Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Same bike: $2200 Ultegra R8000 vs. $2700 105 Di2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Same bike: $2200 Ultegra R8000 vs. $2700 105 Di2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 09:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
I have GRX 810: rear cable broke 2500mi(actually broke on ride), front frayed(poor shifting) 3500mi. Internal routing so had a bike shop do both.
had the same experience- GRX is now gone

Originally Posted by auggiedawg
Di2 lacks tactile feedback and charging a bike is crazy.
hot take…
Old 08-12-23, 11:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The first gen that went under the tape frayed more frequently than the current stuff.

I probably have to replace mine (R8000) every 8,000 - 10,000 miles. If you don't replace it preemptively - I never remember to do it - it can jam up the lever by the time you notice it (usually when you can't shift to both ends of the cassette), which makes removing it a little more of a chore.
That's interesting, because I replaced the cables on my bike with R7000 at about 5000 miles, and it had just started getting reluctant to drop into smaller cogs, especially at the small end of the cassette. Cable had 3 broken strands. I wonder if the reason you seem to get twice the mileage is that you live in a flatter place and are, I imagine, lighter than I am? So you shift less?

IOW, it's not the mileage necessarily. It's the number of shifts.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-12-23, 02:35 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's interesting, because I replaced the cables on my bike with R7000 at about 5000 miles, and it had just started getting reluctant to drop into smaller cogs, especially at the small end of the cassette. Cable had 3 broken strands. I wonder if the reason you seem to get twice the mileage is that you live in a flatter place and are, I imagine, lighter than I am? So you shift less?

IOW, it's not the mileage necessarily. It's the number of shifts.
Yeah, I'm sure shift frequency is the bigger factor than mileage, but whether or not I shift less is anybody's guess. - it's not like I can park it it the 16t and leave it there all day. You probably hit the extremes of the cassette more often than I do, and maybe that affects lifespan, but I'm constantly adjusting mid-cassette on rolling stuff

Edit: fwiw, it's looks like we're at about the same mileage for the year, and you've got about 30% more elevation, so not exactly comparing apples and pineapples.

Last edited by WhyFi; 08-12-23 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 02:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I'm sure shift frequency is the bigger factor than mileage, but whether or not I shift less is anybody's guess. - it's not like I can park it it the 16t and leave it there all day. You probably hit the extremes of the cassette more often than I do, and maybe that affects lifespan, but I'm constantly adjusting mid-cassette on rolling stuff.
And of course, we could only tell how much we shift if we both had Di2, which would negate the experiment.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-12-23, 09:10 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
And of course, we could only tell how much we shift if we both had Di2, which would negate the experiment.
you could load a ride data file in trainingpeaks and look at the gear ratio (speed to cadence) chart, i suppose. I don’t think they have a “count shifts” feature but it would certainly be possible!

i shift a lot, i think, although most big climbs are just small big the whole way.
Old 08-14-23, 12:30 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
Which would you buy?

I'm coming from riding a 1980s steel frame with 11-speed Athena mechanical.

My current thinking is to go "all in" on electronic shifting, disc brakes, carbon frame. And that I should just get the $2700 105 Di2 12-speed. Saving the $500 and going with mechanical 11-speed Ultegra R8000 has some appeal because I like a bargain, but I'm not exactly short on cash. They don't currently offer an Ultegra Di2 right now for the bike I'm considering.
105 is already a very good groupset and I've heard only good things about the DI2 one. You can't go wrong. The 500$ is an investment. You can thank me later.
Old 08-20-23, 09:28 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Di2 would be my choice. I've had electronic shifting since the original shimano iteration.
I rode one of my old 105 bikes the other day and it was barbaric!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-20-23, 09:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Di2 would be my choice. I've had electronic shifting since the original shimano iteration.
I rode one of my old 105 bikes the other day and it was barbaric!
Yeah it’s hard to go back once you get used to electronic shifting. It’s the biggest difference between my two road bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-20-23, 11:02 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I have put over 900 miles on my bike since July 22 including two 100 miler+ rides (one 111 miler) and several 70-80 rides and I am an uncouth heathen no doubt, but not once have I regretted my choice to go mechanical ultegra. I am an old beat down drunk but this ultegra shifts so nice that if I were given the choice tomorrow to swap it to 105di for even $300 I would pass and keep the $300 to buy more beer...
Old 08-20-23, 08:50 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have put over 900 miles on my bike since July 22 including two 100 miler+ rides (one 111 miler) and several 70-80 rides and I am an uncouth heathen no doubt, but not once have I regretted my choice to go mechanical ultegra. I am an old beat down drunk but this ultegra shifts so nice that if I were given the choice tomorrow to swap it to 105di for even $300 I would pass and keep the $300 to buy more beer...
I cannot match jadmt's folksy elegance but he's thinkin' right. I bought a ti 105 di2 bike to tide me over while my Kirk was being built. Kirk has Campy Chorus and it's solid as a rock. The 105 does everything it's supposed to very well but it just doesn't speak to me. Up for sale as I type. fwiw