Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

News flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 10:56 AM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
News flash

Need the number to the New York Times the bride wants to go on a bike ride.Better go before she changes her mind.2nd time this year!!
Old 09-30-18, 05:32 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Better get out there!
Old 10-01-18, 04:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Need the number to the New York Times the bride wants to go on a bike ride.Better go before she changes her mind.2nd time this year!!
Soooooo, how did things go??? Was it or
Old 10-01-18, 02:43 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rode along the waterfront for 50 minutes then her sore knee kicked in.Which reminded us about the knee replacement that is due.I thought it was a ploy for dinner or ice cream.I got off the hook when my daughter called and invited us for dinner.I did have to buy some mums and pumpkins now that I think of it.Looks like I was Scammed again.
Old 10-02-18, 02:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
a little fresh air does wonders for freshening up an old marriage, I always say ...
Old 10-03-18, 02:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
My wife refuses to ride any hills. About a month ago, she asked if I knew any places locally where she could ride, and I realized I did know of a trail that has virtually no hills. So we went out and rode it on Sunday.

Takeaway was that I need to tune up her bike
Old 10-04-18, 10:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
My wife refuses to ride any hills. About a month ago, she asked if I knew any places locally where she could ride, and I realized I did know of a trail that has virtually no hills. So we went out and rode it on Sunday.

Takeaway was that I need to tune up her bike
My wife rides a bit. She has a bike in the city and two bikes at our country home. She also rides short trips on Citi Bike. But she doesn't have much stamina, and she's not so great on hills. We ride hilly roads upstate but she has limits. She will ride certain hills but not others. We also have a tandem up there which we sometimes ride. My goal is that it will equalize us. It hasn't improved her stamina much, but it spends my stamina faster.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-18, 07:33 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My wife rides a bit. She has a bike in the city and two bikes at our country home. She also rides short trips on Citi Bike. But she doesn't have much stamina, and she's not so great on hills. We ride hilly roads upstate but she has limits. She will ride certain hills but not others. We also have a tandem up there which we sometimes ride. My goal is that it will equalize us. It hasn't improved her stamina much, but it spends my stamina faster.
I rode a tandem with my wife one year. Twice a week. Trouble is, after about 2 miles she was just dead weight and never worked to get better. Why should she when she got to see all the scenery for free? That fall I was in the best shape ever!
Old 10-04-18, 08:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My wife and I have been riding together the forty years we've been together and she's been my stoker for 18 years. Riding the tandem a lot more in recent years since I stopped working weekends and she cut way back on her weekend work. Lots of club rides and rides from home have helped us get in 1000+ tandem miles annually the last few years. I ride a lot more than that but she figured out at some point that our tandem riding works better if she does at least of couple of solo training rides weekly. People still tell me that "she's not pedaling" but I can feel the power.
Old 10-05-18, 07:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
My wife contributes as much as she can. She's not lazy. But she's not very strong, either. But it's nice for her that most of the time, she can put in the amount of effort she wants. I actually don't want her to work hard, because my hope is to extend her stamina. I like longer rides than she does.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.