Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paceline etiquette / "Dirty" riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Paceline etiquette / "Dirty" riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 08:28 PM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichinPeoria
Today I rode in...

-Ray-Ban Wayfarers,
-Bank Giro Loterij cycling cap,
-mesh-backed half finger cycling gloves
-blue Exustar cycling shoes,
-black cycling shorts
-a t-shirt that has a cartoon picture of two dogs, one sniffing the others butt and captioned: “I HATE SINGLES BARS”.
Very stylish but it tells me what you think you're head is worth.
Old 05-31-10, 08:31 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
There is nothing worse than when the paceline has a nice flow to it, everyone is holding close to the wheel in front of them, and some idiot wants to move up a few places on the outside and then decides to point to the spot he wants to squeeze into.
+1, Other etiquette observations, it drives me crazy when someone is having a deep conversation with someone else in the pace line and constantly looks at them instead of the road or whats up ahead (especially when they have the pull position) or someone who changes lanes in a double pace line without signaling.
Old 05-31-10, 08:47 PM
sabazel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is nothing worse than when the paceline has a nice flow to it, everyone is holding close to the wheel in front of them, and some idiot wants to move up a few places on the outside and then decides to point to the spot he wants to squeeze into.
I will still check on my riding style, but this is more what I think happens, since I've spoken to some people who have been with the ride for a while and apparently it's a regular occurrence. I was just wondering what the "rules" were in a broader geographic sense, since most of the rides around here seem to have etiquette problems. I just didn't know which aspects of the rides were the "problems."
Old 05-31-10, 08:52 PM
martinus

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Donno ... did you ahve too many bean burritoes for lunch ?

Old 05-31-10, 09:19 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Sounds like the "pace line " is being run back wards. according to the op. New leaders are surging to the front from the back? I thought the leader moved over after his turn and rotated to the back, thus the #2 man is now the leader. Oh well what do I know.
op: where 's your frame pump? That will fix a lot of these rude behaviors.
Old 05-31-10, 09:20 PM
invwnut
I don't even own a cat...

Bikes: 2008 LG sonix 6.4, 2002 KHS Flite 500, 1999 Big Sur Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what sucks is when you are one of the 5-6 riders who will pull but when the ride turns up and you want to get back in the paceline, no one will let you in. They won't pull and they won't let you in.
Old 05-31-10, 09:43 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
The more I read about group ride behavior here, the less interested I am in doing a group ride. They really sound like ******bag conventions.
Old 05-31-10, 10:01 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
there are people who simply cannot deal with life until they are half a wheel in front of the next guy. Iti s so completely irratating to ride with people who cannot grow up.

I like my Ray Ban Aviators.
Old 05-31-10, 10:22 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the correct term is "passing", I believe. It's a heck of a lot easier to hold a good position when the pace jumps up when you're already in a good position. If you're towards the front, you can drop back a couple guys and still maintain a good place in line.

sometimes i think these answers are a lot simpler than a lot of BF makes them out to be...a lot of people just ride bikes because it's fun, and don't go type about them online for hours afterwards
Old 05-31-10, 10:44 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bismillah
This is what we call in the world of cycling a "rotating paceline"
"We"? It might be what you call a rotating paceline but you'd be wrong.

This is why people yell
Old 06-01-10, 01:37 AM
Jay-W

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
I gotta agree with Walter and Botto on this one, those kinds of guys are really jerks................

been on a ride where 3 guys had a reputation for doing that, and when they did, and sprinted away thinking we'd break our necks to catch up, we just turned right instead of going straight, and went another route...........
That's kind of funny.

Originally Posted by noise boy
The more I read about group ride behavior here, the less interested I am in doing a group ride. They really sound like ******bag conventions.
Some etiquette is actually there for safety. Remember choose your group wisely and you might enjoy it.

Last edited by Jay-W; 06-01-10 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-01-10, 05:33 AM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sabazel
I will still check on my riding style, but this is more what I think happens, since I've spoken to some people who have been with the ride for a while and apparently it's a regular occurrence. I was just wondering what the "rules" were in a broader geographic sense, since most of the rides around here seem to have etiquette problems. I just didn't know which aspects of the rides were the "problems."
Yell at them to get the f to the back of the line.
Or talk to them at a break and let them know their lack of group riding skills are screwing up the ride.
This stuff is never tolerated on the fast ride, and for good reason.

Originally Posted by invwnut
what sucks is when you are one of the 5-6 riders who will pull but when the ride turns up and you want to get back in the paceline, no one will let you in. They won't pull and they won't let you in.
I don't understand. Why should anyone who's holding a wheel let another rider in? Fall to the back, or jump in where a gap's opened.
I'll do it from time to time, let another rider in, but it's usually a courtesy I extend to the regulars who know how to ride.... and without jerking the brakes so as not to screw up the ride behind me..... Or when there's a Car Back.
Old 06-01-10, 06:05 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand. Why should anyone who's holding a wheel let another rider in? Fall to the back, or jump in where a gap's opened.
I'll do it from time to time, let another rider in, but it's usually a courtesy I extend to the regulars who know how to ride.... and without jerking the brakes so as not to screw up the ride behind me..... Or when there's a Car Back.
I think what invwunt is saying that only the front 5-6 are taking turns doing the work at the front. Then when it really gets fast, they won't let you back in but won't pull through and do any work either so it breaks the paceline and the faster guys have to ride around the now slower, non-working pack at the front. The paceline reforms with the faster, working riders, and the slower pack is now often gapped.

At normal speeds, they allow a gap for the workers to tuck back into, but when it gets heated, you're looking over your shoulder and dropping back, looking for a break. If I go about a dozen deep, and still no luck, I'll usually gun it back to the front and join the faster workers and really try to bury it for a bit. This usually shakes the hangers on ... off.
Old 06-01-10, 06:08 AM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!
If that's the case it's time to yell at the offenders.
Old 06-01-10, 06:48 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are teammates, then the paceline should be smooth. The riders should be calling out "last" as they pull through. So if it is a clock-wise double breasted rotation, the guy in the right rear quadrant should be pulling left to follow the wheel then calls out 'last' as he passes the guy on his left.
As you pull through you (and only you) are in charge of your front wheel. You soft pedal as you pull through to the fogline (whiteline)
So you accelerate through the rotation then keep the speed or slow a tad bit after the pull. This is trickier on slight inclines or declines.

Gaps can happen as road hazards are called out. You can keep a steady pace with this.

However guys who don't work together, and want to turn it into a slugfest will behave differently and try to drop you at every chance and accelerate out of turns and stops. This racer mentality only serves to be a ride of individuals, not of teammates. Testosterone takes over and riders can get strung out all over the place.

There are smooth riders who you can ride behind/beside/in front of all day long and then there are the ones who will tear it up.
On a group ride... there is nothing that states you have to chase down everything.

The mob rules. If a guy or guys want to tear off the front..... you can let them go. You don't have to chase.
Old 06-01-10, 06:50 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All group rides are a bit different, this doesn't sound like a very organized ride though. If the ride is really rotating the front then there should be no other riders moving through the line unless there is a sprint or gapping going on. If you are holding the wheel of someone then why let someone move in? Many group rides though don't follow an organized rotation it is just a peloton with stronger riders moving to the front and weaker riders staying protected and holding on. In those rides you can have people moving up on both sides of you and you better be able to hold a line and a wheel. Both are fun but quite different.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-01-10, 07:00 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
my guess is that you're either squirrely, or not as fast as you think you are.

that's dickish behavior by the people who carried on.

as long as you make sure to direct it away from those next/behind you, spitting isn't a problem.
this, plus consider the length of your pulls. you might be on the front too long and while you think you're throwing down a good pace, are slowing down too much in reality.
Old 06-01-10, 07:29 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bismillah
This is what we call in the world of cycling a "rotating paceline"
you obviously don't know anything about riding in a paceline, or even what a paceline is.
Old 06-01-10, 07:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
i ride with one guy who always lets a little too much of a gap open up. consequently everyone is always trying to jump him.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-01-10, 11:30 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in an aggressive ride or racing if there is a gap on the descending line, i will jump into it. this does two things: gives me more rest and gaps the guy behind me so he gets more beat up.
Old 06-01-10, 12:54 PM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this summary of etiquette and good practices some years ago. It helped me understand the dynamics of this type of riding and what would and would not be a safe and/or courteous practice.

I wish I had a reference but FWIW, always be sure that everybody is following the same set of practices - i.e. response to traffic signs and signals, railroad tracks, voice/hand signals, alerting others to potential changes in speed (standing for sure) etc. Watch for the accordion effect. This nailed me once with a bad fall and broken collarbone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Paceline Etiquette..pdf (35.5 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by billallbritten; 06-01-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 02:04 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show up to our local weekly rides with TT bars and you'll either be asked to ride off the back or set the pace alone on the front. Even very experienced TT riders I don't trust in the middle of our pace lines if they are even remotely indicating they are heading to the aero bars.

All sounds to me like they don't trust you in the pack, and therefore would rather be in front.
Old 06-01-10, 03:03 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outta curiosity, what constitutes a "gap" and should it vary between different groups? I'm a newbie, but the biggest gap I would see on the rides I've done is maybe a little over half a bike length, and lots of times that's when somebody is yakking and not paying attention or is a little toasted.
Old 06-01-10, 03:40 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by noise boy
They feel like that at first, but no matter how fast you think you are, a fast group will kill you. Your fitness will improve to a level that is virtually (basically impossible) without group riding. Even having my much faster oldest brother pull me ( just the 2 of us) jacks up my fitness. What is nuts, is that you have to hit certain "speeds" to improve.What I am trying to say, is that group riding with all it's "faults" is required if you want to be really fit.

I remember my first group rides, they called me "Frankenstein" because I would mash these stupid big gears on the rollers and mess up the line ( and the big gear mash came from inexperience, not strength!). A few weeks later, they had someone else to pick on. That's cycling.

I have not been in a group bigger than 3-4 for the last few years (busy at work) but now that I have dedicated more time to cycling, I have to get back in the bigger rides. I am not looking forward to it, but it has to be done.
Old 06-01-10, 04:16 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
They feel like that at first, but no matter how fast you think you are, a fast group will kill you. Your fitness will improve to a level that is virtually (basically impossible) without group riding. Even having my much faster oldest brother pull me ( just the 2 of us) jacks up my fitness. What is nuts, is that you have to hit certain "speeds" to improve.What I am trying to say, is that group riding with all it's "faults" is required if you want to be really fit.

I remember my first group rides, they called me "Frankenstein" because I would mash these stupid big gears on the rollers and mess up the line ( and the big gear mash came from inexperience, not strength!). A few weeks later, they had someone else to pick on. That's cycling.

I have not been in a group bigger than 3-4 for the last few years (busy at work) but now that I have dedicated more time to cycling, I have to get back in the bigger rides. I am not looking forward to it, but it has to be done.
The instant anything related to cycling "has to be done" despite it's negatives is the last day I do it. I have an extremely high stress job that consumes about 80 hours a week on a slow week and I get to deal with arrogant *******s all day long (musical artists), cycling is something I do to stay in shape and spend time doing something I enjoy, if I stop enjoying it, I will stop doing it.

Last edited by noise boy; 06-01-10 at 04:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.