Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Security

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 04:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
For commuting and errands which require locking a bike outside I would get a cheaper beater bike. I would not risk a $ 3000 dollar bike. It only takes few seconds for an experienced bike thief to cut through a highest security lock. Sometimes they will cut a bike rack instead of a lock to take the bike.
Old 09-28-23, 04:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
I've had a NY Kryptonite for a long time. But I also realize that it's not immune from cutting, a battery operated angle grinder will cut through it in less than a minute. I would not use it for an expensive bike.
Old 09-28-23, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Junky crap that they want you to fund...no thanks not good security. A bike light should be a bike light and it should be solid white at the front with some different brightness settings and red at the rear and that rear light is fine to have flashing modes. It does not need to be an alarm and tracker and disco party light. Trackers are fine but they would need to be hidden in the frame and be good well supported GPS systems that are designed against theft not for misplaced items. However really in the end good locks and locking practices are going to be the best way to prevent theft and also keeping it in your sight. If you want an alarm it is best within a bike lock like these:
https://mobil.abus.com/usa/Products/...s/BORDO-6500KA
or if you are the smart phone type:
https://mobil.abus.com/usa/Products/...hts/770-SmartX
https://mobil.abus.com/usa/Products/...ORDO-One-6500A

Though me personally I would stick with their top end chain lock or folding lock sans alarm but I am just not a big alarm fan. When I hear a car alarm I wish the car would get smashed to bits and that alarm never goes off again. I guess a bike alarm would be different as those are less common and may actually prevent theft.
Old 09-29-23, 06:14 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I never lock my bike.

That’s because it is always with me. If I go inside a store, bank, coffee shop, I ask first and then bring it inside. If they don’t want the bike inside, I thank them and go to a business that allows it. I take it into public restrooms and any place where they allow it and won’t be in the way. Once I was told to leave it outside and told them what the bike was worth, and they changed their mind.

If I can’t bring it inside, I make sure I can see it and get to it in a hurry. I always shift it into it’s highest/gear to make riding away difficult.
Same here. Plus I set my helmet on the ground next to my bike and buckle the strap around either front or rear rim.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-29-23, 06:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Same here. Plus I set my helmet on the ground next to my bike and buckle the strap around either front or rear rim.
+2. I have always wanted to see how well the helmet buckle would hold. The idiot in me tossed a broken helmet without trying that first.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-29-23, 07:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,838 Posts
My thinking is .... a single, very visible lock and chain deters the casual thieves, joyriders, and lazier crack/meth heads. A second very visible lock and chain----however tough the chain actually is (I mean, I cut the length I wanted off a roll at the hardware store .... using a big set of bolt cutters) even further discourages the slightly more enterprising thieves, because it will take twice as long.

Any of the Serious thieves can cut any lock or any chain ... but Most of them (I hope) are looking at Return on Investment----risk/reward balance. Why steal a bike they can only sell for a a hundred dollars when for the same effort hey can steal a better one? The guys in vans with multiple battery-powered cut-off wheels aren't looking to steal older mid-range models or new, big-box bikes .... They are looking for big-name, big-dollar bikes with all the modern components.

I look at bike security as a mental issue ... how big a lock do I need so I will feel secure? It is always a gamble---it is never guaranteed that when I leave the store my bike will be there waiting. How many locks do I need to use so that I can shop with peace of mind>

That is how much you need to spend ... whatever it takes to lock down the thoughts of being robbed.
Old 09-29-23, 09:01 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I'm in the camp that once it's gone, let it be gone. But I take steps to make sure that it doesn't get gone:
  • Never leave the bike unattended
  • If I have to for the time it takes to take a pee, I either lock it to my bike rack with the cable lock or I take it into the john with me
  • If I'm stopping at a restaurant after or before riding, I lock it to the rack, and sit where I can see it and get to it quickly
  • If I can't watch it, I lock it to the rack with the cable lock and then also lock it to the trailer hitch with a hardened steel chain
  • I have a rear facing dash cam that will film any attempt to steal if off the rack
  • I never leave the garage door open when I'm not in the garage or around it
If all that fails, then it's new bike day.
PSA: if you have to bring it into the john with you, remember to turn your GoPro camera OFF.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-29-23, 09:12 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wondering if we have some shilling going on. (No pun intended.)
Yeah, my first thought when I read the original post, was that is was a post by someone trying to drive people to the Kickstarter page, but I've become jaded.
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-29-23, 09:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Angle grinder resistant locks: Hiplock D1000, Litelok X1, X3
Not all that hard to cut, but the prospective thief will wish they hadn't: Skunklock

If there's a situation in your cycling life where an alarm might help, you could try an alarmed motorcycle brake disk lock:

And as always, you can fold it up and take it with you:

Old 09-29-23, 09:39 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveGt
I am a newbie, old one at that just treated myself to a £2.5K mountain bike - looking at how to protect it from theft.
I haven't found an iron-clad way to guard against theft.

Any of the GPS/satellite/cell type trackers can essentially be shielded if that bike is taken to a "dump" room that's reasonably shielded against such stuff (a place where cell phones and 2-way radios don't function). At least long enough that the thief can get to and disable/ditch the tracker.

Any lock can be broken or chain cut, if given enough time.

Myself, I'm of the view that procedures are just as important:
1. Don't leave a bike unattended.
2. If it must be unattended, heavily lock it and protect via surveillance video.
3. Toughest locks and chains possible.
4. Stored in a spot that's hard to get to, indoors if possible at all times (when stored), and well-anchored (locks + chains) to a solid structure.

And still a "good" bike can be gotten to, by a determined thief.

My own choices -- the ABUS line of security, which can come with coverage sufficient to repay theft of a lost bike that was locked up:
1. A couple of the toughest ABUS u-locks -- ie the Granit 770 or 640 line.
2. A tough commercial-grade ABUS padlock -- ie the 37RK line.
3. one of the tougher ABUS chains -- ie the 14KS line.

Heavy stuff, yes. But if you want to avoid theft, ...
Old 09-29-23, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, my first thought when I read the original post, was that is was a post by someone trying to drive people to the Kickstarter page, but I've become jaded.
Sometimes jaded is really a heightened state of awareness.

1. First time poster.

2. Kickstarter campaign of a British concern.

3. Alleged MBT price given in pounds.

4. Not even at 3% of goal, as converted from pounds to dollars.

5. Suggestion that the product is unique. (Why post if you are really going to search further? "I searched but could not find anything similar" would have been less suspicious.)

6, No subsequent posts by the OP.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-29-23 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-29-23, 12:28 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
PSA: if you have to bring it into the john with you, remember to turn your GoPro camera OFF.
Reminds me of the elected official who was on a Zoom-like meeting during the pandemic. He went to the bathroom and forgot to turn off his mic. He could be heard relieving himself and flushing the toilet.
Old 09-29-23, 12:51 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Well, it has only been one day since the OP created the thread.
Old 09-29-23, 01:19 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
And the account.

As to the device itself, something that yells "Hey, your bike is being stolen!" is not the same thing as securing your bike. Maybe an added protection, if clumsy, but not protection in and of itself.

Our tweakers would have no qualms about riding away on a screaming, blinking bike. Nor will the cops investigate, even if you have its location.
Old 09-29-23, 02:13 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Reminds me of the elected official who was on a Zoom-like meeting during the pandemic. He went to the bathroom and forgot to turn off his mic. He could be heard relieving himself and flushing the toilet.
Hopefully he washed his hands!
Old 09-29-23, 02:54 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
People have tracked their stolen bike or stolen photography gear with an airtag. The cops refused to enter the residence that appeared to be the current location of the tag.

Years ago, I did the "shift into the highest gear", or "cross shift while not turning the crank" so a thief can't ride away. Then most of the time, I forgot about it when I got on the bike. A "strap through the spokes" or something similar could be bad if I forget.

Cable locks
I use a cheap coil combination lock (around $8 at Target). It's simple to carry -- it hangs below the cinch strap of my saddle bag. It's strictly for quick store stops for snacks or restroom. I'm just avoiding a spur of the moment "grab and go" thief.

"Real" cable locks are pretty easy to cut open with good electrician diagonal cutters --- a "pro" bike thief, quietly snipping a few strands at a time. It doesn't take long.

Altor SAF lock!
This video from the entertaining "Lock Picking Lawyer" made me laugh: tiny hands!

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-29-23 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-29-23, 03:45 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
N+1.

If I'm dropping $2.5k on a bike that sucker is for riding, not parking outside while I do the grocery shopping. Buy a second bike for 1/10th the price, use that for commuting and locking or whatever else might be on the menu. Use the high-dollar machine for dedicated rides with little to no downtime. (For the record, I'm not dropping $2.5k on a bike any time soon, so this is very much an opinion from the outside looking in.)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-29-23, 05:10 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts

1. First time poster.

2. Kickstarter campaign of a British concern.

3. Alleged MBT price given in pounds.

4. Not even at 3% of goal, as converted from pounds to dollars.

5. Suggestion that the product is unique. (Why post if you are really going to search further? "I searched but could not find anything similar" would have been less suspicious.)

Yep, I'm just surprised no one else commented about it.