Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

105 vs Ultegra. Is it worth $300 more for Ultegra?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

105 vs Ultegra. Is it worth $300 more for Ultegra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 09:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
My last build I went with full r8000 ultegra mechanical, but swapped out the brakes for Velo Orange grand cru to allow for more than 28mm tire clearance....

as there are not enough bike pics in this forum, here is how it looks

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-18-23, 05:38 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Here is my build with Ultegra R8000 and Psimet wheels:

Likes For datlas:
Old 07-18-23, 06:27 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The point is fear mongering. Or someone just doesn't realize that plenty of solid cranks have broken also.
But in this case, we have history - Ultegra/Dura cranks have been failing enough for websites to be started and youtubers making videos on the subject - calling out Shimano to step up and fix the issue. This indicates a problem with design/construction, and failures occur at a higher than normal rate. This is more than 1 off failures, and these are high dollar items.

Multiple composite experts have created decent videos about the cause of the failures - and its a clear design flaw.

Where the same generation 105 cranks don't have this problem.

For me, the extra $$ for the cranks, and the zero to min performance gains you get from the 2oz weight savings - is absolutely not worth the money.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 07-18-23, 06:37 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ultegra shifters and derailleurs.
Praxis crank.
TRP R879 brakes or Ultegra brakes.

Mix for the best setup.
That is pretty much my drivetrain that I used when I built up my Ross. I used Grand Cru brakes because I needed mid reach on that frame..Pretty sold drivetrain combination..John
Old 07-18-23, 06:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I believe Hollowtech refers to the hollow axle and not the crankarns.

Of course, I could be mistaken….
You're mistaken.
Old 07-18-23, 07:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
But in this case, we have history - Ultegra/Dura cranks have been failing enough for websites to be started and youtubers making videos on the subject - calling out Shimano to step up and fix the issue. This indicates a problem with design/construction, and failures occur at a higher than normal rate. This is more than 1 off failures, and these are high dollar items.

Multiple composite experts have created decent videos about the cause of the failures - and its a clear design flaw.

Where the same generation 105 cranks don't have this problem.

For me, the extra $$ for the cranks, and the zero to min performance gains you get from the 2oz weight savings - is absolutely not worth the money.
We have lots of history of solid cranks failing too. Some where poor quality control issues that could be corrected by better manufacturing methods and the manufacturers did so. Some where design flaws and couldn't be corrected.

For y'all to be saying it's a design flaw is a little early I think. Proper glue bonds are strong enough whether you want to believe that or not. It might just be a occasional issue on the assembly line. And the number of confirmed failures is still extremely low.
Old 07-18-23, 07:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
The only R7000 105 component that I think is a bit dubious are the pedals with the plastic bearing housings. Having said that they still go the distance without causing any real world problems - just a tiny bit of play. But I do prefer DuraAce pedals because of this. Ultegra pedals are probably somewhere in between.

I think R7000 105 is hard to significantly improve on unless you go electronic. $300 is not an unreasonable upgrade cost for Ultegra, but mostly for badge honour. I can't see any practical difference and don't try to convince me that 174g weight saving makes any odds. Shimano/SRAM/Campag have done very well to cultivate these extreme diminishing returns on their higher level groups. Some people are more than happy to spend the cash for very little practical return and mainly for the cache of Ultegra and especially DuraAce on a high end bike. That's not a criticism, just a recognition that hobby purchases are not always rational.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-18-23, 07:31 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Get the ultegra. Because YOU are worth owning the upgrade.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-18-23, 08:13 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Breezer1971
After test driving the bike with the Shimano 105 di2 I was sold. No going back to mechanical for me.
105 di2 offers widest gear range also, if that matters. (Where I ride it does matter.)
Old 07-18-23, 09:23 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I’m always in the low to mid level with shifters and derailleurs (2x Centaur, Rival, Tiagra) they shift as well as their better counterparts but don’t cost as much. I’m also not to big on groups as a whole so I use different makers for cranks and brakes.

if you’re going to keep the bike I can’t think of a good reason not to buy Ultegra.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-18-23, 09:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by smd4
You're mistaken.
I am willing to be wrong. I do it all the time, ask my wife!

That said, I was looking for some type of proof or evidence whether "Hollowtech" refers to the hollow crankarms or the the hollow axle, and could not really find any. Maybe it's both??
Old 07-18-23, 09:34 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by datlas
That said, I was looking for some type of proof or evidence whether "Hollowtech" refers to the hollow crankarms or the the hollow axle, and could not really find any. Maybe it's both??
It's both now. But it developed with hollow crankarms.

Shimano released the 7700 series in 1996, succeeding in achieving both high rigidity and an approximately 500 g weight reduction of the entire components series by introducing the HOLLOWTECH crankset with hollow crank arms.
Emphasis added.

Shimano History
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-18-23, 09:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

It's both now. But it developed with hollow crankarms.

Emphasis added.

Shimano History
Got it. Thanks.
Old 07-18-23, 11:50 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Get the ultegra over the105, even though I would have prefered a mechnical ultegra, I am not fond of the new sti design nor the cranks design or the derailleur design. About reliability that must be seen over the very long term.

Last edited by georges1; 07-18-23 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-18-23, 12:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
We have lots of history of solid cranks failing too. Some where poor quality control issues that could be corrected by better manufacturing methods and the manufacturers did so. Some where design flaws and couldn't be corrected.

For y'all to be saying it's a design flaw is a little early I think. Proper glue bonds are strong enough whether you want to believe that or not. It might just be a occasional issue on the assembly line. And the number of confirmed failures is still extremely low.
I am pretty sure that everyone who has had a bonded crank arm fail, and broke ribs or sliced skin or is scabbed over from slamming into pavement would argue that the failure rate should be 0.
Nobody that I have seen in pictures of the delaminated crank arms looks like they are crushing it with watts and a crankarm should be an incredibly strong and stiff part of the bike.

You claim its too early to say its a design flaw, then offer up an unsubstantiated guess that its a production flaw. Ok, regardless of where the flaw is occurring- it really shouldnt occur at all. Just make it(design and production) strong enough to not split apart in a catastrophic manner.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-18-23, 01:02 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

It's occuring way too often to be one-off failures. Look here:
https://www.instagram.com/thanksshimano/?hl=en
You can see pages and pages of pictures of these cranks breaking. Some people broke two in a row: https://carlinthecyclist.com/epic-fa...1-speed-crank/
Bikeradar has written about it and Hambini has a fairly comprehensive analysis of it as well.
This guy has six of these broken cranks:
Must be 6 isolated incidents, right?
I can't understand how on this forum some people are scared to death of carbon assploding on them, and yet when faced with the very well documented and known failure mode on these cranksets, people could just bury their heads in the sand and think it's worth taking a chance on something that can fail and put your face in the dirt in an instance.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-18-23, 01:41 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I can't understand how on this forum some people are scared to death of carbon assploding on them, and yet when faced with the very well documented and known failure mode on these cranksets, people could just bury their heads in the sand and think it's worth taking a chance on something that can fail and put your face in the dirt in an instance.
Agreed. I must say, I haven't seen too many Instagram posts or YouTube videos focused on the failure of my DA 7700 cranks...Or many others. This should definitely be of concern for people who run these afflicted cranksets.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-18-23, 01:51 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

You can see pages and pages of pictures of these cranks breaking. Some people broke two in a row: https://carlinthecyclist.com/epic-fa...1-speed-crank/
Bikeradar has written about it and Hambini has a fairly comprehensive analysis of it as well.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXKRZ7aO...RlODBiNWFlZA==
This happened when shimano transitionned to four arms cranks with the Dura Ace 9000-9100 and Ultegra 6800/6870 -8000/8050, I don't know if the 105 5800-7000 is affected by this flaw. I am glad that I stick to Dura Ace 7700-7800 which have 5 arms crank and which don't have these problems. But at the price of what a high end group costs , it is a shame to see such manufacturing flaws happened. Remedy to this buy an earlier Ultegra 6600-6700 or an earlier Dura Ace 7800-7900 and you won't have those issues and are 5 arms cranks.Other possibility is to put a FSA or Vision crank
Likes For georges1:
Old 07-18-23, 01:57 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Agreed. I must say, I haven't seen too many Instagram posts or YouTube videos focused on the failure of my DA 7700 cranks...Or many others. This should definitely be of concern for people who run these afflicted cranksets.
the da7700 and da 7800 never had failures unlike the latest ones. Maybe the manufacturing process hasbeen cheapened ?? The newer cranks doesn't seem to be forget but glued . That is why I stay away from anything new whether 11speed or 12 speed.
Old 07-18-23, 02:16 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by georges1
the da7700 and da 7800 never had failures unlike the latest ones. Maybe the manufacturing process hasbeen cheapened ?? The newer cranks doesn't seem to be forget but glued . That is why I stay away from anything new whether 11speed or 12 speed.
The 7700 at least were welded, and then polished to appear as one piece. Don't know about the 7800s. The cranks that have failed were glued together.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-18-23, 02:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXKRZ7aO...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Well I'm not scared to death of carbon assploding. I ride a CF bike. And I'm not burying my head, but so far the issue hasn't gotten to the level that would force a recall or any safety advisory here in the USA. So until there gets to be a proven attempt by Shimano to cover up and ignore the issue, I'm not going to be bad mouthing Ultegra or DuraAce cranks. They seem to do well in the pro tours. I've seen chains break in the tours, but no cranks have broken. Even SRAM has some instances of their newer cranks breaking. But no one seems concerned with them.

Your pages and pages of pictures, many just more pics of the same crank don't really amount to anything but a teeny tiny fraction of all the Ultegra and DuraAce cranks out there today.

Sure, in a perfect world there should be no failures, but that ain't happening.
Old 07-18-23, 02:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts

Once you get past 2, you're doing something out of the ordinary. If you get to 6, you're doing something intentional.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-18-23, 03:21 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Once you get past 2, you're doing something out of the ordinary. If you get to 6, you're doing something intentional.
yes that seems a little strange or actually a lot strange.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-18-23, 03:21 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
for the record I went with the Ultegra thanks all who responded with input.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-18-23, 03:22 PM
georges1
Steel is real

The 7700 at least were welded, and then polished to appear as one piece. Don't know about the 7800s. The cranks that have failed were glued together.
Here is a reviews about the dura ace 7800: dura ace 7800 The 7800 cranks weren't glued but forged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.