what I already did in order to stay in the community. On the MTB side I've watched a few fads rise and die. Some to my personal detriment, like the contraction of 27.5's market share followed by similar for 27.5+... I'm 5ft8, the tire size works great for me. Watching one company one year call their new product plush and forgiving and then 2-3 years later call that same product vague and squirmy in order to sell another new one just makes me cynical.
I think this is completely normal and I thing what's grating on you falls in to two unreconcilable categories:

1. Opinions on things which will be debated forever - Campy vs Shimano vs SRAM, 1x drivetrains vs. the world, Tubular vs tubeless, disc vs rim brakes (ok so maybe the world is teetering toward disc winning outright), wider tires vs skinny ones, etc etc etc - These things will be debated here for eternity, the debates will just take on different flavors.

2. Newbies who read too much and ride too little - this is the same reason bike shop owners are known for being short with customers, they have to hear the same questions and unpack the same things over and over and over... I get it, it can grate on you, in this case, you're like the bike shop owner. Each newbie doesn't know that 1,000 others came before him with the same questions.

I take frequent breaks, even though I have no where NEAR the experience you do or the knowledge you have so for you, burnout is a real thing - for me, posting goes in fits and jerks and if it isn't fun, I quit for a while.
Old 10-09-19, 05:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Lovely rides the past two days, now that it is cooling down a bit. I wore (and regretted wearing) sleeves both mornings; too many years in the Upper Midwest and now my body just makes its own heat.

This morning's ride was my 'cute commute': I saw a woman walking a Berner and then passed a kitty on the MUP. Big dogs and cats are my favorites.
Old 10-10-19, 05:21 AM
essiemyra

This morning's commute was dangerous for an opossum. The animal ran in front of my front tire then down the side of my bike and behind my back tire and back to the side of the street he came from. I am happy that I was able to avoid hitting him. Other than that it was a pleasant commute with the temp at 51 degrees.
Old 10-10-19, 07:17 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 819:

51F, rain and a 15 mph headwind. Heading home it's supposed to be 37F with rain, but at least I should have a tail wind.

Spent last night doing maintenance on my bikes. Fixed the flat front tire on my hybrid, which included installing a tire liner I bought a while back but was waiting until I had the tire off to install. Cleaned and re-waxed the chain on my road bike because it was due. Installed fenders, kick stand, light mounts and pedals on my new fat bike in preparation for the snow predicted on Friday.

Had the fat bike fall off the stand as I was working on it, so I put a nice big scratch down the top tube. I guess I got the first scratch out of the way before it gets destroyed this winter by the road chemicals.
Old 10-10-19, 01:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

@Tundra_Man maybe it's time for carbon fiber winter bikes with stainless steel chain rings

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.