Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 10:03 AM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tire Pressure

I’m confused about what air pressure to use for the most speed on tubeless tires. I’ve read a lot of info saying you should decrease the pressure a lot. However, the Silca guide says much higher (for me on smooth roads, 96 rear and 93.5 front).

Anyone have testing results/opinions?

Last edited by rclouviere; 11-27-23 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 10:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
The Silca calcuator is a good starting point/guide, NOT gospel. Be sure you put in correct weight and actual measured tire width.

You probably can reduce the pressure by a few PSI and see how it feels.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-27-23, 10:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I think just like with tubed tires, you should ride the bike and find out what pressure you prefer to run in them and watch your metrics to see if they confirm your perceptions. Pick a number to start with and go from there. The Silca recommendation is as good as any for a starting point.

Your actual road conditions, smoothness or roughness as well as the frequency of bumps will make a difference that no calculator will be able to precisely figure for you.
Old 11-27-23, 10:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
The Silca guide is a reasonable starting point. What width tyres and rider weight did you input?
Old 11-27-23, 10:48 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I don’t go above 80 on 25mm TLs. 80KG rider.
Old 11-27-23, 12:09 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rclouviere
I’m confused about what air pressure to use for the most speed on tubeless tires. I’ve read a lot of info saying you should decrease the pressure a lot. However, the Silca guide says much higher (for me on smooth roads, 96 rear and 85 front).

I’ve used the Silca tire pressure calculator and the front and rear tire pressures have never been different by 11psi. What info are you inputting?
Old 11-27-23, 12:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I’m confused about what air pressure to use for the most speed on tubeless tires. I’ve read a lot of info saying you should decrease the pressure a lot. However, the Silca guide says much higher (for me on smooth roads, 96 rear and 85 front).

If your tubeless wheels are hookless, you do indeed have to reduce your pressure by a lot to be safe per ETRTO. Make sure you also abide by the tire and rim manufacturers specifications -- ie. go with the lowest of the sources. See Silca disclaimer I pasted below

96R/85F -- that seems like a much larger difference than Silca's calculator usually returns between rear and front. Are you running different width tires in Front vs Rear?
Old 11-27-23, 12:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Similar for me. 80R/75F in 26mm Vittoria Corsa Pros. I'm about 180lbs/82kg.
Old 11-27-23, 12:46 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I have inputed data into the Silca calculator the Rene Herse Calculator and the SRAM calculator and all are pretty different.
Old 11-27-23, 12:59 PM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
I’ve used the Silca tire pressure calculator and the front and rear tire pressures have never been different by 11psi. What info are you inputting?
you’re right. My mistake. Front 93.5.
Old 11-27-23, 04:53 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I use the pressure calculator at zipp.com. The results aren't said to be the fastest, AFAIK. The issue is often how smooth or rough the asphalt is. One pressure is never perfect for all conditions. I ride tubeless with hookless rims. At 135 pounds, I never exceed 60 psi with 28-30mm tires. I have a lot of chip sealed roads, so I tend to use lower pressure.
Old 11-27-23, 06:26 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have inputed data into the Silca calculator the Rene Herse Calculator and the SRAM calculator and all are pretty different.
I haven’t tried the RH calculator…..thanks for the info!

I have used Silca and SRAM and find them to be within about 2psi for the rear tire, SRAM being lower. And this is with using the actual measured width for Silca. For example I use 28mm tires, SRAM asks for that value (and the inner rim width) and when inflated the tires actually measure 29mm on my wheels which, if you input 28 vs 29mm in the Silca calculator, makes a significant difference in the calculated pressure. Also, SRAM always has a greater difference between front and rear tires than Silca.

I also have looked closely at the info on rollingresistance.com……so much data to digest in this ‘modern era’ of cycling……I love it!!!
Likes For Biker Pete:
Old 11-27-23, 06:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
I haven’t tried the RH calculator…..thanks for the info!

I have used Silca and SRAM and find them to be within about 2psi for the rear tire, SRAM being lower. And this is with using the actual measured width for Silca. For example I use 28mm tires, SRAM asks for that value (and the inner rim width) and when inflated the tires actually measure 29mm on my wheels which, if you input 28 vs 29mm in the Silca calculator, makes a significant difference in the calculated pressure. Also, SRAM always has a greater difference between front and rear tires than Silca.

I also have looked closely at the info on rollingresistance.com……so much data to digest in this ‘modern era’ of cycling……I love it!!!
Never liked the SRAM calculator, because it is inferring how wide your tires will be for a given rim width, even though it's quite known that different manufacturers nominally label their tire sizes differently versus how they actually inflate. It also only has 2 road surfaces to choose from -- Dry or Wet. Nothing to do with actual texture -- eg. rocky, smooth, dirt, etc. And then of course, since they're heavily invested in selling the hookless variety of wheel through Zipp, I expect their bias on PSI recommendations is always going to be on the low side in order to satisfy the marketing side of their business.

For any calculator, what none of them seem to ask for is the inflated height as well. Even sites like BicycleRollingResistance, will show the inflated height as well as width. I presume a taller inflated height means more air volume than a lesser height (for an equivalent inflated width, and there are sometimes fairly significant differences between tire brands on inflated height.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 11-27-23 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-27-23, 06:56 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
As Sy Reene pasted, Silca's usually is race-focused and gives you the estimated breakpoint pressure -- meaning the maximum pressure before rolling resistance is expected to increase. Note that going too high increases Crr more than running pressure under that breakpoint, so it should be treated as an upper limit. The reasons the common wisdom is to use lower pressure for tubeless setups than tubed are 1) that it's more comfortable, 2) you don't have to worry about pinch flats with tubeless, and 3) you won't increase Crr much, so the trade-off tends to be worth it, especially for running narrower tires.

My recommendations would be to try lower pressures and see whether you like how the bike handles. Your goal should be to have your bike feels smooth, not sluggish or squirmy.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-27-23, 07:02 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Never liked the SRAM calculator, because it is inferring how wide your tires will be for a given rim width, even though it's quite known that different manufacturers nominally label their tire sizes differently versus how they actually inflate. It also only has 2 road surfaces to choose from -- Dry or Wet. Nothing to do with actual texture -- eg. rocky, smooth, dirt, etc. And then of course, since they're heavily invested in selling the hookless variety of wheel through Zipp, I expect their bias on PSI recommendations is always going to be on the low side in order to satisfy the marketing side of their business.

For any calculator, what none of them seem to ask for is the inflated height as well. Even sites like BicycleRollingResistance, will show the inflated height as well as width. I presume a taller inflated height means more air volume than a lesser height (for an equivalent inflated width, and there are sometimes fairly significant differences between tire brands on inflated height.
Great info. I love getting down into the weeds with all this stuff.

Regarding my own journey, I just recently came into the ‘modern era’ with the purchase of a used Kestrel from 2016. Still old fashioned rim brakes, cabled shifters, no power meter. But I did ‘upgrade’ the Zipp carbon wheels optimized for 23mm tires with new ‘aero’ ‘tubeless ready’ carbon wheels optimized for 28mm tires. Hence my investigation into the tire pressure calculators.
Likes For Biker Pete:
Old 11-28-23, 02:51 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
I’m confused about what air pressure to use for the most speed on tubeless tires. I’ve read a lot of info saying you should decrease the pressure a lot. However, the Silca guide says much higher (for me on smooth roads, 96 rear and 93.5 front).

I've seen a max. inflation of 72psi on some tubeless tires, so check the info on your tire against the Silca recommendation to make sure your tires can safely take 96 / 93.5 psi.

As for the pressure that will provide the most speed... there is no single magical number. It depends. And it will change based on weather conditions, road conditions, and the specific tires you are using. As stated by others, the Silca guide is a good starting point. Start there and feel free to experiment until you find what you like. At the end of the day, the best pressure is the one that works best for you.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 11-28-23, 07:33 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Same here by accident when I realized the pressure gage on my very old pump was reading way low when I replaced the pump.
Old 11-28-23, 08:29 AM
DaveSSS 

What hasn't been mentioned is to verify the accuracy of your pump gauge. That's not easy to do unless you want to purchase a pricey gauge that's for calibration purposes. I use liquid filled Winters brand gauges for calibration, with the gauge attached to some pipe with a presta valve attached to it. My old silca 0-160 psi gauge was off by 8 psi, only delivering 72 instead of 80. I replaced it with a much larger diameter Winters gauge. I use a 0-100 psi gauge, since I never use more than 60. I can compare several gauges at once. My newest lezyne pump is accurate.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-28-23, 09:01 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
What hasn't been mentioned is to verify the accuracy of your pump gauge.
Accuracy isn't very important for most people. Once you find a pressure that works best for you, the actual number on the pump is irrelevant. Day-to-day repeatability is all you really need.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-28-23, 09:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Most tires have a specific rim width that's used as a basis for the advertised width. It's usually listed on the packaging. Wider rims will result in a wider mounted width. I have some 25mm internal width hookless rims. The narrowest tire that can be used is a 28mm and not all of those are approved for that rim width. 28mm tires will measure about 31mm on a 25mm IW rim and 30mm tires measure about 33mm. I've only used Michelin and Pirelli tires. Both measure about the same.
Old 11-28-23, 09:33 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Accuracy isn't very important for most people. Once you find a pressure that works best for you, the actual number on the pump is irrelevant. Day-to-day repeatability is all you really need.
I have two pumps and want similar results. Those pushing the 73psi limit with hookless might want accuracy.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-28-23, 09:58 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
digital Air Pressure Regulators with a zero-out feature tends to be a less expensive route to test tire inflation tools for accuracy.
Old 11-28-23, 10:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
What hasn't been mentioned is to verify the accuracy of your pump gauge. That's not easy to do unless you want to purchase a pricey gauge that's for calibration purposes. I use liquid filled Winters brand gauges for calibration, with the gauge attached to some pipe with a presta valve attached to it. My old silca 0-160 psi gauge was off by 8 psi, only delivering 72 instead of 80. I replaced it with a much larger diameter Winters gauge. I use a 0-100 psi gauge, since I never use more than 60. I can compare several gauges at once. My newest lezyne pump is accurate.
"That's not easy to do unless you want to purchase a pricey gauge that's for calibration purposes." But there is something you can do that is easy and cheap. Every time you pump your tires with a known pump, squeeze them with your fingers. You will get to know what an 80 psi tire feels like. When a pump is far off, you'll know. (And you will start associating the finger squeeze with ride feel. Gauge no longer needed at all. I rode and raced for a decade before I owned a gauge. It was never an issue.)
Old 11-28-23, 10:06 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
I have two pumps and want similar results.
Accuracy isn't very important for most people. You can do whatever you like.
Those pushing the 73psi limit with hookless might want accuracy.
The 73 psi limit is chosen somewhat arbitrarily and the actual maximum safe pressure varies with tire and rim combos. Inflating your tubeless tires right up to the 73 psi limit with a "calibrated" pump might make you feel safer, but it's not doing much for you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-28-23, 10:12 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Same here by accident when I realized the pressure gage on my very old pump was reading way low when I replaced the pump.
Exactly my thoughts. How do I know how accurate my gauge is? Probably close enough.

If I were going for the world hour record on a track I would worry. Riding to the next town with a bunch of 70-year-old for cake and coffee, not so much. As long as I don't get a flat.

That said, I run Conti 5000 tires at about 90psi. Or so my pump says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.