Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Big rough cheap Masi frame.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 03:33 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Big rough cheap Masi frame.

I don't often check out the local used markets any more but this popped up for a very reasonable asking price.

Of course it's very rough, but what would you pay for it if you thought it might fit / had a good stash of parts? Thought you had the ability to deal with that seatpost?

Anyone recognize the tubing sticker? Anyone think they can eyeball the size, I ride a 58/60 and hope I could squeeze onto this.

I don't think i'd want to refurb it, maybe just wash / wax / build up quick SS. Or clean it up and move the frame along to someone else. I'm going to go check it out tonight but I know virtually NOTHING about Masi's , anything to look for / watch out for?

Thanks

Last edited by sauze; 01-21-14 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 03:39 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Need photos.
Old 01-21-14, 03:57 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
Need photos.
Sorry some imgur troubles, pictures should be working now.
Old 01-21-14, 04:02 PM
digger531

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well for easy starters, I can see the columbus tubing sticker and chrome forks are all the rage. It would flip well.
Old 01-21-14, 04:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...from my own experiences at judging size from photos (and also being a 59-60 guy)
that looks too big, more along the lines of about a 25" seat tube c-c if the head tube is
anything to go on. There's a lot of foreshortening distortion in that photo.

Considering the overall condition of the bike, I think that Columbus sticker is recent.
Old 01-21-14, 04:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Well I would probably consider it for $100 or less without being abel to tell just how bad the seat tube and frame without close inspection. That way if it is a bit of a dude frames wise you could strip the chrome fork of it and sell it seperately to get most if not all your money back. If the seat tube can be readily sorted out everything is strait and the paint is salvageable figure maybe $150-200. I will say from experiance that nicer rough frames like this one found at bargain prices can quickly turn into money sucking black wholes if one is not carefull.
Old 01-21-14, 07:40 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Originally Posted by wrk101
Make sure stem is not stuck. When I see frames in this shape, with the stem buried like this one, and no other parts left on it, I assume that stem is stuck (who takes the BB, the seat post, the seat post fixing bolt, makes a half a$$ attempt to pull head set but leaves it and along with the stem, etc.???). I can tell you, its stuck.
+1 I would tend to agree with you why would one who likely stripped a frameset for value parts leave a nice 50$ stem and nice headset unless the stem was stuck.
Old 01-21-14, 11:38 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Make sure stem is not stuck. When I see frames in this shape, with the stem buried like this one, and no other parts left on it, I assume that stem is stuck (who takes the BB, the seat post, the seat post fixing bolt, makes a half a$$ attempt to pull head set but leaves it and along with the stem, etc.???). I can tell you, its stuck.

Any more, I value bikes with stuck stems or posts at the value of remaining components that are NOT stuck. Since in this case, the only "extra" with this frame is a stuck stem. No value there. So in the end, its a gamble. To gamble, I want a big upside to compensate for the risk. I do not see an upside, so I would pass.
Look again, I think the seatpost is still in there too! Or what's left of it anyway. I might pay $50 for this mess, but only if I had a sure way to get the two stuck parts out. Like a machine shop for example. Any other path is bound to lead to massive frustration, destroying the frame, or trying to resell it when you get sick of trying to fix it. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-21-14, 11:48 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I thought that looked like it could be the mangled remains of a seatpost.
Old 01-22-14, 01:28 AM
zukahn1 

Yes it does that is a big part of the problems with this frame. Fully resolving this issue at best will kill have this ones value maybe more. A proffesioanl torch freeing and basic paint correction with frame fork true will likely run $150+ from a very friendly custome shop.

Last edited by zukahn1; 01-22-14 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 07:06 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Yep, remnants of seat post are in there. I have removed one like this, more as a challenge than any logical decision. It was quite a chore.

I might charge seller $150 to remove post and stem. Pay for the frame? Not a chance.
+1. Money/time pit. Might take it if I really wanted a) a Masi and b) a challenging project. However, I'd probably just wait for a better one in that size to come along and save myself the bother.

Likely the seller realized this was a money/time pit and is trying to cut losses.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 01-22-14, 08:43 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Gran Corsas I think get more market respect than the Nuova Strada, which is interesting as this was the entry frame. The Columbus transfer is original.
This should be one that had MASI as part of the Columbus graphic.
This frame is big, my guess is 63-64 cm measured center to top. At this juncture Masi USA continued the tradition of stamping the size on the bottom bracket shell. Top tube is probably 58 cm, maybe more. The frame was made in Italy by a subcontractor, not Masi of the Vigorelli.
If the chrome is good on the fork, and dent free there is some value. Depending on how you value your time this bike can be rewarding or a disappointment on return on investment.
My guess the seller values it more than the frame is really worth considering the effort required to remove the stuck stuff safely.
Paint looks beat.
$50. is probably the fork value if the chrome is good and stem out.
I say $80. total.
Old 01-22-14, 09:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Bummer about the stem/seatpost because that's just my size. Fortunately, it's not near me or I'd be tempted to quickly get in over my head and have another partially finished project sitting around.

Old 01-25-14, 09:44 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
You guys. It's a MASI! I've never lost to the seatpost or the stem.
+ PATIENCE
Cutting these things into at least 3 sections from the inside will do it. Anyone who's ever cut up a wrecked frame knows how tough even cheap bike frame steel is. Aluminum is like butter compared to that frame steel. It's probably SD columbus. Totally go for it, and clean that thing up. Trade it, sell it.